Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33733 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »

I may resume my other interests this week; tiddlywinks, frogger, train spotting and pylon observations.     

(:) (:)
Nigel, you do have some quirky interest (in a good way) I wasn't sure if you were just pulling my leg, but I'm thinking not.
I do like frogger also 🐸
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »

I've really enjoyed reading all the contributions here and so feel that I should take part in this thread.
I have always been interested in wildlife and was born in the Lake District where I lived until I went to work at my first job which was at Whipsnade Wildlife Park. My hobby for 30 years was Falconry which became my profession for a short time during the early 1970s. I am still an active member of the British Falconer's Club although I no longer fly hawks.
I took a pilot's licence and flew a microlight aircraft for 7 years.
I fly fish for Salmon and Sea Trout in Sweden and counties in England where it is possible during the Summer.
I started to play diatonic accordeon about 18 years ago and of course it is now my passion and will take the rest of my life (and more) to learn....it affords plenty of scope. I play now with a young lady who lives in France (I like the French dance music) and we skype and meet regularly to play together.
I ski every Winter and have done so for the past 39 years.
I keep bees and produce up to 200lbs of honey most years.
I enjoy cooking and eating wild food and drinking French Red Wine.
I like single malt whiskey.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »

Thanks for the contribution Roland
Interesting hobby Falconry, do you hunt with them or do they just get their dinner?
I had a cat that was snapped up by a hawk, I don't know how the hawk pick him up as he was pretty big. Nature at work for he certainly took his share of prey.
How many bees/ hives does it take to get that much honey? Seems like it would take a few hives.
I like fly fishing too, mostly wet flies/ streamers. I assume that's what your using. I don't fish the ocean though but you'd think I would since I live right near the ocean, probably because I'm hunting for mushrooms in the woods. I seem to only fish when I go away to a lake or other spots.
Cheers
Michael

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

melodeon

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »

I make ice fishing decoys, vernacular furniture, automotive logo art, I make stringed instruments to include cavaquinho and classical/flamenco guitars...I collect exotic and rare hardwoods specifically for musical instrument collection.. I have been hauling much of this around for 45 plus years.
Restore British cars and old American trucks..

Danielle M

• Saltarelle "Parisien" - Hohner Valpareso
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »

Hi to all readers

I do sailing and kayacking. It is on a old fishing boat (used now as a leasure boat) that my first contact with the instrument took place. A few accordeons players gave us a lot of pleasure with some lively tunes and then one of them put a instrument in my hands and ask me to play a few notes at random.  It was pretty bad as I knew nothing about music, nevertheless it convinced me that I should give it a try. 

Not sure I would really like it after a while I decided to rent an instrument and started to learn on my own through the net and paper methods. I have been playing now (or rather trying to !) for around 7 months and I am, for sure, hooked into it.  I have now started to take a few lessons, now and then, with a teacher so, hopefully, things will get better.

I am hoping that one day I will be able to play good enough so I can use my accordeon on the old boats myself, thus enable me to link my two activities because I think they go well together.

P.S. I have, since, bought 2 accordeons : An old Hohner Valpareso and a Saltarelle

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:50:45 AM by Danielle M »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »

Hi Danielle,
Welcome to this site and to the wonderful world of melodeons, it's easy to get hooked.
We got some old fishing boats schooners around my area (Gloucester ma.) that are now being used for leisure and educational purposes. I've yet to get on one when out on the water sailing. They do sails around Cape Ann, sometimes Celtic sails with live music. I bet they have a lot of fun. I got to tour it recently when it was docked, it's a beauty very well restored. Here's the link to their web sites http://schooner-adventure.org/    http://www.schoonerardelle.com/ you may find them interesting.
Good luck with your melodeon playing.
Cheers
Michael

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »

I make ice fishing decoys, vernacular furniture, automotive logo art, I make stringed instruments to include cavaquinho and classical/flamenco guitars...I collect exotic and rare hardwoods specifically for musical instrument collection.. I have been hauling much of this around for 45 plus years.
Restore British cars and old American trucks..
Thanks for the contribution Jeff
Interesting stuff you do! I always thought with ice fishing, that one would cut a hole, set the trap with live minnow, go hide out in shack and drink then wait for the flag to pop up. (:) I never heard about using decoys before.
I'd like to have an old American truck that would be cool. I'm a ford guy but any would do. I also like the old internationals.
Cheers
Michael
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:34:08 AM by boxcall »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »

I used to drive a 1962 Riley 1.5 as my only transport. It was in great shape. Sold it shortly after kids arrived.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »

Thought I'd jump in and say hi as well.
This forum is an incredibly valuable resource for a new fumbling player so many many thanks!

Actually another hobby of mine is the reason why I got into melodeons in the first place.
Mitch mentioned the 'maker' community a few pages back, anyway, a few years ago, together with a friend, I've created a makeshift "Accordion Hero" from a toy button accordion (unfortunately I don't have any pictures).

After showing it off at whatever conference  I've removed the electrical parts from the accordion and restored it to working order (well, for a toy accordion). In the following year or two I've played it a bit (right hand only) to the dismay of everyone in hearing distance.

Fast-forward a few years, I've decided it is time to learn how to play on a new instrument, remembered the happiness that silly little toy brought me, and after a short foray into the world of PA I'm now happily wearing my fingers off playing my box.

In my current inept state I find myself playing on my guitar (another hobby!) the melodeon tunes I wish I could play.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »

Hi Eshed,
Welcome to the forum.
so, what are you playing now? Do tell.
Good luck with your playing it's a great hobby and you'll get lots of good advise here.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Unfortunately melodeons aren't very popular here, barely anyone knows they even exist.
I've only found one store selling a new Delicia Popular 1914 for quite a bit over what I'd call a reasonable budget for someone who can't play (yet).

Thanks to the advice on this forum I knew I didn't want to buy anything used from ebay, so I've decided to take a calculated risk and buy one of the unknown french Gankine GC boxes that appear on ebay every now and then (including shipping, taxes etc. it cost me less than half of what the Delicia would have).

The quality is ok-ish and it's definitely playable, so for now it seems that the risk was worth it. I should probably make a more elaborate post on this in the makes & models forum rather than drive this thread off topic.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Mike Mccarthy

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »

outside of music mostly it's outdoorsy stuff, I'm a gardener for a living (2nd career type thing) and we have a small smallholding, so that takes up a lot of time. We like to go walking, I'd love to take up sea fishing, but finding the time seems awkward (one day will do it though) and I shoot a bit as well. Other than that, have a lifetimes addiction to books and reading (mostly fantasy and sci fi, and history) and when I'm not gardening we sell 2nd hand books and collectables. That all seems to keep me busy.
Unbranded East German box in GD, sounds pretty good to my untutored ears.

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »

I have been busy of late reducing my sheep farming commitments here on the edge of the South Pennines.   My lambing sheep are now hopefully happily grazing pastures new so no lambing certainly for next year.  We are busy converting a barn into additional self catering accommodation but I am looking forward to being able to get away to a few festivals next year and hopefully meet a few more people from this forum. 

I get out hill walking when I can with my husband and two sheepdogs.  I have also been renovating an old caravan for the last two years as a sewing/DIY project.  My festival getaway!  :|||:

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »

I have also been renovating an old caravan for the last two years as a sewing/DIY project.  My festival getaway!  :|||:

What sort of van?  Back in UK we had a couple of classics - a little 1969 Cheltenham Fawn, and a beautiful coachbuilt Royale, of which only about 1200 were ever made.  We had to say a sad goodbye to both of them when we moved to Cyprus...

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »

I have also been renovating an old caravan for the last two years as a sewing/DIY project.  My festival getaway!  :|||:

What sort of van? 

what sort of sheep?
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »

My caravan is a little 80's pop top Fleurette.  It is light enough for me to manhandle and hitch up all by myself and small enough with the roof down to fit into my corner of the shed.  My sheep are North of England mule gimmer lambs now.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »

Networks, Cloud industry, Drumming and cooking are some of my other activities.
Self employed at the moment as well common bonding so far.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »

My caravan is a little 80's pop top Fleurette.  It is light enough for me to manhandle and hitch up all by myself and small enough with the roof down to fit into my corner of the shed.  My sheep are North of England mule gimmer lambs now.

WE may have discussed caravans and sheep on a melodeon forum. I think we got away with it.... >:E

(whispers shetlands..)
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »

WE may have discussed caravans and sheep on a melodeon forum. I think we got away with it.... >:E

(whispers shetlands..)

To redress the balance, I've just mentioned the melodeon on a baas-players' forum....
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »

(whispers shetlands..)

To redress the balance, I've just mentioned the melodeon on a baas-players' forum....

You sure it was not a baaagpipe players forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal