Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weltmeister Cajun strap brackets  (Read 1904 times)

Davidmc

Weltmeister Cajun strap brackets
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

I have just acquired off EBay (well not taken ownership until tomorrow) a Weltmeister Cajun melodeon. It does not appear to have strap brackets, which I prefer. I would appreciate if anyone could advise how/where to fit them. In particular because the obvious place looks to be where the metal corner brackets are sited. I have fitted them to other boxes but not with substantial corner brackets. Ideally I don't want to have to take it apart to make sure screws do not foul anything internal. An image of a Weltmeister with brackets fitted would be helpful. Thanks very much for reading this and any help you may give. Regards David

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Weltmeister Cajun strap brackets
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »

Slightly off-topic, I know. But.......was that the one from Newcastle? If I'd had the cash I would have battled you for that, you stole it, you jammy beggar!!!! I expect it's as good as it looked?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:14:04 PM by Edward Jennings »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »

I find that for the cajun style 1-row 4-stop, a single hoop-type strap bracket gives a better balance than the V shape or half-moon shape. Also you only need one screw or bolt per bracket. I mount them close to the edge of the top surface of the RH end.

Here are a couple of photos of my Wesson Clippers which should illustrate what I mean. Rees had already mounted the brackets in just the right place.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »

Thanks Steve. I was just rummaging through my photos when your post popped up - saved me a job :)

Davidmc - I have these in stock. PM me and I'll send you a pair.
Regarding the metal corners on your Weltmeister - drill a pilot hole straight through them and mount the bracket on top.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

triskel

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »

... the obvious place looks to be where the metal corner brackets are sited. I have fitted them to other boxes but not with substantial corner brackets.

In fact you'll find there's nothing "substantial" at all about those corner brackets David (there never was!) and you can drill through them very easily. But in Louisiana they'd usually mount the bottom bracket on the lower back corner of the instrument, rather than underneath - that way it sits flat on the floor when you put it down. (Like in my photo.)

Mind you, plenty of the oldtimers play/played just using the thumb loop, like Marc Savoy who didn't even have a shoulder strap in his shop to sell me when I went to collect my box off him.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

In fact you'll find there's nothing "substantial" at all about those corner brackets at all David (there never was!) and you can drill through them very easily. But in Louisiana they'd usually mount the bottom bracket on the lower back corner of the instrument, rather than underneath - that way it sits flat on the floor when you put it down...

... and makes holes in your tee-shirt when playing.  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »

... and makes holes in your tee-shirt when playing.  ::)

The corner brackets maybe, but surely not the bottom strap bracket/D-ring?  ???

I find it's bellows pins that snag on my jumpers, but each to their own...   :-\

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »

Guess who .............
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Davidmc

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

Slightly off-topic, I know. But.......was that the one from Newcastle? If I'd had the cash I would have battled you for that, you stole it, you jammy beggar!!!! I expect it's as good as it looked?
. It was indeed that one. No one else bid perhaps because it was collection only.

Davidmc

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »

Thank you all for your time and the help you have given. I collect the melodeon tomorrow and I hope it is as good as it looks. Regards David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal