Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?  (Read 33734 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Melodeon playing and what other things do you like to do?
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »

Yes, it's a funny how things work out when looking back.
I do need to re-kickstart my cycling though. I'm sure a reoccurring knee problem when dancing would fade if I got my legs going properly again.
Trouble is, I now look out at horizontal rain or a really cold day and somehow learning a new tune appeals more!
Q
now becoming a wimp brought on by melodeonism.....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »

I hear you, Q.
I was always out walking in the woods foraging for my favorite things and now I tend to sit around playing, which is nice but might not be as good for my physical well being as sitting is not so good for you in general.

Edit to add: unless of course you are sitting with a nice cold beer to drink (:)

Cheers
M
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:10:23 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

Hah!
Well of course I am improving my mental wellbeing by constantly  exercising my brain trying to work out how these silly things work.
that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »

At the risk of contradicting a previous post, I am noticing that my current fascination with C tuning on my guitar is shaping my right hand chording on the box. Who would have thought?
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2018, 09:41:18 PM »

Gary, this sounds like what happened to me the intense attempts of doing chords on the my melodeon with the left hand made my left hand way more flexible and more syncopated on my drum set :D
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:02 AM »

Gary, this sounds like what happened to me the intense attempts of doing chords on the my melodeon with the left hand made my left hand way more flexible and more syncopated on my drum set :D
One thing I have learned while taking all the roundabouts and detours involved in a lifetime of playing music: nothing is ever wasted.

Good man.
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »

Walking in the countryside and pondering life with my two dogs. Playing a bit of Irish banjo and a little mandolin. Surfing youtube for tunes. But best of all sitting in the pub playing tunes with my friends. (:)
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »

Sequence dancing which has shown  a vast improvement along with my playing the box.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »

One thing I have learned while taking all the roundabouts and detours involved in a lifetime of playing music: nothing is ever wasted.

Good man.

roundabouts? I thought we called them rotaries or traffic circles over here ;) (:)

Walking in the countryside and pondering life with my two dogs. Playing a bit of Irish banjo and a little mandolin. Surfing youtube for tunes. But best of all sitting in the pub playing tunes with my friends. (:)

I love taking walks in the countryside and wish sometimes I was a dog pondering where my next pee or place to lie down should be:)
Thanks for your contribution

Sequence dancing which has shown  a vast improvement along with my playing the box.
I had to look up Sequence dancing, I never heard of it. I guess it covers pretty much all styles of ballroom type dances? I'm thinking of attending a contra dance in my area this weekend, not to dance, but to sit in with the musicians and play some tunes.
Thanks for contributing
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »

roundabouts? I thought we called them rotaries or traffic circles over here ;) (:)

I'm trying to fit in. No ugly American, I.   8) 8)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:42 PM »

Ah right! (:)

It's hard not to look like an ugly American these days :o

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

We have Magic Roundabouts here in England.
The one in Swindon is brilliant  (:)

Aerial view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

Edited to update Youtube link.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:46:55 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »

The Moor End Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead was converted to that system from a huge conventional roundabout at
around the same time, with dramatic savings in transit time for all traffic.

(Ahem... we digress!)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »

You have to live, as I do, in an area of North America where roundabouts are practically non-existent to appreciate that they are the product of genius - as you sit dumbly at a red traffic light in a deserted town in the early hours of the morning, for example, or as a pedestrian you press the button to cross a busy intersection and wait what seems like 10 minutes before you can. The first example contrasts with my memory of, in my teenage motorcycling days, riding home right around the Norwich ring road in the early hours of the morning at a lovely clip - quick glance to the right as you approach the roundabout to check nothing is coming, ease off the throttle, three quick flicks of the hips left-right-left, open up the gas and you're well on your way to the next one.

Self-regulating systems (controlled by the participants) with no moving parts needing replacement and zero electricity consumption. Simply brilliant and environmentally friendly.

To stem the digression: melodeon player Dave Hennessy has composed some fine Cork/Kerry Polkas including The New Roundabout.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »

Aerial view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kafx_GGHqVg

I like it!! although I'm not sure who's got the right of way, though I do see a couple of lines across the road where people are stopping. In the video a couple of cars get into the area that says keep clear and stop (only for a moment), I'd like to see it during your rush hour, I can't imagine that was during rush hour in the video. One feature that's nice is you don't have to go 3/4 of the way around as it appears there's a cut off lane to get there, although you have to stop and cut across traffic again.
I not sure how well it would work here for people coming in to a rotary/ roundabout Do not have the right of way , but they act like they do. And also some people that do have the right of way that are in the rotary stop and jam everything up. Common sense goes along way to getting traffic to move smoothly.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »

Aerial view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kafx_GGHqVg
A thing of beauty.
M

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »

I like it!! although I'm not sure who's got the right of way

It's simply a small circular two-way road with lots of mini-roundabouts on it, so usual rules apply at each mini-roundabout in turn as you progress round. The Swindon one is more confusing than the Moor End one I mentioned earlier, because the circular island in the middle of the Moor End roundabout is much bigger, so you can't see the traffic on the other side side of it.

The safety improvement from forcing everybody to negotiate is a bit like the Dutch idea of removing lane markings and traffic lights from busy junctions
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2018, 08:30:40 PM »

Reviving this thread or should I say, bringing it back in a roundabout way ;)

I just ordered 6 / day old chicks, dipping my feet into to homesteading/ animal husbandry.
I'll let you know six months or so from now if its something I like to do other than playing the melodeon 8)

I know my 31 yr old daughter can't wait to live vicariously though my new venture, really she just wants to hold the baby chicks.
6 birds x 4 eggs per week= two dozen eggs, probably more than My wife and I can eat so she will get some eggs also.

Excited  (:)

gettabettabox

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:05 PM »

Think you mean ... eggcited?!

gettabettabox

« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »

Just had to say it...still full of Easter!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal