Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance Skills  (Read 30958 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Performance Skills
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

Thanks Steve for the video, and George for the tips.
Will see if I can make a start with a waltz.
many thanks both
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »

Bellows control is surely something with a wealth of varied opportunities for musicianship, and we box players are very fortunate to have that emotional power in our playing.

stevejay

« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »

Might try more of that on a tune like "Never on Sunday"  at the end of a phrase.
Also Spanish and Mexican tunes like Celido Lindo.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

Bellows control is surely something with a wealth of varied opportunities for musicianship, and we box players are very fortunate to have that emotional power in our playing.

I share Chris's thesis. The air button is by far the most important one on a melodeon. All other buttons … you might substitute well chosen other and … most people might not even notice?
  _       _    _      _ 

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »

... the Irish-flute culture seems to think it's uncool to be in tune (cheap keyless flutes give them exactly what they want)...

What a load of Bollix!
I have heard you play and I don't think you are in a position to judge Irish flute playing.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

I share Chris's thesis. The air button is by far the most important one on a melodeon.

I might be wrong, but I think Chris B was referring to bellows pressure control as a vehicle for music expression though dynamics.
I would agree that mastery of the air button is a necessary prerequisite, but it's not the whole thing.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Brimley

« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »

Thanks both for following our little discussion so closely!  Actually, Anahata was right, but I think Chris R's interesting point is equally valid - so I didn't feel any need to disagree!

I don't know about you two's experiences, but I have been rather surprised recently by finding myself able to make strides in new directions in playing the box, when I thought that age was going to make it all downhill from now on!  And it's all to do with expression.  I have long admired the sort of feeling that string quartet musicians manage to get into their playing all the time.  The bow is an expressive way of playing, because of the subtlety and control that you have over dynamics.  So given that you ought to be able to do that with bellows too, why is the box not accepted as the orchestral instrument that it deserves to be?  Probably simply because we players have never realised we have that control, or tried to use it.  I've been recently fortunate to play with a skilled woodwind player, and I've realised that it really doesn't take much effort to match the dynamics on the box - and you also have the strong vibrato effect available, which others don't.  And the highly accurate intonation is also brilliant.  We tried this out last night at a little session I'm involved with in NW Essex, playing a Scottish air, and it does work pretty well, in terms of total musical effect, and audience reaction.  I expect many of us at sessions have learned to accept that we're going to get an audience to think, 'Aye, aye, noisy and brash, but great rhythm, so we'll clap along!'  Box players have lots of performance skills that we've yet to unleash!

My hunch is that because of its humble beginnings, the bigger box is shunned by many orchestral musicians unfairly.  Using ears rather than prejudices might result in realising its huge potential, but we need the interpretative teachers to bring it all about, for the next generation.

george garside

« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

the bellows is to the box player what the bow is to the fiddler!

and for what its worth I often play slow aires on treble only so as to get maximum dynamics and   'hauntingness'  which can sometimes be lost  in the bass

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:57 PM »

... why is the box not accepted as the orchestral instrument that it deserves to be? 

You might be interested in these videos;

Beoga and RTÉ concert orchestra.

Sharon Shannon and RTÉ concert orchestra.

Máirtín O' Connor and string quartet.

gettabettabox

« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »

... the Irish-flute culture seems to think it's uncool to be in tune (cheap keyless flutes give them exactly what they want)...

What a load of Bollix!
I have heard you play and I don't think you are in a position to judge Irish flute playing.

I missed this particular comment and am surprised that it didn't prompt some earlier response on here?
I'm not interested in hearing the poster's standard of playing, but otherwise support your view Pearse.
Edited..Best for me not to say anything else.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:54:20 PM by gettabettabox »

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »

Edited..Best for me not to say anything else.

Agreed, personal attacks get us nowhere. Ignore any perceived provocation and move on. Harmony is what Melnet is all about, if someone says something you think is out of turn give them the benefit of the doubt but don't ever prolong the agony or escalate any bad feeling. We don't do that, that's what makes this finest forum there is!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #251 on: October 09, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

An appropriate place to finish this wide ranging discussion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal