Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this dry tuning?  (Read 888 times)

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Is this dry tuning?
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:51:59 AM »

I decided to tweak a flat sounding G reed on my old Hohner single row 2-voice. This is my first attempt at altering the pitch of a reed. After the tweak the reed sounded amazing to my ears. I am sure it is much drier than the Hohner sound I am used to, but I would like to know what to ask for should I decide to have the box re-tuned at some time. Using the Cleartune app I found the following result 1st reed 393.7 hz. (+7.5) 2nd reed 394.7 hz. (+11)The standard pitch  is quoted as 392,  so they are close together and also sharp. I am not sure exactly what this means - Is it the dry (I think) tuning attracting me or possibly the slight sharpness also.
If I was to have the entire box sound like this would I have a difference of 1 hertz between reeds on each note, or would it alter up und down the keyboard?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Is this dry tuning?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »

No it's not dry, but it is close to dry. 1Hz difference is usually described as "swing" but swing can also mean slightly wetter than that.  The best way to communicate what you want to someone tuning for you is to ask for tuning based on 1Hz difference. Or play the note to your tuning person and ask them to make the rest of the box match that one.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: Is this dry tuning?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »

That sounds like a good plan. I will be in touch Theo.
Many thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal