Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33757 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »

So as the title goes what other hobbies do melodeon players like to do?
This is something I am curious about is there any relation to are interest in melodeons and other things we find interesting or fun to do.
I'll go first, so for the last thirty something years I have been MAD about mushroom hunting, I know around fifty different edible mushrooms that I eat, and hundreds more I can Identify (a fun fact is the largest living thing on this planet is a mushroom, not the part we eat, which is like an apple is to a tree ,that is the fruit of the plant, so the plant is the stuff you would see if you turn over a log, the white cobweb looking stuff called mycelium) in Oregon there is a plant that is over 2 thousand acres in size and almost or more than that in age so it's mass is the largest living thing on this planet). I also like to go fishing and watch or play hockey, I was also a volunteer for my local ( all volunteer) fire dept. not really a hobbie but thought it was a good way to help the community I live in. In a lot of ways it help me out with meeting people and making connections for my work in construction ( building houses) I just recently retired after 16 yrs. from the fire dept. As it became to much of a commitment with running my own business which I've done for 33yrs.

Ok so lets hear your hobbies or things you like to do , I'm interested if we have any other connections.

I hope this is ok for general topics maybe it should be in the sand box?

Edit 3 thousand to 2
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:02:02 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »

Sea fishing, wood turning, harmonica playing, guitar playing, and cooking. Among other things

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:42 PM »

Well there's a connection as we both like to fish and I like cooking also but like eating more
Thanks Sir John
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »

Until very recently I was a keen and competitive table tennis player - melodeons start to look like value for money when you're shelling out over £100 just for the bat rubbers.
A bit of golf at the moment, though I've knackered my right hand somehow, so that's off the list right now. Playing piano for my daughter's flute pieces. It's amazing how a hand injury affects pretty much everything.
Writing tunes, arranging tunes. Spent a couple of months making lamps out of odd things recently. I have to keep my mind occupied otherwise I start thinking.
I've always fancied wood turning - I've been watching some youtube wood turning projects over the last couple of weeks. And actually some gardening too, though it's really just putting things in pots rather than proper gardening.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

Totally different. Scuba-diving and marine life surveys. Also, walking the coastal paths of Devon and its rolling hills, but the later is sort of linked to folk music because of places I visit on walks and I always have a tune in my head when strolling about.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:23 PM »

Until very recently I was a keen and competitive table tennis player - melodeons start to look like value for money when you're shelling out over £100 just for the bat rubbers.
A bit of golf at the moment, though I've knackered my right hand somehow, so that's off the list right now. Playing piano for my daughter's flute pieces. It's amazing how a hand injury affects pretty much everything.
Writing tunes, arranging tunes. Spent a couple of months making lamps out of odd things recently. I have to keep my mind occupied otherwise I start thinking.
I've always fancied wood turning - I've been watching some youtube wood turning projects over the last couple of weeks. And actually some gardening too, though it's really just putting things in pots rather than proper gardening.
I too like to golf but don't make the effort to get out there much and gardening is also something I do but forgot to mention it. Raised beds is what I grow stuff in, it's all the same really just on different scales. I also like wood working but since I do it every day it's not always high on my list, although I been on a bit of a whirligig craze lately.
Totally different. Scuba-diving and marine life surveys. Also, walking the coastal paths of Devon and its rolling hills, but the later is sort of linked to folk music because of places I visit on walks and I always have a tune in my head when strolling about.
scuba diving now that's something I like to try and walks is something I do all the time sometimes thinking of tunes but mostly well you know, I love the shore as I live near it but really like being in the woods.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »

Forty years of self-employment (with little business sense) with mostly seven day working, often till late at night, doesn't leave much time for anything other than sleeping! Hobbies went by the board from the age of 18.
However, the love of singing never left me, and as well as singing in our small chapel choir, I now also enjoy torturing the members of our local folk club with my singing and my melodeon playing, poor beggars. Retirement has allowed me an amount of free time to continue tinkering with things, namely melodeons, and either making them work, after a fashion; or completely destroying them!
Whilst I still have the company of my first wife, we spend about half the year in Luxor Egypt, where we enjoy our mutual hobby of people watching whilst drinking tea. That's also a hobby which we like to indulge in during our other mutual hobby of taking short foreign holidays. (Trip planning and budgeting for, are her major hobbies.) The other main interest, as far as I'm concerned, is rooting around junk shops and car boot sales, I'm a sucker for other people's rubbish!
Oh! Nearly forgot.......reading and contributing to melodeon.net.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 03:04:12 AM »

I too have been self employed from 1984 to present, there was a time where I was working to much and had nine plus employees (more employees does not equal more money, I found it's just more head aches) so I didn't have much time but I always carved out a little time for myself, maybe just an hour or so in the morning to go fishing. And I made it my religion to take sundays off, life is to short to work it away and I didn't have to which helped. plus I had young children that I wanted to spend time with, you can't get that time back and they grow up to quick. More recently (no employees) and a dog at home I would go home for lunch then take the dog for a walk, all within a hour or so. my jobs are all five to ten minutes away and my customers mostly repeat don't mind and I price things by the job so they don't worry about every minute I'm there. plus I'm a believer in it's not how much time your on the job it's what you get done while your there.
My wife tells me I'm spoiled and I'd have to agree (:)

I'm glad you are finding time now to expand your free time and hobbies.
traveling more is something I need to work on, but there always things getting in the way, the kids college , wedding, need a new truck, etc.
I too like rubbish if it's good rubbish ;) and poking about on this site.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »

Another wood-turner here. I used, with my wife, to make and sell wooden marionettes, and though we no longer  make for sale we still make the odd one-off special or experimental puppet. I'm also, I'm afraid,  a long-time railway enthusiast; I used to edit the in-house magazine for a narrow-gauge railway modelling association.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

Non-melodeon musical stuff includes banjo, mouth organ (with lots of retuning), song arranging, and the lovely experience of helping my other half (Annie Dearman) to push along her rapidly-developing skills on upright bass. Away from music altogether, it's architectural appreciation, with a special interest in the work of Arts & Crafts/ Modernist architect Edgar Wood (1860-1935). I'm a member of a group currently producing a book on one of Wood's houses.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Gromit

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Retired self employed woodworker - cabinet making, carpentry and joinery, still do some but not so much since hand injury.

Music - (Irish wooden) flute is main instrument, B/C box and guitar - also not so much since hand injury. I'm into photography, drawing, walking and natural history.
I used to frequent Irish sessions around London but these days I'll be nodding off by the time they start.

John

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »

Mainly Natural History Activities -   Bird Surveys for the BTO , organising outings for our local Wildllife  Trust + some gardening, which mainly consists of following the destruction of my runner beans by  slugs.   
Paul
Location NE Fife

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

Melodeon fettling, walking (mostly in London/Thames), morris, industrial museums, tractors, steam engines, rivets.

Roger Howard

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

I also attempt to play Northumbrian small pipes and Swayne G pipes, sail a Lune Pilot - now very infrequently, I'm afraid - walk in the Lincolnshire Wolds and the Lake District, and read a lot; my latest reading project is Balzac, which should take about a year. Of course, there's also the obligatory, gardening, house maintenance etc. Wine should  be on the list somewhere, too. Sea kayaking might appear next year. Oh, and hats!  :|bl

R
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »

Another wood-turner here. I used, with my wife, to make and sell wooden marionettes, and though we no longer  make for sale we still make the odd one-off special or experimental puppet. I'm also, I'm afraid,  a long-time railway enthusiast; I used to edit the in-house magazine for a narrow-gauge railway modelling association.

Graham
couple of wood tuners so far, I thought of doing some but would need a lathe and I don't have enough space with all my other tools filling up the shed. When I was little my dad took me to a guys he knew house he had a train set up or more that filled his basement it was cool, must of took him ages to put the thing together.
Non-melodeon musical stuff includes banjo, mouth organ (with lots of retuning), song arranging, and the lovely experience of helping my other half (Annie Dearman) to push along her rapidly-developing skills on upright bass. Away from music altogether, it's architectural appreciation, with a special interest in the work of Arts & Crafts/ Modernist architect Edgar Wood (1860-1935). I'm a member of a group currently producing a book on one of Wood's houses.
Cheers
Steve
As a home builder I appreciate architecture too, I've built some homes for architects, one was this somewhat round thing that seemed weird at the time it was on the coast. It also swayed quite a bit when you stood on the roof, built per plan so nothing to do with the construction we ended up putting in a lot of bracing. Any way the electrician on the job was in he's boat on the water and looked at the building and said that it looked like a tug boat from the sea. I not to long ago read a book on architecture called the Old way of seeing by Jonathan Hale it's a good book that talks about the under lying geometry in buildings. Geometry is another one of my interest mostly it's relationship to nature.

Retired self employed woodworker - cabinet making, carpentry and joinery, still do some but not so much since hand injury.

Music - (Irish wooden) flute is main instrument, B/C box and guitar - also not so much since hand injury. I'm into photography, drawing, walking and natural history.
I used to frequent Irish sessions around London but these days I'll be nodding off by the time they start.

John
my wife's the photographer in the family but I like to draw things mostly geometric designs & patterns and then I color them in. I probably would like quilting if I knew how sew better. I'm with you on the last line of your post.

Mainly Natural History Activities -   Bird Surveys for the BTO , organising outings for our local Wildllife  Trust + some gardening, which mainly consists of following the destruction of my runner beans by  slugs.   
  I grow pole beans mainly to take up less space, plus it helps with the slugs. I read something about burying tea bags to deter them, not sure if it helps though. Beans sautéed with oyster mushrooms, just saying. I also enjoy bird watching and studying nature in general.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »

Melodeon fettling, walking (mostly in London/Thames), morris, industrial museums, tractors, steam engines, rivets.
so I take it your the mechanical type (:),and who doesn't like a steam engine, to bad we couldn't get them to go faster there would be more ozone left. Personally I like a slow steady pace, I just need to apply it to my music.
I also attempt to play Northumbrian small pipes and Swayne G pipes, sail a Lune Pilot - now very infrequently, I'm afraid - walk in the Lincolnshire Wolds and the Lake District, and read a lot; my latest reading project is Balzac, which should take about a year. Of course, there's also the obligatory, gardening, house maintenance etc. Wine should  be on the list somewhere, too. Sea kayaking might appear next year. Oh, and hats!  :|bl

R
I enjoy reading but I'm lousy at it, I got a couple books sitting on the coffee table that I'm half though they have been there for awhile now, I might finish them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:45:26 AM by boxcall »

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »

Since retirement some eleven years ago time has been spent on overseas travel planned by the other half, and caravaning in Britain and europe. general household repairs and DIY, and as time allows model engineering (stationary  steam) and attempting to restore concertinas. At this time trying to make reed blades for a concertina with deep rust on some reeds, main problem is cutting/shearing to exact width. Anyone know how it was done in times past, all info welcome. Plus of course melodeon and concertina playing ( but apparently not improving) and have just joined a recorder group
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Gromit

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »

...the under lying geometry in buildings
Interesting subject - as a carpenter I studied roofing geometry which can be a little complicated, sadly I only ever built one roof.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »

Looks like a lot of us were lucky enough to have careers that fed at least one of our interests.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »

Tiddlywinks, frogger, train spotting and pylons (member of  Pylon Appreciation Society – have a look at our website)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal