Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The one that got away  (Read 4294 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
The one that got away
« on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »

Fellow melnetters, a little light discussion for a Friday evening. What's your one melodeon regret, the one that got away. The one box you've sold and regretted ever since. Mine was a Saltarelle Nuage, purchased slightly accidently from Dunny of this parish and sold on to fund the purchase of a Loffet Pro from Quazza also a resident of melnetland.  The Loffet was a lovely box but sadly we did not bond and a year or so later off it went circling round the melodeon ether again.  Nothing has ever quite replaced the Nuage for me in terms of sound or versatility vs weight and it is the only box I've regretted selling.

So fellow citizens of melnet - what's your biggest melodeon sale regret? That one box you wish you had back in your hands  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: The one that got away
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »

Serenellini 233 Deluxe in BC (it was their version of the Nuage) in Walnut, good looker, great sound ...tried to buy it back but the new owner is not as daft as me ;)

Lesson learned
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »

I can tell you about the one I regret buying ;)

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »

I can tell you about the one I regret buying ;)

SJ

Me too.

I bought a Connemara 3 which I quite liked but it was just too heavy so I sold it. 

Time passes

I bought another Connemara 3 which I quite liked but it was still just too heavy so I sold it.   :(

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »

My Oakwood Model 7 in 2004 , sold to a friend who then left it on a french train... gone forever!
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »

Ultimately, I think it was the right decision, but I sold my first Hohner Corso which, in retrospect, was an extraordinary box for its vintage. I regularly received compliments from other players.

Not on topic, but related, I had an AD pokerwork that had been lent to me for what ended up being four years. This is the instrument that I fell in love with the box playing. Everybody loved this box, its action and sound (it had been fettled at the Button Box before it came to me). Finally, after four years, the owner came looking for it and I gratefully handed it back to her. It had belonged to her husband, who had passed on before we had met. That is a box that I miss.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

mselic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »

I had in my possession, for a brief trial period, an older, handmade Sag'ne one-row, 4-stop box in the key of D. It was one of the maker's earlier boxes (possibly decades old), and it was a beautiful, compact, one-of-a-kind specimen. It had Salpa reeds and had a wonderfully soft and somewhat subdued tone, one that I have yet to hear anywhere else! I have some sound samples and pictures which I will try to upload if anyone is interested. I played it for a few weeks and ultimately decided I wanted something different, so I opted not to purchase it. This box, above all others, I would love to have in my possession today.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:53:33 PM »

I bought a Connemara 3 which I quite liked but it was just too heavy so I sold it. 

I've not sold many melodeons, but one I did have regrets about selling was also a Connemara III. Sold because too heavy, regretted because it was so versatile in sound with stops for each treble reed, the usual bass and thirds LH stops and, with G scale low notes and low accidentals, fully chromatic over three octaves. And it sounded nice too...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 12:36:02 AM »

I  have tended to buy instruments on a whim and sell them just as quick without a second thought, but the one I would like to have NOT sold was the first box I bought, it was a Black Dot deluxe that a.n.other had more need of, so off it went. I saw the box many years later, played into the ground, everything leaked, bellows made a good fist of being a cullender and trim worn away at the corners (years of playing for the morris). I often wonder if someone had it restored or did it end up at the big skipinthesky.  :|||:

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 12:52:39 AM »

More like , the none that got away. It's a sickness you see.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

AirTime

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 03:55:52 AM »

Fellow melnetters, a little light discussion for a Friday evening. What's your one melodeon regret, the one that got away. The one box you've sold and regretted ever since. Mine was a Saltarelle Nuage, purchased slightly accidently from Dunny of this parish and sold on to fund the purchase of a Loffet Pro from Quazza also a resident of melnetland.  The Loffet was a lovely box but sadly we did not bond and a year or so later off it went circling round the melodeon ether again.  Nothing has ever quite replaced the Nuage for me in terms of sound or versatility vs weight and it is the only box I've regretted selling.

Just wait for it to cycle through back to you.  I have come to the conclusion, shared by M. Bellinger of this parish, that there are only 5 buyers of melodeons in NA. The boxes over here just go round ... & around.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »

So fellow citizens of melnet - what's your biggest melodeon sale regret? That one box you wish you had back in your hands  :|||:

My first 'proper' melodeon - a D/G Hohner Black Erica, bought new around 1983, and probably one of the last of German-built instruments. I eventually decided that I couldn't bear the wet and strident factory tuning, which was going even more out of tune by 1991, when I sold it in part-exchange for a Saltarelle Berry. If I'd known then that the tuning could have been adjusted, I would have kept the Erica, as it was still in excellent condition.

However, thanks to the buy-and-sell section of this forum, I now have a replacement Black Erica from the same era in nearly as good condition, and on which I have done the usual modifications - fitting a wooden keyboard, limiting the button travel and re-tuning to proper Viennese 'Dedic' tuning. It sounds and looks great. It's now proudly on view in the banner header here. As you can see, the other unusual thing about this melodeon is that it has really long and partly transparent bellows (never come across that before).  ;D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »

Around 2000 I owned a pair of pre-Pokerworks, one black, one white, both with painted-on alpine flowers. One was D/G, the other C/F.  I loved both despite their extremely noisy actions, but after I had used the black D/G in recording a CD, realised how awful it sounded. At the the time I hadn't encountered Theo or anyone who could improve the action, so I sold both boxes. Sad, though it was the beginning of my longstanding love of Club2/Erikas. But I've just acquired another black one from Theo (in F/Bb) which sounds great, so I have some consolation.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

911377brian

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »

Bought one of Kay Albrecht's first one rows, sold it to Sir John of this parish (why?) after about a year and missed it badly, not sure why as it didn't get a lot of playing. Sir John sold it on and I bought it from the new owner. Still doesn't get a lot of playing but I'm really glad it's back.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »

Just wait for it to cycle through back to you.  I have come to the conclusion, shared by M. Bellinger of this parish, that there are only 5 buyers of melodeons in NA. The boxes over here just go round ... & around.

Goodness!  Is this some New World effect?  Here in England they go in and out, it’s CDs and vinyl that go round & round.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 08:41:02 PM »

I actually regret selling that Loffet - It's my goal to track it down one day! I think if I had of spent a little money on it, it would've been gorgeous.

Steve Coombes

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »

Regret letting go a Dino Red Pearl II, light, compact with flowery bellows and a v.Soprani with a coupler to bring in a low reed it was the first box I owned, bought second hand. Regret getting a two voice Black Diamond, I thought it would make a good box to take on tour to foreign parst but it was gust to big for me to find comfortable.
Tommy D/G

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:02 AM »

I bought my first melodeon in 1969. It was a three voice one row in G, from the well known "Made in Germany" firm of Generic Klingenthal. It was probably the only melodeon sold in York that year and I took it to Cleethorpes Folk Festival in May. It didn't really catch on with me, but was stored in the loft after I got married in 1971 and stayed there until just before I got seriously interested in squeeze boxes, when it mysteriously disappeared. I remember lending it to my nephews, but they swear they let me have it back! Curiouser and curiouser ...
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »

Regret letting go a Dino Red Pearl II

I'm with you on that, Steve. An earlier model, probably the best playing 2 row 2 voice I ever owned, though I can't recall who I bought it from. Might even have been yours.....  I still see it from time to time, being played by a well known and excellent player in Oz.  (Hope you're looking after it, Ray.... )

I sold it when I acquired a later model Black Pearl; still a fine instrument, but nothing like as well made and easy to play as the red, and had no regrets about parting with that one.

(Photo removed)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:33:13 PM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »

I actually regret selling that Loffet - It's my goal to track it down one day! I think if I had of spent a little money on it, it would've been gorgeous.

It's currently in San Francisco BTW.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal