Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is everyone? Practicing?  (Read 3522 times)

arty

Where is everyone? Practicing?
« on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »

It is so quiet here, it reminds me of the time I was walking down Regent Street and suddenly realizing I was the only human being on the street, I ran into the Royal Academy building. There was an IRA bomb scare but no one had told me!

I was thinking, yesterday, that as I learn more tunes, it is becoming necessary to spend more and more time practicing, or risk forgetting how to play the tunes. I practice one hour per day, half of which is spent on a new tune and between two and three hours on a Sunday practicing my whole repertoire.

Some of you seem to have huge repertoires - how do you keep them all going?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

nigelr

• Respected Sage
Re: Where is everyone? Practicing?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »

It is so quiet here, it reminds me of the time I was walking down Regent Street and suddenly realizing I was the only human being on the street, I ran into the Royal Academy building. There was an IRA bomb scare but no one had told me!
Probably due to folk festival season - I suspect people will be reappearing over the next few weeks with tales of melodeon madness out and about during the summer  (:)
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »

Arty, I was thinking the same thing, but as I so seldom have anything interesting to contribute I can't really complain....

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »

I have just done a rough count and my repertoire runs to well over 1,000 tunes! I can't possibly keep all of them in my head at the same time, so I have a system for trying to keep as many of them current as possible. Once a week, I run through the repertoire for our Morris side, which currently stands at 34 tunes. Our repertoire for Les Panards Dansants is massive, so I practice a selection of the tunes three or four times a week, focusing especially on those I find difficult and on the playlist for our next gig. I play through a selection of Dales tunes most days, focusing especially on the ones I am in the process of transcribing and on those I intend to use for my next presentation or workshop. At least once a week, I play a selection of my general repertoire and most days I will also run through the new tunes I am in the process of  learning. On average, all this takes about two hours a day, which would have been an impossibility when I went out to work, but is quite manageable since I have been working for myself. I keep two or three boxes within reach of my computer and pick them up whenever I feel like a break from work, which occurs frequently.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »

I'm sure that nigelr and 911377brian are correct, but on the practicing and remembering front......
I don't have a repertoire, never mind a big one!
I recently did a stint of about an hour and three quarters, at a museum, playing hymn tunes (a couple of verses each) and would have been b******d if I hadn't had the first few words of the first line written down. I decided to have a narrow crib-sheet blue-tacked to the back of the treble end. I knew I couldn't have done without it, as often I sit to have a bit of a squeeze and find that my mind is blank, altogether!
I'm wondering if I caught it from Anahata when he and Mary came to South Shields?
I also wonder if this is the reason for not being able to remember the French tunes etc. which we* play at our NE group...because they have no words to act as prompts for me.
(*Actually, which the others play, whilst I stab at notes here and there, occasionally hitting the right ones, haha!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

(*Actually, which the others play, whilst I stab at notes here and there, occasionally hitting the right ones, haha!)

Aaah - and I thought it was just me. The hit-rate is slowly climbing though...

I practice 50-60 minutes per day - trying to learn the tunes for the Morris, plus any new
non-Morris which pop out of the woodwork.

Roger
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:31:06 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

george garside

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »

the urge to learn ever more tunes  can sometimes come at the expense of  good playing!   I probably ?know a lot of tunes in so far as playing the right notes in the right order  but they are way below performance standard.  I have roughly speaking two other  repertoires.

One is tunes that I play very regularly and have done for years  and, without counting, this may be around 30 or so tunes.  In addition I have a sort of 'current repertoire'  which consists of a selection of tunes from the 'right notes in the right order ' list that I have  honed to a decent standard and which I may use for several months. Some of these get dumped back in the right notes in the right order department for a year or two whilst others may be promoted to played very regularly department.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Brimley

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »

I make it a rule to try to rehearse a piece no more than a day before trying to performing it.  This seems to bring the muscle-memory back into operation, and prevents it being inadvertently superseded by newly-learned patterns which aren't relevant to that tune.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »

Where is everyone? - back at work  :(
I find it seriously hampers playing and practicing, but necessary to replenish box funds!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »

I have so far worked off a system a little bit similar to George's, i.e. Having two lists and moving stuff onto a small presentable tunes list when they are playable "out".  The other list includes everything I have ever learned or worked on, to greater or lesser degree. May need to amend the system a little but it means I have a nice prompt when I am at a session and don't have to think too hard.
The main way of staying sharp though is having to play a tune in front of others, whether at a session or elsewhere. It certainly motivates me, and when it doesn't go well first time that encourages me to keep on working it up...or drop it! Also listening to other people's performances helps, often on Spotify and YouTube, for the right  speed.
I had a great musical summer looking back, appreciated all the opportunities I had, and there is a sense of taking stock and working out priorities. Have decided to sell an instrument (nothing exciting for you lot)  and to start a new project with a friend, so quite a bit of thinking energy in use at the moment. Looking forward to seeing Bob and the gang at the Panards festival next month!
M

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »

Been on my side, mostly in hospital for nearly a month now with complications of a pelvic abscess; 2 operations.

They don't allow melodeons in here. Somehow email doesn't work. Hope to be home to family at weekend. Fingers crossed

I was thinking, yesterday, that as I learn more tunes, it is becoming necessary to spend more and more time practicing, or risk forgetting how to play the tunes. I practice one hour per day, half of which is spent on a new tune and between two and three hours on a Sunday practicing my whole repertoire.

i've researched, and sorted 2 new songs for practicing when I get back, there's not much else to do.

Incidentally I was in Manchester a few streets from that outrage, and Catalonia at the time of the Barcellona street attack. … Also heard the IRA Chelsea, and both Birmingham pub bombs go off! It gets a bit spooky 🙄 Maybe that's why Immigration interviewed me 10 minutes as I fled home to the arms of Britain's wonderful NHS
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Chris: phew, sounds like you've definitely been in the wars.
Hope you return to full squeezing very soon.
Take care
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

seconded! 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

arty

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »

Get well soon Chris
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Grape Ape

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »

Chris- sorry to hear about your injury! Get well soon!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »

Been on my side, mostly in hospital for nearly a month now with complications of a pelvic abscess; 2 operations.

They don't allow melodeons in here.

What about a Streb or a Roland withe ear phones?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

It wasn't an injury. Pelvic abscess and spine osteomyelitis. It snapped early last month in France, sat in a chair, and yes … playing the melodeon 🙄 that dangerous instrument! With bone no longer in the way it then ran amok. Seems to be a rare and unfortunate complication of successful cancer op 4 years back …

… when of course I posted extensively from my hospital bed, as I was not "ill". Theo actually asked me to calm down 😉 There's not a lot to do in here.

Great day, and thanks to all. Hope to be in family care by the weekend 😀
  _       _    _      _ 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »

Really sorry to hear, Chris. Hope the prognosis is good.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »

I think so. My surgeon thinks so, having examined the area thoroughly, and annually for the last 4 years.

His radiologists (my own speciality) are iffing and butting, but frankly some of the generation replacing me seem to qualify everything with "cannnot exclude … Recommend rescan in …. months" almost as an autotype. I have lost zero sleep on this , and am planning my next Australia trip, so far in my dreams. A daughter is currently househunting in Sydney, so I'll have an easy base

Thanks to all. 😀Back to topic?
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Brimley

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »

Chris, wishing you a speedy recovery - bumped into your daughter at Woodfest again this year, with the King Driscolls being really on form, though somewhat depleted at the moment!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal