Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Play home at night in an apartment  (Read 3232 times)

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

deltasalmon

Re: Play home at night in an apartment
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »

I've used the Hohner / Tradlessons ones. They're very cool and really well done apps but I don't think that practice on the app really translates over much to playing on a physical melodeon.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »

I have tried TradLessons versions but found them really hard work as you have to input a suck/blow indication that is hard to get used too, His English Concertina and Hammer Dulcimer apps are fun though

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »

You could save up for one of the  midi boxes
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »

You could save up for one of the  midi boxes

Well, as I am still a beginner after many years! . . .   I just want to play at 2 am.   
   midi   ? ? ?
To save up will take the rest of my life
To build one will be a little more fun, but also take the rest of my life  . . .   something simple I could use  in the middle of the night, and only I can hear it.   That is what I want.

And that is probably what my neighbors want too.
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »

To save up will take the rest of my life...

I know what you mean, but I suspect it is still the easiest, possibly the only way to get a neighbour friendly melodeon experience. Unless you are a very experienced instrument builder and electronic engineer, of some kind. Someone was doing a conversion. Wonder how it's going?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Little Eggy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »

We should be grateful we don't play bagpipes.  I saw a bloke practising - kilt and all - on Clifton Downs (Bristol) one night.  Looked rather sad but no doubt he was enjoying himself.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »

We should be grateful we don't play bagpipes.  I saw a bloke practising - kilt and all - on Clifton Downs (Bristol) one night.  Looked rather sad but no doubt he was enjoying himself.

I have electronic bagpipes as well - well actually technopipes :)  Rather fun but not very practical.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve Coombes

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

Has any one tried to baffle the sound buy perhaps putting soft foam behind the grill and leaving a small air gap between foam and reeds or replacing the grill with something solid.
In wet weather conditions people have been known to play under a cape or to put a bin bag over the instrument therefore could you play it in
a sound insulating melodeon cover.
I do agree that these approaches would at best compromise the feel/play-ability of the instrument.
Or start a Streb fund.  I assume practicing at a normal time is out of the question.   
Tommy D/G

Angienever

• Good talker
    • Sacred Shimmy Tribal Bellydance
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »

My accordion teacher said it's totally fine to practice in the middle of the night as long as you drape a comforter or blanket over yourself.  He said that makes it quiet enough.

I'm guessing his roommates wished him dead on more than one occasion.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »

My neighbour came knocking hard on my front door at 2am this morning, luckily I was already up practicing on my melodeon  ::)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »

I used to play the Eb clarinet (really high loud piccolo clarinet) inside a sheepskin coat worn backwards - arms going in at the cuffs and out into the coat.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »

My wife suffers from very bad migraines so sometimes I will make a flask of coffee and drive my car to somewhere quiet and sit in the back and practice

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »

The police will never believe you...

Rob.

I have been known to pull over into a layby, next to the kebab van, on my way home from a session to play a tune I've just picked up before I forget it.

george garside

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »

My neighbour came knocking hard on my front door at 2am this morning, luckily I was already up practicing on my melodeon  ::)

;D
g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »

If this persists, maybe you should see about getting an ASBO to stop him from disturbing your practice.
Greg Smith

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »

;D ;D ;D that has gone through my head! Besides the dodgy activities that do seem to go on quite a lot in Cornish laybys - I did once pull up behind a car and in the back was a young man playing the guitar 8) I went over and said hello but he seemed to think that a man with a melodeon in a layby was a weird thing! whereas a man with a guitar was perfectly fine :||:

Chris Brimley

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »

You can pick up FR18's at ridiculously low prices these days.  One would definitely help.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »

;D ;D ;D that has gone through my head! Besides the dodgy activities that do seem to go on quite a lot in Cornish laybys - I did once pull up behind a car and in the back was a young man playing the guitar 8) I went over and said hello but he seemed to think that a man with a melodeon in a layby was a weird thing! whereas a man with a guitar was perfectly fine :||:

Was once overtaken at speed on the M4 by a bloke steering with one hand and playing trumpet with the other  :o

george garside

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »

of absolutely no relevance to anything - before I had the ?luxury of a car radio I used to keep a mouthie in the glovebox for a quick tune or two if stuck in a traffic jam1

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal