Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: First attempt at box fettling  (Read 18167 times)

tirpous

Re: First attempt at box fettling
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »

Yes it's not a lot of fun, only surpassed as an unpopular job by the box where some clever person has used silicone to glue the bellows frames to the ends

I think I may be bidding on one like that at the moment, but I want it...  :(

No problem, just send it to Theo if it turns out to be glued !   ;D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »

Pufft!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »

Anybody understand Geordie?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »

It's French!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »

I don't know how to measure bellows, so I am baffled, but these seem to be the same size as my old bellows. So does anyone think they's fit?

Sir John

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Bellows_Tape.html#15

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »

Those bellows are designed to fit a Pokerwork-style instrument with slim, modern frames; your Koch has old-style wide frames, and aside from any size issues I'd be doubtful if they could be persuaded to fit comfortably. I could be entirely wrong - more experienced hands than I will soon tell us if I am, but personally I would bite the bullet and do a full refurb on the existing bellows, or else get a custom-made replacement using  the original frames.  I have no experience of  these Chinese products, but I'm guessing it's a bit like pattern parts compared with original manufacturer's parts in car restoration - they sort of fit, but take a lot of fiddling and fettling to get them to sit right and look as if they belong. Again, I could be quite wrong.

I'd also be a bit worried on the aesthetic front  by a modern-looking bellows on an old instrument. Just my opinion - it's your box, and your decision. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »

I tend to agree Graham, I suppose I'm just trying to avoid a job, that promises to be a bugger to do.

Sir John

triskel

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »

Yes it's not a lot of fun, only surpassed as an unpopular job by the box where some clever person has used silicone to glue the bellows frames to the ends

I think I may be bidding on one like that at the moment, but I want it...  :(

No problem, just send it to Theo if it turns out to be glued !   ;D

Never fear, I have my trusty Kugihiki!  8)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »

I don't know how to measure bellows, so I am baffled, but these seem to be the same size as my old bellows. So does anyone think they's fit?

Sir John

If you want new bellows I recommend Igor

http://vsezaharmoniko.com/sestavni-deli-za-harmoniko/mehi-za-harmoniko?product_id=102

You can send him your old ones on the frames and he returns them with new bellows or, as I do, specify fully what you want and they appear in a couple of weeks. I've had a couple of sets and both my customers were very happy with them.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »

Anybody understand Geordie?
SJ
You need this Sir John, or this, or drop me a PM and you can borrow my copy  >:E
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »

It's French!

Surely it's the sound a monkey makes.  They just don't know the difference between frogs and monkeys up there.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »

Sir John

http://vsezaharmoniko.com/sestavni-deli-za-harmoniko/mehi-za-harmoniko?product_id=102

You can send him your old ones on the frames and he returns them with new bellows or, as I do, specify fully what you want and they appear in a couple of weeks. I've had a couple of sets and both my customers were very happy with them.

I shall do just that thing. Having looked closely at the existing ones, I find that there is no metal corner under the repair tape, and the bellows are worn through on one corner, where they are attached to the frame. So it's a much bigger job than retaping.
I assume that it is best to remove the straps, metal corners, and screws etc, before sending them to Igor?

Sir John

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »

I tend to agree Graham, I suppose I'm just trying to avoid a job, that promises to be a bugger to do.

Sir John

That's what fettlers are for.... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »

Sir John

Another Vote for Igors Bellows, I send him the old frames and Miraculously a couple of weeks later the new Bellows appear, I now have 4 sets on various boxes, and have absolutely no complaints about the workmanship, service, or Especially the price.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

If and when you get your replacement bellows, please post a pic or two; I'd be very interested to see them  I'm glad I had the experience of rebuilding my Koch bellows, but it's not one I'd look forward to repeating if I'm faced with another box of that kind of vintage!

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »

Firstly, I have sent a contact email to Igor via his site, and have not yet had a reply.
Secondly, I have bought myself a 10 m/m punch to make discs to hold the pallets onto the arms. I don't have any leather, but I do have a lot of heavy duty rot proof canvas. Do we agree that this will do the job OK?

Sir John

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »

I have bought myself a 10 m/m punch to make discs to hold the pallets onto the arms. I don't have any leather, but I do have a lot of heavy duty rot proof canvas. Do we agree that this will do the job OK?

Yes it will do the job Ok, but a bit like overkill in terms of strength and thickness! An old linen hankie or shirt will do just as well. Stiffen the material with dilute PVA glue (approx 70% water 30% glue) and allow to dry flat. It makes it easier to punch out the disks without the material collapsing into wrinkles. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »

The PVA (or similar) will also stop the material fraying. I found a piece of scrap MDF worked well as a cutting surface.
Similarly, an old cotton hankie (pref clean, but it's your instrument) or piece from an old sheet may be used. 
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

Similarly, an old cotton hankie (pref clean, but it's your instrument) or piece from an old sheet may be used.

Seconded.  Canvas might be unnecessarily stiff and heavy. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »

Just bought a bag of scrap leather bits. So I will see what that looks like when it arrives.

Thanks

Sir John

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal