Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Masterclass - Rob Harbron  (Read 1647 times)

arty

Music Masterclass - Rob Harbron
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »

I have just spent a really informative hour or so, listening to Rob Harbron give a Folk Music Masterclass, which has been recorded and put on You Tube. Yes, I know he plays a concertina but most of what he is talking about and demonstrating would apply to melodeon as well, indeed any instrument. It has really made me think and I will definitely listen to it again. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cuieGmcy8
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Music Masterclass - Rob Harbron
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »

Just forced myself to stop listening. To save some for tomorrow. Sound like a lovely, warm, genuine guy. And obviously a fine musician.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nick Ray

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »

Really enjoyed this. Just had a quick look and ended up watching the whole thing! Rob is an engaging speaker and he talks a lot about general musicality which surprisingly for me I found interesting and useful.
A nice suprise.
Thanks for posting this Arty.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »

I happened on it by chance during the summer. Sorry should have shared, so thanks to arty for the post.
Yes I really enjoyed it, and was drawn into the hour after thinking I'd give it 5 mins!
Some really thoughtful points were made.
I also regret not meeting him when playing concertina as his full sound using 4 finger is exquisite. It must be a similar style to the old music hall players, and reminds me of an old chap, ex-music hall performer, who played my English concertina and made it sound like an organ. Rob probably wasn't born when I started playing so no one with such a style to help or advise sadly.

Yes, take time to listen, it's worth it.
cheers
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »

Several years ago I went to a full day workshop with Rob at The Lewes Arms Folk Club as was, the focus was on musicality and interpretation, it was quite an experience.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »

I have just spent a really informative hour or so, listening to Rob Harbron give a Folk Music Masterclass, which has been recorded and put on You Tube. Yes, I know he plays a concertina but most of what he is talking about and demonstrating would apply to melodeon as well, indeed any instrument. It has really made me think and I will definitely listen to it again. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cuieGmcy8

That really is something special.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »

Thanks for that. If you don't know Leveret, check them out. In English music terms, they are as good as it gets (IMHO)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »

Yes, another thumbs up for Leveret.
I think they are showing that there's more to English music than simple rumpty tunes.
By digging into the older manuscripts they are turning their excellent musicianship to highlight these brilliant and often unknown tunes and interspersing them with their own self penned ones.
Recommended listening.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal