Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33751 times)

arty

Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »

My job is, I teach adults to paint - I have done that for the past 35 years or so. My lifelong interest, is to paint and almost all of my inspiration comes from Folk Music. I love the social history behind many folk songs, what they are about, why they were sung, working songs, drinking songs, love songs etc., etc. I listen to them over and over and some inspire me to paint my reactions to them, my feelings, my thoughts.
Have a look if you like:   www.davidhenley.co.uk
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

Sex ............
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »

Drugs,  rock 'n' roll ...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

Living in the past  >:E
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »

I would like to but probably want keep responding to all the post. It' takes me to long to type.
I do want to hear more though and will respond to some.

Rees I'm sure that many here enjoy that!! To funny

...the under lying geometry in buildings
Interesting subject - as a carpenter I studied roofing geometry which can be a little complicated, sadly I only ever built one roof.
I've done many roofs some simple others way more complicated but the math and layout are all similar and if all else fails you do what I call the mountain method (which is hold it up to where it looks right, mark it cut it nail it ) close enough. Since most often the roof line is developed on the gable end which I build on the ground this can be done. My friends and I were building a camp in Maine 13 miles into the woods when we realized that nobody brought a framing square, so we use the mountain method quite appropriate I think, there is math involved 10 pitch roof = rise of 10" per every foot to center of ridge plus height of the birds mouth. The book I mentioned has more to do with a geometry that is not really visible to the eye but to the subconscious, so patterns that are in the facade of a building. And the irregular window or door placement that create these patterns and also often act as a function within. Basically not building cookie cutter buildings that have no appeal, which is what you see mostly these days.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:23:07 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »

Sex ............
Hell, I forgot about that one.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

Sex ............
Hell, I forgot about that one.

"You were always on my mind"  :o
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »

when I retired from my career, I took a job in a performing arts college as a technician.  After finishing that I continued to fix electronic things for friends, particularly music-related equipment. Recently that's turned into involvement in the 'maker' community. Helping others to make and fix things. Others bring skills in mechanics, woodwork, needlework, etc and we've set up the beginnings of a community workshop.

Quite separate to that 9 years ago my new partner (now wife) introduced me to scuba diving and underwater photography. I now have over 200 dives in my log book and I'm typing this from Lembeh in Indonesia after having spent the day looking at odd creatures under the waves.

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

(:) brushing up my very rusty French, trying to learn Tai Chi, dabbling at watercolour painting, pottering on the allotment and amateur archeology......... walking what seem to be miles, marking out lines and prodding spikes into the ground ( think Zimmer frame with prongs  ;D) for resistivity surveys
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »

My job is, I teach adults to paint - I have done that for the past 35 years or so. My lifelong interest, is to paint and almost all of my inspiration Have a look if you like:   www.davidhenley.co.uk
Very fine, David. There are quite a few that I've been back to look at again.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »

Tiddlywinks, frogger, train spotting and pylons (member of  Pylon Appreciation Society – have a look at our website)
pylon, I was thinking the orange things you set out in the road for construction, until I checked it out. That's different. My Dad work for Boston Edison electric company in Ma. And would work on these what we called high tension wires. Dangerous work for sure. Especially back then they didn't have the grounding equipment they have today.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »

Still working full time (hopefully only for another year or two). Other activities include mineral collecting (it's amazing how easy it becomes to switch affinities to MAD when you slow way down on this one) and enjoying other music and art. Plus travel whenever we can.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »

Short list so far- of common interest one or more other likes doing.

Woodworking and or working your wood :P
Gardening
Reading
Making or fixing things
Photography
Scuba diving
Painting
Nature and earth science
Trains or mechanical devices
Traveling
Walking and or hiking about
Fishing
Playing, writing  or listening to music
Cooking
Morris Dancing
Firefighting
Singing
Visiting melodeon.net
Drinking wine, beer, etc.
Playing other instruments
Did I miss any?
I must admit I feel a little like FB gathering info on people but this is interesting.

Edit to add to list
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:44:02 PM by boxcall »

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »

Since I retired after 35 years of designing high capacity digital transmission systems - the backbone of the internet - I spend a lot of my time in the kitchen, at the firehouse, or at church. I cook all of our meals at home and often cook for larger gatherings. At our all volunteer firehouse I am the first lieutenant of the fire police and am responsible for maintaining the pagers and two-way radios. At church I sing in the choir on Sundays and serve at the altar for mid-week mass. For my own entertainment over the past 70 years I have played at playing the piano, harmonica, penny whistle, recorder, guitar, banjo, autoharp, mandolin, concertina and melodeon. But my real hobby is photography, shooting film with cameras as old as I am, developing the film, scanning the negatives and making black and white digital prints.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »

morris dancing...... there's not  a lot more to say really!
The nucleus of friends in the morris side are still together 40 years on, mad as a bag of frogs, it's the only way.....
I've been to places I'd never think of going, been overseas several times, met a bunch of lovely people, made lifelong friends of which some are on here..... and I'm still going. It just hurts more  :(
I used to mountain bike around home mainly, but continual colds from November to Easter in 2010 broke the habit. My new bike frame was put on hold and after my daughter had attended a beginners Melodeon workshop, my bike frame became a Tommy.
Now look at the trouble it's got me in  >:E
hey ho..... still it's all good fun!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »

Since I retired after 35 years of designing high capacity digital transmission systems - the backbone of the internet - I spend a lot of my time in the kitchen, at the firehouse, or at church. I cook all of our meals at home and often cook for larger gatherings. At our all volunteer firehouse I am the first lieutenant of the fire police and am responsible for maintaining the pagers and two-way radios. At church I sing in the choir on Sundays and serve at the altar for mid-week mass. For my own entertainment over the past 70 years I have played at playing the piano, harmonica, penny whistle, recorder, guitar, banjo, autoharp, mandolin, concertina and melodeon. But my real hobby is photography, shooting film with cameras as old as I am, developing the film, scanning the negatives and making black and white digital prints.

Thanks Doug
So I should add cooking to the list since someone else likes it and maybe fire fighting I was the Lieutenant of my company as well and before that the engineer (Pump driver). But I'm getting to old for that, it's very hard work when required. Not to mention a lot of responsibility and liability.

playandteach

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »

Short list so far- of common interest more than one other likes doing.

Did I miss any?
Missed off table tennis and golf.
How I could have forgotten reading, though is beyond me. I read all the time.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »

morris dancing...... there's not  a lot more to say really!
The nucleus of friends in the morris side are still together 40 years on, mad as a bag of frogs, it's the only way.....
I've been to places I'd never think of going, been overseas several times, met a bunch of lovely people, made lifelong friends of which some are on here..... and I'm still going. It just hurts more  :(
I used to mountain bike around home mainly, but continual colds from November to Easter in 2010 broke the habit. My new bike frame was put on hold and after my daughter had attended a beginners Melodeon workshop, my bike frame became a Tommy.
Now look at the trouble it's got me in  >:E
hey ho..... still it's all good fun!
Q

Thanks Q
I'll also add dancing to the list as I think someone else mention it.
I'll be lucky to keep this list in some order.

playandteach

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »

You need someone whose hobby is organising.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »

Bit late to the party already! Most of my spare time is taken up with family these days, so melodeon is pretty much the only hobby to get airtime. Enjoy playing piano, learning violin (badly), learning CBA (badly). Lapsed bellringer, like many here I suspect. Avoid DIY and gardening like the plague...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal