Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay, paypal, moneygram  (Read 1705 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Ebay, paypal, moneygram
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

Hi guys,

I am in doubt. I have found a beautiful instrument on ebay. It is located in Rumania, and the guy needs money fast so sells cheap...

But at first he didnt want to do it via ebay, but wanted money via "moneygram". I suggested we use paypal but he says hedoesnt trust paypal and showed me this : http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I suggested we still do it via ebay.

It feels a bit fishy, but this can also be becuase the sellers English isnt all that great. And i would really like the instrument for the price we discussed.
I know there are some experienced buyers/sellers here, what are your suggestions to do this safely?

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

triskel

Re: Ebay, paypal, moneygram
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »

I'm sorry but the seller sounds like a classic scammer to me...  :(

Don't touch it with a bargepole!!!

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »

Don't touch it with a bargepole!!!

Yes, i am afraid so too,...but i so want that instrument,...
W
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »

In general, is there a rather safe way, besides paypal for these deals?

(i mean, besides picking the stuff up yourself ofcourse)
:-)
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »

Loads of safe ways to send money, none of which will refund your money if it's a scam. Paypal is your guarantee, and that's why it costs.
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »

Quote from the Moneygram website.....

Internet purchases
Have you found something online that interests you - a puppy, a car, an apartment for rent or any item for sale? Does the price for the item seem to be too good to be true and are you being asked to pay for the item through a MoneyGram money transfer? Unfortunately, this is a SCAM. Do not send money for the item to the seller. They may even send you a letter or e-mail of authentication telling you that you have purchased the item but need to wire funds first. Do not send the money. It is a SCAM. You will receive no merchandise. Once money is wired and received it cannot be recovered and unfortunately you will be at loss for any money transferred.

Why not send this back to the reseller as a response to the PayPalSucks web link? His response should be interesting.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

Maybe offer to pick up in person, either you or an imaginary friend. If he declines without good reason, then you can safely assume its a scam.

But perhaps check out cheap flights, just in case it's genuine. Then the problem might be that a cheap air ticket won't allow carry-on baggage of that nature.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Maybe offer to pick up in person, either you or an imaginary friend. If he declines without good reason, then you can safely assume its a scam.

But perhaps check out cheap flights, just in case it's genuine. Then the problem might be that a cheap air ticket won't allow carry-on baggage of that nature.

lol, yeah.

Yeah, it is probably on of those "too good to be true" things. Thx for helping me decide people!
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

triskel

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »

Yes, i am afraid so too,...but i so want that instrument,...

I don't suppose he even has the instrument to sell you and, if you pay him for it, you will still never get it.  >:(

Grape Ape

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »

Also, most people, myself included, have used paypal for years without issues.  Otherwise it wouldn't continue to exist.  The posts on that website are written by people who lack a command of the English language though they are native speakers.  These are the same types of people who probably have difficulty with many goods and services.  I would have to seriously trust someone before sending money any other way.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:47:25 AM »

No instrument is that nice. If it looks like like a bargain/unusually attractive offer it's probably bait.
Too good to be true=too good to be true. 
If it isn't and he's genuine, well, no harm done. Another bus will be along soon.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal