Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune Identification  (Read 1093 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Tune Identification
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

Hi, might be an easy one, might not be;

One of my band mates (accordion player) suggested a set of 3 jigs they've had tucked away in a folder for a while, leftover from workshops long past. The set is The Gobby-O, Three Quilts, and Lass Of Killecrankie, and each are accompanied by a rather pleasing counter melody.

One of the tunes, Three Quilts, we're not at all sure the origin of. The sheet music attributes itself to Ted Morse for just that tune, but this may be for the counter melody. Many of her music sheets tend to have names that show up as alternatives when searched (eg Jumping Joan for Rogues March), but my attempts at scouring the internet haven't turned up this exact tune by another name as yet. I've also transcribed it and then searched for parts of the melody as ABC, which did yield the suggestion that it may be a take on Lannigan's Ball, as there are strong similarities in both the A and B, but also some distinct differences, such as the way each ends.

The regular melody goes like this: https://youtu.be/JLYuFrMgx7c (AABB once through)

Thoughts?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Tune Identification
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »

Well if it's not Lanigan's Ball, maybe it's his kneecap. In its notes on Lanigan's Ball, the Traditional Tune Archive (formerly the Fiddler's Companion), says

Bayard (1981) gives extensive notes on this tune, which he asserts is part of "a British traditional tune-family of widely varying developments and of probable considerable antiquity."

Read the whole thing here.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »

Well if it's not Lanigan's Ball, maybe it's his kneecap.
;D ;D ;D
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »

Well I was going to suggest contentment is wealth? A part sounded like it.
But I would trust Steve's opinion on it.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »

Possibly a misremembered Brothers in York, which is part of the family Bayard mentions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal