Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: If something is played too fast for your taste ... why not try the next thread?  (Read 14859 times)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website

When Andrew said "no reels" I knew just what he was referring to!

Yes. He was referring to my earlier post in this thread. ;) I brought the matter up because I was around and playing trad music in England at the time that record came out.

Spot on, it's your fault that I didn't explain properly and assumed everybody would know what I was going on about   :P

(Just waiting to be taken off to play a gig at the Midlands History Festival).

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website

When Andrew said "no reels" I knew just what he was referring to!  Am I cross-culturally literate or what?  And it sent me down to the vinyl archive, where we have our collection organized more or less by date...
Pulled from the stack:

No Reels, Old Swan Band
Fieldovole Music, Tony Hall
Bothy Band, 1975 at Dublin Sound
Flute for the Feis, John Doonan
McGreevy & Cooley, 1974 Library of Congress (recorded at Earth Audio, became Philo)
Tommy Peoples and Paul Brady, The High Part of the Road
Alistair Anderson, Traditional Tunes 1975, Front Hall
Clare Concertinas, Tommy McMahon and Bernard O'Sullivan, Topic, 1975
Plain Capers, with John Kirkpatrick  (one of my absolute favorites, have just about worn it out...)
How to Make a Bakewell Tart, Tufty Swift and the Harrises
Bees on Horseback, Flowers and Frolics (whatever became of these folks...)  some great medleys...

Andrew, thanks for the rememeries...

I have all of those other than the second to last  :-)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........

I may be alone in being astonished at this thread's apparently inexhaustible capacity to generate hot air. Some of us like tunes faster, some of us like them slower, others couldn't care less either way.  Play or listen to tunes at the speed you enjoy; I don't understand the apparently major issue....????
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.

"Flute for the Feis, John Doonan"

"John Doonan, Champion Flute Player of All Ireland." That's how he used to be introduced in the folk clubs in the North East. I well remember him helping me out when I suddenly forgot the words in the middle of a song one night. It was quite surprising, really, as the song was an "Orange" thing which I only chose to sing in response to a dozen or so Irish rebel songs that had been sung off the belt and had wound me up. What a charming old bloke he was.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

mselic

I may be alone in being astonished at this thread's apparently inexhaustible capacity to generate hot air. Some of us like tunes faster, some of us like them slower, others couldn't care less either way.  Play or listen to tunes at the speed you enjoy; I don't understand the apparently major issue....????
The issue is that some feel compelled to continuously make known their distaste for tunes played at a certain speed, even when their opinions were not solicited. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and everyone has the right to express it, but just because one can doesn't necessarily mean  one should.  The original clip was posted for the enjoyment of whoever might find interest in it. What I don't understand is why those who didnt enjoy it feel the need to tell everyone how much they dislike it.  It is, of course, their right to do so, but it's beyond me why one would.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Lyra

Because it is, in this forum, (ahem) "traditional" so to do?

........................ I'll get my coat

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?

In my earlier THINK post, I said I was guilty of offending some,(clarification) what I meant was that I said some stupid things trying to be funny or what not. With regret after and apologized for it and if I didn't, well then I'm sorry.

But I've never said negative things about any music stuff on here or on UT and no thumbs down.

If I don't like something I just shut it off and go to the next.

Comments "Traditional" or not, when negative do devalue the post and the posters feeling about what is good or might be of interest to others and aren't helpful and the comments are not going to change the way we view things, so what's the point?

Please inlighten me as to how this helps the forum overall.

I can't remember hearing you are playing to slow it's not musical ( pretty much calling it rubbish)
Maybe some one clever could do a search, that wouldn't be me, and find such a comment.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

george garside

the musicality /speed  relationship is  a common sense one.  Most tunes have a range of  speeds within which they are pleasant to listen to  and which benefit from differing rhythm  relative to speed eg a 4/4 played as a march, hornpipe, reel  ,etc so that musicaliry is maintained  in a way that it may  not if just speeded up or down. Irrespective of ones personal likes or preferences criticism is not warranted  if musicality is maintained. Similarly a beginner just about getting the right notes in the right order is perfectly acceptable,  we've all been there!

To me it makes sense for forum harmony and the encouragement of  fellow players  to be positive and compliment  those playing the way we like  whilst  refraining from  chucking in negative comments about playing we are less than keen on and worth remembering that there are bound to be 'others'  who are less than keen on some or all of our   renditions!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

[[ADMIN]]

Thank you George.  Let's finish it there on a positive note.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal