Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33729 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »

Thanks Clive for your contribution  (:)
The things you don't like will go in my next thread ;)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »

My main professional career was a geologist, at first down in the dark and dirties in the UK coal industry, but also in the British Geological Survey and as a visiting/guest lecturer at the University of Sheffield. I've always been interested in geology since childhood, and although I'm mostly retired now, I still keep up my interest through hill walking, visiting the coast, exploring quarries and abandoned mines.

You could get a flavour of what I do outside the world of melodeons by looking at my Ipernity webpages here:
http://www.ipernity.com/home/earthwatcher

In parallel with all this I have been a musician (mainly clarinet and bass clarinet) since the age of 10, playing in orchestras and chamber groups. I still play in the Sheffield Chamber Orchestra (which I help run) and other local ensembles including a wind quintet and a clarinet quartet.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Howard Jones

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

Outside folk music (as well as melodeon I play several other instruments) my main interest is mountaineering and rock climbing. I'm fortunate to live on the edge of the Peak District, and Wales and the Lake District are both within easy reach.

911377brian

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »

I must be the most boring member of Melnet. Winding my watch and going for a pee seems to take up most of my day...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »

I've reached that age too Brian

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

ACE

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »

Allotment, angling and an obsession of trying to find the best pork pie in Britain, every time I find one somebody tells me there is a better one somewhere else, my quest will never end I hope.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »

Well, I used to do a lot of amateur acting, with some semi-professional stuff along the way, but now I'm left with University of the Third Age play reading sessions, as at my age there aren't really the parts, darling! Well none that Judy Dench hasn't taken anyway!!

Mary

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »

I’m getting a bit obsessed with finding real cheddar cheese. You know the stuff with an actual rind, and with a flavour that is full and lasting but without the peppery bite that supermarkets think is the hallmark of the “extra strong” or “vintage” rubbish that they try to sell us.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Roger Howard

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »

trying to find the best pork pie in Britain, every time I find one somebody tells me there is a better one somewhere else, my quest will never end I hope.

I hope you've explored the Lincolnshire varieties - Bycroft's of Boston are a good example. (Our local butcher - they make thin crust and hand raised.)  ;)

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »

My main professional career was a geologist, at first down in the dark and dirties in the UK coal industry, but also in the British Geological Survey and as a visiting/guest lecturer at the University of Sheffield. I've always been interested in geology since childhood, and although I'm mostly retired now, I still keep up my interest through hill walking, visiting the coast, exploring quarries and abandoned mines.

You could get a flavour of what I do outside the world of melodeons by looking at my Ipernity webpages here:
http://www.ipernity.com/home/earthwatcher

In parallel with all this I have been a musician (mainly clarinet and bass clarinet) since the age of 10, playing in orchestras and chamber groups. I still play in the Sheffield Chamber Orchestra (which I help run) and other local ensembles including a wind quintet and a clarinet quartet.

The clarinet is an instrument I've always love the sound of and wanted to try, never did though.
I will check out your link, my daughter just recently got her masters in geology from the university of Kentucky so I'm a little familiar with the field of study and find it interesting. Her study was the dating and mapping some of the oldest rock at the southern most point of the Appalachian mountains. I've got a piece of rock ( I believe she said metamorphic / niche ) that is 1.4 billion year old.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »

Outside folk music (as well as melodeon I play several other instruments) my main interest is mountaineering and rock climbing. I'm fortunate to live on the edge of the Peak District, and Wales and the Lake District are both within easy reach.
my friends and I use to do a lot off rock climbing when we were young and stupid, up the side of a cliff face with no gear. I still like to hike mountains in my area, but I go up the well worn trails these days.

I must be the most boring member of Melnet. Winding my watch and going for a pee seems to take up most of my day...
(:)

I’m getting a bit obsessed with finding real cheddar cheese. You know the stuff with an actual rind, and with a flavour that is full and lasting but without the peppery bite that supermarkets think is the hallmark of the “extra strong” or “vintage” rubbish that they try to sell us.

I like a good cheese too, luckily for me I don't have to go to far as there are plenty of shops around that sell the good stuff with an almost granular texture that melts in your mouth.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »

Semi retired, I sing, occasionally dance (mainly in France) and generally travel a lot. 5 expeditions into Europe already this year, and my Helsinki trip cancelled 'cos I was in hospital. I am in a national level bridge partnership, but with its other half in London we mostly play in one of the internet clubs, online

To pay for my hobbies I have set up a workstation in a spare bedroom and report overflow Xray exams via a virtual window into my client hospitals' system. As I no longer work NHS I have to fund my own "ongoing training" so Holland trip #2 was to the NVvR Xray scientific conference. Helps keep up my dutch 😉  Holland #1 had been to play a weekend with Toon van Mierlo of Naragonia, and Anna-Lise Foy. Cliff Stapleton was also there: his new CD is excellent!

I'm also doing the English subtitles to the Mustradem Accordeon videos; a favour to my friend Stef Milleret. It helps keep up my French.

Last year's "training" was at Australia/NZ conference n Adelaide. But I got to see daughter Mathilda and tour the Barossa wineries with her. Followed by a presentation on its wines to N Cheshire wines society.

Just now I'm holed up at home recovering from a life changing operation. Hope to get back to Xray reporting, and playing melodeon 😀 next month. So far I've only been as far as the local shops.  "Helsinki" is coming to me, next week 😁

_       _    _      _ 

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »

Lots of family stuff for me. My lad is a keen fisherman and my daughter is a horse rider. Both require parents to be present and so I find myself sat on a river or lake bank with a rod quite often but I have yet to get on a horse.
We have a ten acre small holding with sheep, horses and pigs - all of which need daily visits and looking after along with the upkeep of the land, hedges, barns fences....
If I get some 'me time' I mountain bike, mainly locally in Derbyshire.
In between all that I have to fit in full time work!

Busy but very happy!

ACE

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »

trying to find the best pork pie in Britain, every time I find one somebody tells me there is a better one somewhere else, my quest will never end I hope.

I hope you've explored the Lincolnshire varieties - Bycroft's of Boston are a good example. (Our local butcher - they make thin crust and hand raised.)  ;)

Roger
Strangely The first  pie that sent me on that quest was served to me hot straight from the butcher that was below my flat in Lincoln way back in the sixties when I lived in Sincil Street.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »

Semi retired, I sing, occasionally dance (mainly in France) and generally travel a lot. 5 expeditions into Europe already this year, and my Helsinki trip cancelled 'cos I was in hospital. I am in a national level bridge partnership, but with its other half in London we mostly play in one of the internet clubs, online

To pay for my hobbies I have set up a workstation in a spare bedroom and report overflow Xray exams via a virtual window into my client hospitals' system. As I no longer work NHS I have to fund my own "ongoing training" so Holland trip #2 was to the NVvR Xray scientific conference. Helps keep up my dutch 😉  Holland #1 had been to play a weekend with Toon van Mierlo of Naragonia, and Anna-Lise Foy. Cliff Stapleton was also there: his new CD is excellent!

I'm also doing the English subtitles to the Mustradem Accordeon videos; a favour to my friend Stef Milleret. It helps keep up my French.

Last year's "training" was at Australia/NZ conference n Adelaide. But I got to see daughter Mathilda and tour the Barossa wineries with her. Followed by a presentation on its wines to N Cheshire wines society.

Just now I'm holed up at home recovering from a life changing operation. Hope to get back to Xray reporting, and playing melodeon 😀 next month. So far I've only been as far as the local shops.  "Helsinki" is coming to me, next week 😁

Chris, sorry to hear about your operation, but I'm glad your home and recovering. I hope you are feeling better soon!!

Lots of family stuff for me. My lad is a keen fisherman and my daughter is a horse rider. Both require parents to be present and so I find myself sat on a river or lake bank with a rod quite often but I have yet to get on a horse.
We have a ten acre small holding with sheep, horses and pigs - all of which need daily visits and looking after along with the upkeep of the land, hedges, barns fences....
If I get some 'me time' I mountain bike, mainly locally in Derbyshire.
In between all that I have to fit in full time work!

Busy but very happy!

I've always loved biking although I go a lot slower these days as you miss all the mushrooms when going to fast:) I just recently built a chicken coup for I plan on getting a few in the spring and see if I got the homestead bug then maybe some goats.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »

Nice thread! You get to know people here in musical terms, but it is a bit one dimensional until you bump into the, at some folk do.

I've really enjoyed getting to know my fellow melodeonistas a little bit better. Thanks 😀
  _       _    _      _ 

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

Folk related interests include playing anglo concertina, playing for Morris, and singing.
As we get towards this time of year I start to look forward to the local Carol singing sessions in pubs around Sheffield and Derbyshire which fills lots of my time from mid- November each year.

Unrelated interests include food, wine, beer,  walking in the Peak District, riding my motorbike, travel, and above all going to watch Wycombe Wanderers FC when they are playing within about 80 miles of Sheffield.
Martin

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »

Nice thread! You get to know people here in musical terms, but it is a bit one dimensional until you bump into the, at some folk do.

I've really enjoyed getting to know my fellow melodeonistas a little bit better. Thanks 😀
Thanks Chris,
I too am enjoying hearing about what others are interested in. I think it tells you a lot about someone, even if they don't have any (:) I've always express to my kids to find things they would like to do ( usually getting the look) but as they are getting older I see them starting to pick things up at least trying things which is good. Work can be satisfying and give you a sense of value but there nothing like a passion out side of work, or at least doing something ( can be work like) for no money that you enjoy IMO.
I had a doctor visit just for a checkup which I haven't done for ages, so I was a little nervous going.
They must of ask 100 questions, then did a blood pressure test which came out high of course, then the physical then another BP test still high. So I went back to get a couple moles removed, another test still high, so as He was removing them I strike up a conversation about music since I knew he played guitar we talked he ask me if I played , more conversation then another BP test it was just fine then
I really found it funny / strange that not one of those 100 questions asked what I like to do for fun.

All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. That's my moto.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

I have been tempted to chime in to tell you that my favourite pastimes are extreme mountain biking and climbing to the top of incomplete skyscrapers and taking videos of myself standing on the end of a girder 1000 ft. above the ground.

But that would be untrue.  (:) I was tempted to lie because reading all the replies I thought I must be really be a dully boy, perhaps the dullest person on here. Until I read brian's contribution, that is. (I don't have a watch to wind up.)

The thing is my life changed dramatically in two respects in the space of two years between ages 48 and 50. One thing was that I fulfilled one long-standing ambition by becoming a dad (twice) and the other was that I took up the box (which had never been an ambition at all).

Kids are both teenagers now and as a result of these changes I don't really do anything outside work (I have no idea how I will ever be able to retire) other than play music, and spend time with the family. Maintaining our large garden is not a hobby, just more work. Although I do love to contemplate a freshly trimmed lawn and an orderly (if not very productive) kitchen garden. Work is freelance translation and editing. I do literacy tutoring as a volunteer, including a spell in the local jail, where I learned far more from the inmates than any of them learned from me. I play in a dance band or two and try to pass on whatever I have learned about box playing to fellow sufferers.

I'd love to be a woodworker but regluing chairs and building fences in the aforementioned garden is about as close as I get to that. I bought a table tennis table recently, hoping to rediscover my own teenage talents at that sport but my teenagers' enthusiasm for it lasted about a week.

I like cooking, particularly baking, but much as I like mushrooms, fungi spotting seems to me a little like playing Russian roulette.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

Absolutely. I've met fellow morris dancers at a woodturning exhibition, a railway open day and on top of a mountain (I used to do a lot of mountain walking when I was younger, had both my original knees and lived in a cooler climate than I do now} when I had no idea we shared an interest.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal