Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: If something is played too fast for your taste ... why not try the next thread?  (Read 14872 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon

Yes, I'll be at the bar too if I don't like the way something is played, but *totally respect* someone else's choice of style.
They have a right to express themselves in the way they want, as do I.

A thought has struck me from Bob's comment about playing at a different speed than you would typically play a tune.
If someone plays it differently, slower/faster/slightly different rhythm, embrace it, try it. You might find their version gives a different perspective on your version and you can decide afterwards whether you too might play it differently.
I also agree strongly with his comment - if you start a tune then it's 'your tune' played at that speed you've started it at.
I too hate it when others ramp up your tune to their speed.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

For what it's worth I can think of plenty of examples of people playing slowly and unmusically. Or indulging themselves in how expressive they believe they are being. Fast is not the only taste bypass. I  like Squeezy's suggestion to put up or shut up but have to admit that the forum would be a poorer place for it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

People can say what they like and they frequently do!

My suggestion would be if you see a video clip of someone playing a tune that you think is just a little too fast or over-ornamented for your liking (even if it is technically brilliant) then you should say so and also upload an example of yourself playing the tune a little slower for us all to see how much better the tune could be!

That should sort the wheat from the chaff!

So I'm not allowed to have a view about things I can't do myself then? Rules out having a view abount 99.9999% of stuff in the world.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

Nobody could accuse you, Lester, of not putting up. Your tunes thread speaks for you.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris

People can say what they like and they frequently do!

My suggestion would be if you see a video clip of someone playing a tune that you think is just a little too fast or over-ornamented for your liking (even if it is technically brilliant) then you should say so and also upload an example of yourself playing the tune a little slower for us all to see how much better the tune could be!

That should sort the wheat from the chaff!

I suppose we should differentiate between playing and listening. I'll happily stand by what I said with regard to playing in a session.
So far as listening goes, I'm just as  happy to acknowledge that a piece may be being played far more competently and skillfully than I could ever manage and I could not play it better. I still can't see anything wrong with giving a personal opinion on how much I like or dislike a piece of music presented as a virtuoso piece, though.

I'm not talking about saying something nasty, calculated  to undermine the confidence of an amateur player trying to give  his best performance (I know that player might well be me). It's something I've never done and something I do not plan to start doing. The THINK acronym is spot on, wrt this, but I do think it's ok to say what I like and don't like about a presentation performance even if I can't do it myself (yet (:) ).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

" Fast is not the only taste bypass...."
very true!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

I agree with Greg.
We are all different and have different tastes and ability.
Saying I don't like x's version, but prefer y's version shows we have opinions, can differentiate between styles and speeds, and gives us direction to our learning.
i.e. I will learn it and try and play it this way, as I prefer it to that way.

Surely that is a valid way to focus your learning and go forward?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

A tune I enjoy playing is Chain Cotilion (a.k.a. The Sussex Cotillion). I play it at a stately tempo, but at both Sidmouth and Whitby, each time I started this tune, others cranked up the tempo well beyond that at which I started it On one occasion at Whitby, I just threw my hands up in frustration and stopped playing..

I don't just stop playing, any longer, I shout WHOA! and then start over at my speed again. This way people may learn a little session etiquette otherwise it just becomes the norm to take over.

mory

I think the issue was to not kill off someone's post of something they find joyful by jumping on it in a manner that detracted from the joy they were sharing. Nothing more nothing less. We all have opinions but we all as a community have a responsibility to each other. We all see the same things occur over and over again on here where the same people seem to stamp on others enjoyment or stifle conversation or discussion, all in the name of "I have the right".....Mention sound board for instance!! Or where someone is putting something up for sale and it immediately breaks into an opinionated distraction from the object of the post. Or the demonizing of some poor sap trying to sell something on eBay where they instantly become some con artist or low life when all there really doing is trying to sell something. Is that really the outside face or even the inside one we'd like to present. Just because we have a right to our opinion that doesn't stop our opinions sometimes being that of an ass. All the Best mory hehaw hehaw
 etiquette now there's a word, the thread drift here seems to be taking over the OPs intent

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie

I don't just stop playing, any longer, I shout WHOA! and then start over at my speed again. This way people may learn a little session etiquette otherwise it just becomes the norm to take over.

He does, he does indeed. Especially, I might add, when silly people are playing over intermediate/beginner players at steady-speed sessions.  A habit I *may* have picked up as the nominal organiser of one such sessions  >:E
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?

[[ADMIN]]

As a general principle the following should help.

If someone posts some music that *you* don't like then it's perfectly valid to say so.  You are describing your own response to the music.  If you say that music is too fast/too slow/ and therefore it is rubbish that is not ok. Each persons response to the music is what it is. 

A wise musician once taught me that there are two types of music - music I like, and music I have not yet learned to like.

Good advise Theo (:)

I think the T part of my acronym allows us to have different views about what we like (or what is true), and the rest of it may help with how to express or not with respect to our fellow members. I think the OP is asking is it necessary? Or should one just move on to something they do like.
As Smiley basically said, it's not what you say but how it's said.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........

Is it just me, or do the words "storm" and "teacup"spring to anyone else's mind...?
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

I think the central issue in this particular teacup tempest is majority and minority attitudes. The majority of members here are interested in English music and to a lesser degree French music. Then there is a significant minority whose main interest is Irish music. (And many other minority interests of course.)

The minority, generally, behave in a way that minorities do: it's unwise to upset the majority. The majority also behave in a way that majorities often do, which is - all too often - to look down on the minority. Or express their opinions bluntly, doubtless unaware of the sensitivities of the minority.

Partly this is musical ethnocentrism, flying the flag as it were, going back to the "No Reels" era. Partly it may be a musical inferiority complex. >:E  Partly just insularity.

Yes it is a storm in a teacup GPS but I'd say it appears more that way if you are on the majority side. There have been a series of members from Ireland who have gone away or who only contribute very rarely because of the insensitivity or barely concealed negativity towards Irish music.

I suppose I could say I can't do English music authentically, on the box anyway, and yes I do regard that as a reason - along with good manners - not to comment on lots of lumpy and unmusical renditions. And of course the point that Greg (I think) and others have made about comments directed at professional as opposed to amateurs and learners is very valid. But I think we should all remember that this is not the back room of a pub. Anything you post here can be read by anyone, anywhere, for possibly the next 100 years or until we are all flooded back to the stone age.  :|glug

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo

Roger, I think you nailed it.
Associated comment:  just returning from Clifftop, the Queen Mother of Old Time Music "festivals", I observe and marvel at the same phenom, the interest/ability/enjoyment? of sometimes playing at breakneck speed.  Some people seem to love it, but I will continue to enjoy hating it.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

richard.fleming

Well said Stiamh. As I've said before, you'd have to go a long way in Europe to find a traditional music as vital and as authentic as Irish music, and I'm very fed up of people (that I'm restraining myself from being rude about) dismissing it. Most of them aren't skilled enough to play it, I suspect.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie

The majority of members here are interested in English music and to a lesser degree French music. Then there is a significant minority whose main interest is Irish music. (And many other minority interests of course.)

The minority, generally, behave in a way that minorities do: it's unwise to upset the majority. The majority also behave in a way that majorities often do, which is - all too often - to look down on the minority. Or express their opinions bluntly, doubtless unaware of the sensitivities of the minority.

Without wishing to get drawn into this particular debate I would just like to make the point that as a player of lumpy English music I generally feel I am in the minority and, in fact, that it is my culture and traditions that are often regarded as inferior. This can make me somewhat defensive, although I hope never offensive to other melnetters.

The reason I felt the need to make this observation here is that Stiamh expresses the opposite view but his views are clearly as genuine and heartfelt as mine - maybe we all need to stand back a little and consider what we have in common rather than the differences between our individual traditions.  Wouldn't that be nice eh?

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

nigelr

• Respected Sage

The majority of members here are interested in English music and to a lesser degree French music.
I have been visiting this forum less and less recently as it all seems to be about French/Euro rather than English, so I find it interesting that we all have different perceptions.

EDIT:  Just realised Helena has posted almost exactly the same point!
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up

A good friend of mine refers to my style of playing as "Southern Plodding"...we're still good friends and I like what he plays...horses etc :neigh:
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.

T he reason I'm
H ere,
I s to gain
N owledge about all things melodeon.
K indly members here have helped me enormously.

(But not with my pretended dyslexia!)

I find it pretty awful (even pathetic, if I were perfectly honest) that any members should take the huff over perceived insults, whether they're meant or entirely in the recipients head. There are serious things going on all over the world which actually effect people's lives, while here on Melnet, members are talking about not looking so often, or even leaving, simply because someone has had the temerity to disagree with their own personal taste. Give me strength!
Perhaps we could do with Theo putting on his stern matron's face, and sending us all to bed without our cocoa?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions

"The music don't mind, pump up the bagpipe!" from an old song we writ yonks ago  (:)

However, I do object to folks speeding up "my tune".
Sometimes, like Bob I simply throw up my hands and have been known to death stare the perpetrators.
Other times, I shout "brakes" and happily start the tune over again, just like Lester does.

Then again, I often start "my tune" too fast at which time I am right in the poo!
Please note: all of the above may depend on cider levels.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal