Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: First attempt at box fettling  (Read 18159 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: First attempt at box fettling
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »

I have mentioned this before...but bookbinding 'mull' is good for making disks, but also great to replace mucky grille cloth. I discovered it by accident...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Paper-Co-Bookbinding-Mull/dp/B01MRXSR3V

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »

Thanks Roger. What I am after now, it suitable pins to refasten the metal corners, as some of the originals didn't survive the removal process.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

If that's the round head nails, like small upholstery nails I have lots.  Let me know how many you need.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »

Roger, is that mull stuff a pretty uniform sort of weave?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Rog

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »

Yes. I bought two grades, a closer sort of open weave linen and a looser linen you can see through, sort of. I bought it from a bookbinding supplier when I was trying to buy strips of felt of a particular thickness. I needed to make up the order so I thought 'I'll order some of that mull stuff'. It's very good esp for grilles. But is also great for making discs. Personally I rarely bother with discs...sometimes use little leather squares or discs.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »

If that's the round head nails, like small upholstery nails I have lots.  Let me know how many you need.

Thanks Theo. I would like to replace them all, ie 16. Then they all would match.

SJ

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 06:59:29 AM »

Yes. I bought two grades, a closer sort of open weave linen and a looser linen you can see through, sort of. I bought it from a bookbinding supplier when I was trying to buy strips of felt of a particular thickness. I needed to make up the order so I thought 'I'll order some of that mull stuff'. It's very good esp for grilles. But is also great for making discs. Personally I rarely bother with discs...sometimes use little leather squares or discs.

"Why didn't you come to me?" ( quote from the Kumars) and I don't charge. In London I have about 15 miles of the stuff and helping a Fellow Melnet member out is what we're here for.  :||:
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »

Hi Nick...v kind thanks!!  But I didn't know about it. As time passes I realise that box builders use all sorts of materials that are at hand. Mull has to be one of them :). Is this stuff all the same colour or does it come in different colours?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »

I've occasionally given mull a light coat of spray paint. Seems to work quite well.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »

It only comes in the whitish colour Rog. Theo's right it can be coloured. Best way is to pin it out on some board because when it's wet it goes berserk until it's dry. After that use it as normal.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »

Right, so now I apply an even coat of PVA to the cleaned up pallets, and lay them on the new facing material, (on the felt side that is). Then I weigh them down with something like a board, with a brick on top. Then when they are dry, I cut round each pallet?
Should I cut the new facing into strips of the appropriate size before I do this?
I then put the pallets back in place, and put a leather disc, coated with Bostick on each one to glue the pallet to the lever? Or would the PVA work here too?
If the buttons are then too low, which part of the lever should I bend, how, and what with?
I bought some mull from Vintage Paper Co, and it is a very evenly spaced weave indeed.  I assume that PVA will be the thing here again, to glue this to the back of the grille? (Just the edges, or all over?)

Sir John

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 06:33:39 PM »

Right, so now I apply an even coat of PVA to the cleaned up pallets, and lay them on the new facing material, (on the felt side that is). Then I weigh them down with something like a board, with a brick on top. Then when they are dry, I cut round each pallet?
Should I cut the new facing into strips of the appropriate size before I do this?
I don't, I cram them a tight as possible to use the least material, this also helps with the cutting out, for which I use a scalpel, which I just run between the pallets
I then put the pallets back in place, and put a leather disc, coated with Bostick on each one to glue the pallet to the lever? Or would the PVA work here too?
In  my estimation you need more than just the discs to hold the pallets. My preference is hot glue but others use PVA and even wax.
If the buttons are then too low, which part of the lever should I bend, how, and what with?
I usually lift the pallet and apply pressure at that end to adjust the level
I bought some mull from Vintage Paper Co, and it is a very evenly spaced weave indeed.  I assume that PVA will be the thing here again, to glue this to the back of the grille? (Just the edges, or all over?)

Sir John
Is it a wooden grille, if so PVA otherwise I use evostick for metal grilles

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »

Pva works on metal grills too.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »

Sir John
I don't think the disc itself holds the pallet, I think the disc actually holds the glue in place until it sets and just helps to support it. I've only done a couple, but the pallet stays in place even if the disc has fallen off or been pulled off, and there has been glue in the channel and on the lever.
Using pearl glue you need a generous dob of it to get a reliable result. So I would imagine the same for PVA, it has to fill the gap between lever and wood.
The advantage of pearl glue and hot melt glue is that both are relatively easy to get off in future, or if you need to reposition a pallet. I don't know how true that is with PVA.

I don't think you need to go overboard with weighing down the pallets when gluing the felt, just enough to hold them firmly in contact.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Rog

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »

I'm sure Theo has shared this before, but having tried all manner of knives, a rotary cutter is a pretty cool tool. One of my favourites...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271661456348
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:18:56 PM by RogerT »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »

My personal choice of glue for this job is Titebond II, but that's probably just because I'm very familiar with it in a general woodworking context.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

Whatever adhesive you use, *do not* put it in the channel in the pallet before placing the lever in the channel. If you do you will curse yourself roundly if you should need to remove a pallet later.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »

There is a product called Conservation PVA and that IS reversible.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »

It's not the reversibility of the adhesive that is the issue here Nick.  You would have to soak the pallets in water to reverse it.  Originally glue was never placed below the lever, just over the top with the cloth patch on top of the glue.  That provides plenty of strength but means the pallet can be detached without damaging the wood, if the glue is still holding strongly it might be necessary to slit the cloth with a sharp knife, but that's all.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

Point taken Theo .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal