Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33740 times)

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »

My only other hobby , combining my love of countryside and puzzles( sometimes) is geocaching.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »

I have been tempted to chime in to tell you that my favourite pastimes are extreme mountain biking and climbing to the top of incomplete skyscrapers and taking videos of myself standing on the end of a girder 1000 ft. above the ground.

But that would be untrue.  (:) I was tempted to lie because reading all the replies I thought I must be really be a dully boy, perhaps the dullest person on here. Until I read brian's contribution, that is. (I don't have a watch to wind up.)

The thing is my life changed dramatically in two respects in the space of two years between ages 48 and 50. One thing was that I fulfilled one long-standing ambition by becoming a dad (twice) and the other was that I took up the box (which had never been an ambition at all).

Kids are both teenagers now and as a result of these changes I don't really do anything outside work (I have no idea how I will ever be able to retire) other than play music, and spend time with the family. Maintaining our large garden is not a hobby, just more work. Although I do love to contemplate a freshly trimmed lawn and an orderly (if not very productive) kitchen garden. Work is freelance translation and editing. I do literacy tutoring as a volunteer, including a spell in the local jail, where I learned far more from the inmates than any of them learned from me. I play in a dance band or two and try to pass on whatever I have learned about box playing to fellow sufferers.

I'd love to be a woodworker but regluing chairs and building fences in the aforementioned garden is about as close as I get to that. I bought a table tennis table recently, hoping to rediscover my own teenage talents at that sport but my teenagers' enthusiasm for it lasted about a week.

I like cooking, particularly baking, but much as I like mushrooms, fungi spotting seems to me a little like playing Russian roulette.

Well don't get me wrong for melodeon playing and music is a hobby or passion for you and Brian.
And it sounds like you do a lot to me even if you don't love the gardening part I bet you enjoy the product and the cooking of it, maybe not so much the canning  (:) raising children is also a great sense of achievement and it' gets even better as they get older, from my experience. Although I do miss how adorable they were when they were little. We have a ton of video that helps bring those days back.

As for mushroom hunting I'm very careful with Identifying them and have never gotten sick from them, there are some that I have identified but won't eat because of the family they are from or poisonous look alikes. There are more good than bad for starters, and a lot of them are easy to identify. The common white button you buy in the store is from an easy to identify family, it has chocolate brown spores and free gills and no other mushrooms have those features, there is one in that family that could make you sick but it smells bad like a chemical where the good ones smell like anise.
Also chicken and hen of the woods are real easy to identify nothing looks like them and or no poisonous look alikes. They are found on trees, hen being the best IMO is found at the base of oaks , they are very high in vitamin D and others vitamins. Plus this mushroom also has chemicals that help fight cancer and other benefits. Then you have the common puff ball, those things when you were a kid  that you stepped on and a puff of brown smoke ( the spores) came out, they are found in grass and when young are pure white inside with a texture of cheese are edible and good.
Once you know a few keys to identifying them it's not that dangerous. And it's also a lot fun and learning about the relationship between them and trees is interesting. Trees can't grow with out mushrooms for mushrooms the plant that's under ground ( not the part we eat) decompose the leaf litter so that the tree can then use it as food. And certain mushrooms grow only with certain trees as a general rule, some grow with more than one.
I find just like garden plants have givers, takers , parasites, etc. so do mushrooms and people for that matter. Nature can tell us a lot about ourselves if we look.

I hope my spelling is ok, it's usually not.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:59 PM »

Until I retired in July, I was an embedded systems engineer - a mixture of electronics designs and software, as well as being the company's IT department. There were only 5 of us and I really enjoyed it. Electronics and then computing where what I always wanted to do for a living.

Retirement also meant moving house (to West Yorkshire, for those who haven't caught up), so I am now drowning in DIY projects. Simple furniture (shelves and other simple storage, etc) are about as good as I get in woodwork, but I also like doing bit of electric wiring, especially lighting.

I also enjoy messing about with computers, building web sites (which I sometimes do for other people) and run a very low profile web hosting business which just pays for itself and enables me to host my own sites effectively for free. Two melnetters are among my customers.

My electronics interest has always included audio and I have a home recording studio which occasionally does small paying projects. That's not functional right now as it needs to be rebuilt in the new house, which is also one reason why I haven't done any YouTube videos for a while - I'll be back, eventually!

With Mary Humphreys, my wife and musical partner,  we continue to go round the clubs and festivals (been a bit quiet lately for various reasons) and are looking for new opportunities for playing ceilidhs in our new location, and for sessions, including very likely reviving one that used to happen at our local...

When we have a bit more time we'll do a bit more walking (Ilkley Moor is within walking distance from back o't'house) and sightseeing.

Eventual ambitions: to play cello more, get more gigs with Mary, make another album, get some more work for the studio and possibly some web site work too. And get a bit fitter, too!

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »

I like spending my time reading all the guff on melodeon.net ... when I logged in today it kindly told me that I've spent over 26 days of my life doing this!

Whenever my partner looks over my shoulder and sees my 'total time logged in' count she is incredulous that I could waste so much time on here. [She's probably right too, but I maintain my stolid facade in the face of such provocation]

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »

Drink!  :|glug
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »

Well since I "retired" 6 years ago (i was self employed IT Consultant / Support person) - I seem to be as busy as ever, although the timing of things is much more under my control and my excuse "I am mean't to be retired" works quite well some of the time!

I have one commercial client I cannot shake off, and one I do as a favour for a friend, plus database and web work for a national educational charity. I still love computers (I first programmed one in 1968) and spend a significant part of my day in front of my Linux based system.

I also host about 20 WordPress websites for friends and clients and myself (so it pays for itself).

I play in a band which also runs a 2 weekly dance club , and also am the main administrator for a monthly Slow and Steady session in Chorley. I am also working on a folk music "event" for 2019 and 2020 which I suspect will take up more of my time as we get closer.

I go to a weekly and 3 or 4 monthly music sessions,

I also enjoy reading (New Scientist, a Linux magazine and books).  I like biographies and science based stuff, but am not adverse to the occasional novel.

My aged parents live very close so I spend at least 1-2 hours a day round there, and I have 2 small to mid range grandchildren who sometimes take my time, plus my wife and I like to cycle on our Cannondale tandem.  We also enjoy museums and art galleries if we can get away, and bird watching and general nature type things.

<later> Oh and I forgot - Films and television (the latter mainly science and astronomy based documentaries), Classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, baroque) and Puccini Operas!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:05:56 AM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »

Drink!  :|glug
(:) I'll add that to the list as one other listed it.
I like a good IPA myself and maybe a touch of whiskey now and then, not so much a hobby but a necessity I think.
Cheers!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »

Short list so far- of common interest one or more other likes doing.

Woodworking and or working your wood :P
Gardening
Reading
Making or fixing things
Photography
Scuba diving
Painting
Nature and earth science
Trains or mechanical devices
Traveling
Walking and or hiking about
Fishing
Playing, writing  or listening to music
Cooking
Morris Dancing
Firefighting
Singing
Visiting melodeon.net
Drinking wine, beer, etc.
Playing other instruments
Did I miss any?
I must admit I feel a little like FB gathering info on people but this is interesting.

Edit to add to list
Moving this list forward. Keep adding and I'll keep adding to list.
I was hoping I'd find some more weird ones like mushroom hunting and pylon appreciation society. Which is really weird, never even heard of such a thing, but I do like it!

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »

Bat conservation Trust, fully paid up member as well as bumble bee conservation. I've been known to hunt frogs as well, in a conservational way you'll understand.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Steve Coombes

• Good talker
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »

The Normal other activities are Morris Dancing and reading (into Boris Akunin at the moment)
Slightly less normal I play in an evening skittles league.
And the weird one, I take part in Roll playing games (nothing to do with sex) Dungeons and Dragons, Rollmaster/Spacemaster and the like.
So nothing practical or worthy and now I feel that I'm letting the side down... too late to change now ;D
Tommy D/G

Brian Rawcliffe

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »

Sailing, especially long cruises!  (:) Three and a half years into the current trip and in Guatemala at the mo sheltering for the hurricane season. However, despite my earlier optimism, the climate in the tropics is slowly destroying the three boxes I have aboard. Everything rusts, almost overnight...

Back to Europe next summer...

deltasalmon

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »

All the interesting hobbies in this thread are really making me look forward to retirement.  :||:
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »

Sean, the best part of retirement is just not having to go to work. Being able to pick up a box and have a squeeze any time you fancy is a huge bonus. (And that's from someone who always loved his work.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

Being able to pick up a box and have a squeeze any time you fancy is a huge bonus.

;D looking round the room there's a Liliput nestling within reach in an armchair and another tucked against the sofa ...... I took George's advice to leave instruments where they could be easily played to heart  :|||: ;D .....  sometimes one has even made it onto the allotment to practice on while resting from weeding  (:)
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »

Bat conservation Trust, fully paid up member as well as bumble bee conservation. I've been known to hunt frogs as well, in a conservational way you'll understand.
That's admirable! We need conservation and these animals are telling us something. I didn't realize bumble bees were in danger as I still see some in my garden and on flowers, not so much honey bees.
I use to hunt frogs when I was little, big bull 🐸, I wish someone told me to respect them, because I didn't which I regret. But you can't change the past only the future. Best wishes for the conservation effort! Also I put bat boxes up around my place but no takers even though they're around. They probably like the neighbors barn.

Being able to pick up a box and have a squeeze any time you fancy is a huge bonus.

;D looking round the room there's a Liliput nestling within reach in an armchair and another tucked against the sofa ...... I took George's advice to leave instruments where they could be easily played to heart  :|||: ;D .....  sometimes one has even made it onto the allotment to practice on while resting from weeding  (:)
I too keep my boxes within reach or on the sofa, my wife calls it my girlfriend because it's always between us on the sofa. (:) really nothing could be further from the truth, I love that woman!

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »

I hope I'm slightly still on topic, but bumble bees are declining rapidly and are much better pollinators than honey bees. I refer you all to the book by Dave Goulson, " a sting in the tale" ISBN 9780224096898. Its very funny and deadly serious at the same time.

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »

Photographer...commercial with aerial and construction progress as special aspects, turned ahobby into aself employed job. Flying. Playing the boxes, watching wildlife with a camera.Swimming, recently started regular one mile pool distances. and tied in to that some gym weights and cross trainer. Aiming to be a very fit OAP in 7 months time. Plenty of other interests including vintage aircraft.

www.scotaviaimages.co.uk

melodeon

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »

Taking care of  my 11  1/2 acres and refurbishing my 1964 MGB ( lifetime project) .
Overhauling my house (s) for eventual sale in an effort to get away from the dope growers who have invaded and destroyed our community.

And this:

http://www.jjhildrethstudios.com/

I have my automotive logos in 21 countries to include several auto museums in Japan, Belgium, Australia, Chicago, Florida, Texas  etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:24:33 PM by melodeon »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »

I had a 1962 Riley 1.5 for a few years. Loved it until a motorbike beckoned. Used both as everyday transport. Amazingwhat you forget. Good thread.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »

Rare breed sheep and ponies

Cooking

Growing things to cook

Reading

Frequently saying "It wouldn't have happened in my day..."  :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal