Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 2751 times)

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
Harvey
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »

In Katy nr, Houston as Harvey lands between Port Aransas and Port O'Connor. Thinking about moving my melodeons upstairs! Plenty of time indoors in the next few days which means practice!

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »

Stephen, even your melodeons aren't as important as keeping yourself safe. Be careful!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »

The upside is that you're unlikely to piss the neighbours off if a) they've all scarpered and b) you can't be heard over the howling wind.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »

Just seen on the morning news ( 9am here ) that it's touched down as a cat 4 hurricane.
Good luck, keep safe and enjoy the enforced practice.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

Thanks guys! Sounds like the beginning of 40 days and 40 nights out there. Looking for my ark plans, I know they are somewhere. Now I will need 2 Hohner's (of each type), 2 Castagnari's, 2 Dino Bafetti's etc. I hope my wife understands!

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »

The last I'd heard is that you can expect 35"/1m of rain over the next few days as unusually Harvey is expected to stay instead of moving on.
Sounds like the Ark plans are a good idea!

If you get 2 Hohners, 2 Castagnaris etc does that mean you can expect a family of Preciosas and Giordys later?
if so every cloud gas a silver lining  ;D
Good luck mate
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

triskel

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »

Keep safe, my thoughts are with you, and the Worralls.

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

Good luck Stephen (syale)!

In Miami we know what that's like . . . at least, from two hits in 2005 and some near misses since.

Waterproof those boxes, but mainly keep yourselves safe!

Paul

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »

How are you ding Steve? Wet?
Take care.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 01:48:49 AM »

Raining very heavy. Under a flash flood and tornado watch for the next hour. There have been several touchdowns, one only about 10 miles from here to the west of Katy. Watching over the air channels as the satellite dish is not good in heavy storms. The rain is pelting down but so relaxing to listen to. Expecting another lull for a few hours before the next band comes through. The problem Houston/Katy is its flat so it floods very quickly. Some of the bayou's have burst their banks already.

Stephen

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »

Should we be worrying about you, Stephen?

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 02:03:37 AM »

No, as an old Royal Navy guy I am prepared. Safe area under the stairs, generator in the garage, window A/C unit, tarps, wood and hammer ready and 42 gallons of water in bottles in the bath. The rain has just eased off so it will be quite for a few hours. Watching Midsomer Murders on PBS. Thanks for the concern.

Stephen

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 03:05:36 AM »

Good, thank you.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 08:31:22 AM »

We were in Fort Myers Florida when a " No Name Storm " hit. We lost the roof off the place we were staying and that was bad enough. It must be terrifying Stephen, keep safe.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »

I live about 35 miles west of Houston and probably 150ft above sea level. There is catastrophic flooding in Houston. The storm is not moving fast so it dumping on the dirty side, to the east. Another night of biblical proportion rainfall.

Stephen

Grape Ape

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »

Sounds like you live near my brother in law as he gives the same reports.  Be safe and I LOVE Midsommer Murders!!!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »

Stay safe...is all
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:02 AM »

Well my street flooded tonight. Not my house. We are about 1 foot from the top of the foundation to the top of the water. The water is at a little over curb height at 8 inches. The water has stabilized and the rain has abated for now. The drains are not flowing as the reservoirs and floodplains are full. The corp of engineers are going to do a controlled release into Buffalo Bayou at 2 am Monday morning CST which may bring some relief for us but there there may be a backflow. TV is telling us this is a 1000 year event. Never thought I would ever see this in my subdivision. We are staying put for now but have everything ready in case we need to go. The estimate for rain before this completes is 50 inches. Houston is a complete mess  :(

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 04:52:59 AM »

The really good news, for us, is that we have begun to drain again (10:30 PM). The middle of the street is now visible!

Stephen
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:03:35 AM by syale »

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

It's morning here, and just catching up.
Reading your earlier post was worrying, I'm glad the water is receding.
Fingers crossed you're over the worst.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal