Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: First attempt at box fettling  (Read 18163 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
First attempt at box fettling
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »

Having my first go at refurbishing a box. I am stripping down an old Hohner Koch. Firstly, what thickness felt/leather should I use to reface the pallets. Then, when it comes to repairing the bellows, can I re-tape over old tape, which is thin, and frayed in places, ( it won't come off) and, how do I take off the decorative corners on the frames, as they need recovering. They appear to be held on with round headed tacks. What should I recover them with?

Sir John

Just another thought, what should I use to replace the wee round paper discs, that attach the pallets, to the levers?
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: First attempt at box fettling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »

Having my first go at refurbishing a box. I am stripping down an old Hohner Koch. Firstly, what thickness felt/leather should I use to reface the pallets.
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Felt_Leather_Pallets.html#4

Then, when it comes to repairing the bellows, can I re-tape over old tape, which is thin, and frayed in places,
I wouldn't

( it won't come off)
Yes it will, gentle application of damp cloth will soften the glue and allow the paper to be removed.

and, how do I take off the decorative corners on the frames, as they need recovering. They appear to be held on with round headed tacks. What should I recover them with?
Don't know without a picture.

Sir John

Just another thought, what should I use to replace the wee round paper discs, that attach the pallets, to the levers?
Nothing, they are, in my estimation, of no practical use.

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »

I use fine leather that I've punched out of offcuts from other projects for capping off pallets, saves getting strings of glue everywhere, if you want some drop me a PM.

Mike. 

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Funnily enough, I've just got round to finishing the refurb on the Bb/Eb Koch whose bellows restoration I posted about ages ago. For refacing the pallets I used Charlie Marshall's felt-backed Persian leather.  As far as the bellows is concerned, I elected to remove all the old tape - in fact I removed all the old paper as well, as it was in a parlous state . The problem with taping over the old stuff is that it is, as you say, much thinner than modern bellows tape., and the extra bulk of new tape over old could well make the bellows uncomfortably bulky. The old stuff WILL come off, but you need HUGE supplies of patience, time, luke-warm water and sharp scalpel blades.  I lost track of how long it took me to strip the bellows -certainly a couple of months, on and off. Then there is the issue that the new taping won't match the frames; that's why I decided on a complete strip and restoration. I used a leather-grained bookbinding paper that goes by the name of Skivertex (I got mine on eBay, but I'm sure there are other suppliers: Nick C-B - any suggestions?) for the tapes and frames.

The metal corners are held on by ordinary reed nails - carefully slip a fine blade, such as a palette knife, under the head of the nail and gently work it upwards. Or if you're going to refurb the frames anyway, slip a blade under the metal decoration and lever the whole thing gently off. Beware: those metal corners are very thin, soft stampings and you do need to go VERY gently to avoid damaging them.

Hope this helps.

On my own Koch I have just the last bank of treble reeds to valve and refit to the reedblock, then the last odds and ends of reassembly, a final tweak to the tuning, and with a bit of luck I should be able to post a couple of pics and maybe a soundclip in the next week or so.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Graham Spencer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »

Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »

John, I found that the application of a soldering iron on the heads of the nails holding the corners on made their removal much easier...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

Not sure if Lester was referring to these - anyway, they are cloth and held on with pearl glue or similar.

If you want the same look, you can punch some more out of some cloth (e.g. strips of old sheet, soaked in dilute PVA and allowed to dry), or similar using leather as above. It's not too hard, and you don't need to get all the old glue off, but it's a bit of a fart.
Or you can do the same, but cut strips and have them square.
Or you can use a hot glue gun, the modern way  (:) Trick is to allow plenty of time for it to heat up.
Whichever, finish all the other pallet stuff and button height setting first.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:28 PM »

Thanks Lester, but isn't it available in different thicknesses?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Graham Spencer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »

Thanks Lester, but isn't it available in different thicknesses?

SJ

The 2.5mm will be fine for your Koch; it's what I used on mine.  You may find the button height a little lower than it was with the original plain leather, but that's probably a good thing in most cases......

Graham

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »

Don't use a scalpel to tease off bellows tape You'll end up cutting a slit of puncturing the card, not to mention cutting your fingers. Personally use a long bladed bone handled dinner knife, with the round ended blade. The bone handle isn't mandatory.  You can get such items from eBay.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:45 AM »

Don't use a scalpel to tease off bellows tape You'll end up cutting a slit of puncturing the card, not to mention cutting your fingers. Personally use a long bladed bone handled dinner knife, with the round ended blade. The bone handle isn't mandatory.  You can get such items from eBay.

I always use a scalpel and have never punctured either the bellows or myself.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »

Likewise  ;)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »

actually it's ok to use a scalpel, unless you are a clumsy person like me (:)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

I use a scalpel and frequently puncture myself - ooooww!

Reminds me of that old cowboy song "Blood on the bellows", or was it a Dylan album?
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

I use a scalpel and frequently puncture myself - ooooww!

Reminds me of that old cowboy song "Blood on the bellows", or was it a Dylan album?

That is the main problem with scalpels, they are so sharp you don't notice you've stuck your self until there is blood everywhere  (:)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »

Yes, I too have a bone handled kitchen knife with a round end, I may revert to that.
Mind you, it's such a sh..ty job that I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the workbench.
I've often been tempted to send the whole thing to Lester  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »

:P

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »

Yes it's not a lot of fun, only surpassed as an unpopular job by the box where some clever person has used silicone to glue the bellows frames to the ends
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »

Yes, I too have a bone handled kitchen knife with a round end, I may revert to that.
Mind you, it's such a sh..ty job that I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the workbench.

I tried that once, but he persuaded me (nicely) not to.  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

Yes it's not a lot of fun, only surpassed as an unpopular job by the box where some clever person has used silicone to glue the bellows frames to the ends

I think I may be bidding on one like that at the moment, but I want it...  :(

MAD strikes again!  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal