Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam punk  (Read 8094 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Re: Steam punk
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 04:33:55 PM »

Lyra, it's a pity your link doesn't work for us anti-social people.

;D I wouldn't call us "anti-social" ..... just preferring to meet people in the real world rather than always in the ether.  It's difficult to have a good natter over a virtual cup of tea or glass of wine/pint  :|glug  ;D there's no feedback from tone of voice or body language to aid the conversation.
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »

The only social media I'm involved in is this one.  (:)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »

Whilst I agree with Mr NCB and Ann, I have a feeling a quick natter over a cuppa with Lyra would involve a very long flight or an even longer cruise!
Social media does have it's advantages. I keep an eye on mates I only ever meet at festivals and are the other end of the country.
Q
a very infrequent facebooker, more of a lurker!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »

Whilst I agree with Mr NCB and Ann, I have a feeling a quick natter over a cuppa with Lyra would involve a very long flight or an even longer cruise!

;D now that's an idea to play with .......... a "Melnet on Tour" Cruise Liner ...... every cabin brimming with melodeons  ;D >:E
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »

I'd die happy  ;D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lyra

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »

Bloody long flight! Sorry about the pic but didn't have time to do anything clever.
Here you go

Chris73

• Dog is man's best friend
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »

Steam punk progress report available?  :M

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »

Not yet Chris, Roger T is a busy fella, so I don’t want to push him. ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »

Yes, it'll be a little while.

Chris73

• Dog is man's best friend
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »

Of course, it will be worth the wait  8)

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2017, 07:04:57 AM »

In the mean time you can check out the calliope I built. I went with air driven as steam had two volume levels ; loud and F***ING LOUD! Stem condensation means keeping the whole instrument at a temp of at least 350F if I am running off my steam car, otherwise it spits boiling water for the first bit of each note till it heats it up.  https://youtu.be/n0iK34yj-9k
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2017, 08:53:43 AM »

RICHARD! Broadland boy, you’re very quiet on this one. Maybe the Dodman could fire it.
A steam melodian?

Colin Ansell

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »

if anyone is still not sure about what Steampunk is all about then see what Sir Reginald has to say on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

Incidentally if you have a look at one of his other videos you will find out about the word 'Shibboleth' - very relevant to melodeon-speak I think!

As for his other about organs - less said the better....!

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »

Topic Drift Alert

Ah would that the Dodman boiler could Nick  :( , the demands of the single small whistle currently fitted tend to draw most of the water out of the low volume steam generator and dump it on the driver. Steam whistles, horns and sirens consume a substantial amount of steam and I expect Kymric has discovered, tend to be more tetchy to set up and tune than a similar air whistle, speed of sound, pressure and temperature variations all lead to that caliope pitch variation which always seems to be more noticeable than with air.

As an example of the demand, the French Blue Riband holding liner Normandie, which sunk at its moorings in New York at the start of WW2 ended up going through the furnaces of the Bethlehem Steelworks and one of its two sets of whistles, a 'three pot' set sy Kockums in Sweden and similar to those on the Titanic trio ended up acting as the works hooter. Some years later the steam shuttle valve jammed open and until they could isolate how to isolate it without also shutting down vital parts of the works it continued blowing! in that time they had to put another three boilers on line to make up the steam loss, steelworks run BIG boilers - it never blew there again!. A friend over in the States who is a collector of noisy things and as Chief Engineer of the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn (then still using steam power) had the magic fluid available to run them, was asked if he could repair it so it could be blown for an anniversary down on the pier, he could and did and after a lot of work by Con. Edison to lay in a steam line, some brainless insurance assessor nearly killed the project, as a result it was blown but like the Titanic whistle fiasco a few years later, sounded nothing like it should

Seen here on low pressure 'fear of window breakage' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3BJ8DsJdVE

This is one of Conrad's whistles at full chat to give a better idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkLWfkv6TR4

Sadly the annual 'seeing the new year whistle blow' came to an end 2014/15, in part pressure on the campus officials and in part Conrad's imminent retirement, it being quite likely that the steam plant would be 'retired' with him this is the last and somewhat subdued chance to experience the like, go on, its only 17 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IzyStIlGM8

There are quite a few steam Caliopes around from the riverboat or circus era but my current favourite is a recent built of something a little more vocal, mobile and with a steam supply which does not struggle as much as some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1l6dKW62_w

As for a steam melodeon, think of the rust, (or the hideous pitch changes if using 'steel bronze') plus it would take all the pleats out of the bellows and quite probably the players belly  :o Also, I can see how to let it out, but gathering it back in again through the reeds diatonic partner would fox a fettler so I have no hope!

Have you ceased being a Tasmanian Devil then Nick or are you still down there in the height of summer ??
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »

Great videos Richard, thanks. The fairground organ took me back to my classic car show days, aaaaaah.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2017, 08:52:25 PM »

...plus it would take all the pleats out of the bellows and quite probably the players belly

The old ones are the old ones...
Two old men were chatting at a ball when an old  girl streaked across the dance floor.
"Was that Lady Cynthia?  What was she wearing?"
"Damned if I know - but it needed an iron."

You just can't beat a steam iron!

Rob.

Broadland Boy

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »

And there was me trying to covertly resurrect an old rag mag joke without offending the PC generation Rob  :(

I think the inherent caliope pitch variations must be a function of using higher pressure 'fluid' as fair and other organs do not seem to suffer similarly as they run on a few inches water gauge rather than tens or hundreds of psi certainly makes them distinctive.

Next time I have one of my miniature engine boilers in steam I'll try a sacrificial PA reed to see what, if anything, it does, or does different.

Then there are the diaphone fog horns which have batteries of big air receivers to power them, they are OK but getting back to Melnet territory, an HA114G tends to make the few survivors sound a bit squeeky on almost no air at all  ;D.

Richard A

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »

And you can buy stainless steel reeds as I did for the Organette, so no rust

Broadland Boy

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2017, 12:47:27 AM »

Any idea what family stainless Nick ? so thats cured the play it once only problem, I bet the temperature changes will be an issue with the pitch stability though  ;D 

Safe landings
Richard A

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »

Safe landed indeed Richard,
I have no idea of which stainless it is, but I feel you’re right that it would play havoc with the tuning.
Maybe  the reeds could be preheated in boiling water. Methinks this is a fettlers nightmare.
I’ll boil some up and send them to Theo ...... and then probably be banned for life  :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal