Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass key bell crank problem on pokerwork  (Read 2441 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Bass key bell crank problem on pokerwork
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »

Decision made. Track pins on order, on the basis of  they might be bigger, but not too big and bigger is better. If Lester turns out to be right I'll move to plan B (veneer pins). No harm done and >£3.00 risked [egit should have put < (:)]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:08:28 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »

Just a thought, based on my mistakes when fitting new bass buttons.  Think carefully how you knock new (or old) buttons back onto the flat levers.  For some reason, Hohner cut the two shoulders to different heights, so unless you control the button it sets down onto the two resulting in it being tilted rather than normal to the lever.  Had I been in less of a hurry, I would have filed the higher shoulder down to match the lower one - but you need to do all the levers or those you have modified will be sitting very slightly lower...

Rob.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 03:49:43 PM »

But you still wouldn't use a drill would you Lester?

If he'd use a farmer, anything is possible...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

But you still wouldn't use a drill would you Lester?

Noooooo

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

Track pin fitted OK and working fine..

A couple of comments.

On the plus side:
The track pins are a consistent, 1.25mm. The originals are closer to 1mm.
1. This made them an excellent fit in the existing holes.
2. Presumably because of the improved fit, the action is noticeably quieter than the other buttons. I may replace them all.

On the downside:
1. They are, about, 25% bigger than the original pins. This may be the reason why the replacement was a bit of a bugger to close. Or, it may be that they are made of harder steel. I could not get it past about 75-80 degrees. The originals show a few degrees of over bend.
2. I didn't take the points off before I closed them. I am going to need to buy some fairly agricultural side cutters that can get  in the space and cut through the steel, without destroying themselves. I am not going to risk my trusty old Swedish steel, side cutters on it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal