Discussions > General Discussion

Delicq and Hamburgers

(1/2) > >>

Grape Ape:
Listening to the master, I cannot help but think that playing a Delicq tune on the melodeon alone is not unlike offering one a pickle and calling it a hamburger.

TomBom:
Yes, I feel the same.

playandteach:
Not sure I understand. How is it different to playing an Andy Cutting tune, or a Rob Harbron tune? No criticism intended, I just don't get what you're asking.

Clive Williams:
There's a musicality in what he did that is, as far as I can see, pretty much unmatchable. I was lucky to see him play in Gennetines many years ago, and he could hold a dance floor full effortlessly. I have to confess I enjoyed when he played solo more than with his admittedly talented band, but I always have a soft spot for musicians that work without enhancement, so to speak. I play a couple of Delicq things in my repertoire, but don't get close to his quality of music, and I know it. But, that's ok - keeping the music alive is the important thing.

Grape Ape:
Clive more or less just summed up what I meant.  After listening to other people's interpretations of Delicq for several years, I thought that that was what the tunes were all about.  Now, having listened to the original recordings, I realize there is so much more to his music.  The way the instruments weave together so that the lines between them is blurred, and there are times one cannot tell where the violin or clarinet ends and the melodeon begins.  It seems almost violent to pull one those instruments out of the mix.  It really is some of the best music I have ever heard, and the fact that his stuff is out of print and fading away to obscurity breaks my heart, when in my opinion, he should be part of the cannon.  Why don't his heirs seek to reprint his work? It seems a real shame.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version