Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33741 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

I hope I'm slightly still on topic, but bumble bees are declining rapidly and are much better pollinators than honey bees. I refer you all to the book by Dave Goulson, " a sting in the tale" ISBN 9780224096898. Its very funny and deadly serious at the same time.
I don't think there is off topic in this thread (:)
Sad about the bees and other animals. I may look at the book sometime when I get a chance, I'm pretty sure it has some thing to do with the chemicals we use to grow stuff. There's a good book called The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael pollan where he discusses our over use of chemicals and our crazy system of food production.
We definitely could "bee" kinder to them and help ourselves out in the process.

Photographer...commercial with aerial and construction progress as special aspects, turned ahobby into aself employed job. Flying. Playing the boxes, watching wildlife with a camera.Swimming, recently started regular one mile pool distances. and tied in to that some gym weights and cross trainer. Aiming to be a very fit OAP in 7 months time. Plenty of other interests including vintage aircraft.

www.scotaviaimages.co.uk
Nice work/play! I grew up near a small airport, I enjoyed watching them especially the gliders. They also did skydiving and would drop wind direction streamers out of the planes, we'd chase those things for hours never knowing where we would end up.

Taking care of  my 11  1/2 acres and refurbishing my 1964 MGB ( lifetime project) .
Overhauling my house (s) for eventual sale in an effort to get away from the dope growers who have invaded and destroyed our community.

And this:

http://www.jjhildrethstudios.com/

I have my automotive logos in 21 countries to include several auto museums in Japan, Belgium, Australia, Chicago, Florida, Texas  etc.

It's good to have a life time project , gives you something to get to. Or in My case ( working on my house ) gives My wife a reason to keep Me around ;)
Nice art work on your signage, it looks like you age them for that vintage look. Also nice to put a face to people you know here!
Rare breed sheep and ponies

Cooking

Growing things to cook

Reading

Frequently saying "It wouldn't have happened in my day..."  :|glug
Nice Baz, as I mentioned earlier in a post I'm getting some chickens come spring, I was thinking rare breed birds but since this is my first venture into livestock I not sure I want to kill anything rare :D

Thanks again to all for your contributions!  It's good to see and hear your story's .
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »

Comic books, reading, philosophy, song writing
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »

Well I never Baz! I didn't know that. Fascinating.
I heard last night on local BBC news the Asian Hornet has been discovered in Woolacombe in the north of Devon, and now anther colony much closer in Plymouh. They simply eat and destroy honey bees at an incredible rate ( 1 hornet kills 3 bees *per minute* ) and are a huge worry, hence  the area being quarantined by DEFRA.

Which only goes to prove, as my first job was being assigned to work with an Entomologist at my local University, it has instilled a love and fascination with insects and I look and observe whilst the rest of the family go 'bleugh....' and run!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Worldsend

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »

Beekeeping

Jacob sheep

help at cubs

hospice volunteer

I work full time so just think what I can do when I retire!!

Just had my first melodeon lesson eeekkk my head's going to explode
my kids just shake their heads in despair they thought beekeeping was bad enough

Likely to waste a lot of time reading all of the advice on the forum

I
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:43:58 PM by Worldsend »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »

That's not wasting time, it's learning! Welcome and good luck.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2017, 01:14:30 AM »

Beekeeping

Jacob sheep

help at cubs

hospice volunteer

I work full time so just think what I can do when I retire!!

Just had my first melodeon lesson eeekkk my head's going to explode
my kids just shake their heads in despair they thought beekeeping was bad enough

Likely to waste a lot of time reading all of the advice on the forum

I
Welcome to the forum!
Hospice care and end of life care is a difficult time in peoples lives. I have a couple of sister in laws that do this as nurses and my Dad did this for awhile as a volunteer and know it takes a special person to be there for the family's during this time of life. I commend you!

I use to get that from my kids too when I first started to play melodeon but now they are interested, as I've gotten a little better and I know they admire the fact that I've push myself to do it and that I'm still keeping at it. passions can do that for you. That's why I was interested in what other peoples interest or passions are.
Thanks for sharing!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

AirTime

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »

Kitesurfing

Melodeon playing

Skiing

Sim Racing

Gardening

My kids seem to think I'm "eccentric". I have no idea why   :-\

My eldest daughter is now also an avid kitesurfer, so doesn't think I'm quite as weird. Maybe she'll take up the melodeon next ... then my parenting job will be done!   8)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »

Well, I've been to Church this evening, so that must count, but an the other hand I did suggest to the organist (who plays keyboards in the Bad Bargain Band) that "Plough The Fields and Scatter" might be improved by being played on melodeon, so maybe it doesn't count. I'm all bewildered ...

I also do Family History and -

Play fiddle and gobiron
Go contra dancing
Ceilidh Dancing
Longsword
Play for Ebor Morris
Housework etc
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

911377brian

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »

As someone receiving palliative outreach care from our local hospice,hats off to you, Worlds end.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Our very best wishes in that, Brian. I'm sure that I speak for the group. Your
  many contributions, and pithy wit are well valued. Keep winding that watch 😉
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

Ditto !
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »

I see that I forgot to list canoeing when I can, walking, and talking a lot. Oh, and the drink.  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »

Double ditto!! Brian, I hope you get well with the care you are receiving.

I see that I forgot to list canoeing when I can, walking, and talking a lot. Oh, and the drink.  :|glug
I'm usually fishing when 🛶 it's a great way to see wild life as you can sneak up to them and most animals don't seem to mind. It's also good to have a drink on hand and a life vest!! Best to leave the melodeon at home or camp:)

mselic

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »

I live in the Gatineau Hills in Quebec on 4 acres of rolling land surrounded by wildlife. I perform in theatre and work as a musician. I sing and play guitar, as well as some banjo, mandolin (and equivalent 5th apart counterparts such as the octave mandolin) and harmonica. Since it's tricky to make ends meet with music alone, I also work as a carpenter and home builder/renovator. I've kept my heavy truck licence and sometimes haul snow in the wintertime (yes, that's what we do here - haul snow by the dump truck load once the streets are plowed!) These days I'm doing less and less of the latter two and more of the former :D

I live near the Gatineau river, so there is plenty of swimming and canoeing in the warmer months. In the winter I snowshoe and sometimes dogsled. Next year I plan on keeping chickens and other small animals again. I have a building on my property that used to be an artist's studio, and I'm looking into breathing some life back into that space. I live with my 8 year-old son, who's been messing around with the box lately...;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:55:07 AM by mselic »
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2017, 07:19:03 AM »

Yes indeed Brian!

Best wishes
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »

I live in the Gatineau Hills in Quebec on 4 acres of rolling land surrounded by wildlife. I perform in theatre and work as a musician. I sing and play guitar, as well as some banjo, mandolin (and equivalent 5th apart counterparts such as the octave mandolin) and harmonica. Since it's tricky to make ends meet with music alone, I also work as a carpenter and home builder/renovator. I've kept my heavy truck licence and sometimes haul snow in the wintertime (yes, that's what we do here - haul snow by the dump truck load once the streets are plowed!) These days I'm doing less and less of the latter two and more of the former :D

I live near the Gatineau river, so there is plenty of swimming and canoeing in the warmer months. In the winter I snowshoe and sometimes dogsled. Next year I plan on keeping chickens and other small animals again. I have a building on my property that used to be an artist's studio, and I'm looking into breathing some life back into that space. I live with my 8 year-old son, who's been messing around with the box lately...;)

We have a few things in common, we both play a Beltuna in D ( I still struggle with calling myself a musician more of a wannabe) , carpentry/ home building, and plans for raising chickens come spring (:) I have been wanting to do this for years now but keep putting it off, so this year I built a coup with run, so I now have to get some.
Thanks for your contribution.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2017, 11:15:03 PM »

Almost started a new thread, called: What have you done today to make you feel proud?
In the summer I tried practising in France at a little village green - absolutely dead, then a car of relaxed young women stopped to listen while they smoked. Big grin.
Then I got home and back to isolation (melodeonically speaking).
On Thursday I went to listen to the local session in Hexham. Ended up going home to grab a melodeon, and sat there for an hour with some attempt to play tunes I'd never heard before (not that it would have made much difference).
Yesterday morning I turned up (invited by David Oliver - many thanks) to join in a rehearsal of the village band. I was the only melodeon player, and everything was by ear - not my strength.
Tonight I went to a first rehearsal of French music in Newcastle (with dancers). Julian Sutton was there, hardly playing while others of us fumbled (there was music but mostly not GC friendly).
So in other words, I've achieved more in a week than I have for 4 years.
Massive progress, not as a player, but in terms of joining in music making instead of developing lonely skills at home (which I still enjoy).
Great support everywhere I went, and great hopes of it continuing.
Thanks for listening.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »

P&T last post stated "So in other words, I've achieved more in a week than I have for 4 years.
Massive progress, not as a player, but in terms of joining in music making instead of developing lonely skills at home (which I still enjoy).
Great support everywhere I went, and great hopes of it continuing."

Great post P&T. You're putting it about! Nice to see that Julian attended the Newcastle French band practice tonight. In the end, I couldn't make it in time after finishing the Mel Biggs  workshop "Thinking Outside of the Box" in Winster. Now that was a great weekend with the Derbyshire Melodeon Playgroup followed by Mel's workshop, although it was rather eventful. I may resume my other interests this week; tiddlywinks, frogger, train spotting and pylon observations.       

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »

Pete, I've got to say that the two times I've seen you at the North East Melodeon Group, you've worked wonders among the few who attend. You should be proud of that, and I hope you can continue to help us along.
Thank you.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2017, 12:24:14 AM »

That's great P&T,
Thanks for for your contribution.
It's always nice to join in, even if your not playing at these outings. And as you say, you can learn quite a bit from these experiences stuff that you won't get by playing alone. Also nice when people stop by to enjoy the music your're making, even better when they are relaxed 😎. I been going to local accoustic jam sessions in my area, there's a couple of people that play Irish stuff but most play bluegrass and folk. The bluegrass folks play tunes that might be Irish like some hornpipes but play them as reels and fast, I can't always keep up and they change the rhythm and sound of the tune to the point where I am lost. But I still learn a lot about the music and how it could be played. Also when I start a tune they all play along to what I'm doing without taking over, and the benefit is the tune I'm playing sounds so much better with the other players than it would if I was playing alone. These players know music and can find the rhythm of a tune by ear which amazes me. I don't have the best ear to just pick stuff right out, but I am improving by just doing it. It also helps to be playing with nice people who are there to just have fun. I also noticed that some players are trying to play stuff that I know, so they must like the sound of the melodeon or what I'm doing which is makes me feel proud. This group takes the summer off but will be starting up again soon, I'm looking forward to that.
Cheers,
Michael
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal