Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner HA114 teaser pic.  (Read 2575 times)

gettabettabox

Re: Hohner HA114 teaser pic.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

Ok thanks, I think I see what you saying now. So the mechanism bottoms out or stops when you press the button? and not the lever striking against the piece of wood. I guess you will have to adjust button height and pallet position?

Yes, both. Which is why the job is best done when refacing pallets.

Think I'll stick with the tried and tested 5mm felt under the keys within the housing.
Old dogs, new tricks etc.....

(Glad you didn't mislay the keyboard!)

Yes, good enough, but have to remove the felt if taking finger board off again? Or remove the buttons?!

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »

Think I'll stick with the tried and tested 5mm felt under the keys within the housing.
Old dogs, new tricks etc.....

Yes, good enough, but have to remove the felt if taking finger board off again? Or remove the buttons?!

True, but how often would you be likely to want to remove the finger board? Probably only if a spring breaks, but hopefully that won't happen with any regularity.

If it should be necessary to remove an underfelted fingerboard, I've found the best method is to release the 4 tiny key frame screws so that the entire mechanism comes away along with the fingerboard. Then there should be sufficient clearance then for angling the keys to extract the mechanism from the fingerboard without having to remove the felt. (I certainly would not recommend removing the buttons!)

I use a fairly stiff felt, cut to a snug fit, so only a small amount of glue is needed to keep it in place, which can easily be cut through with a blade anyway should removal be necessary.

Please understand that I'm not claiming that "my way" is better; your idea certainly has merit, and kudos for thinking outside of the box. It's just that after 35+ years of successfully doing it that way, I can't see me changing this particular job at such a late stage in my box-fixing career. However, there have been a number of "improvements" described on this site which I have adopted, so my mind isn't totally closed to new methods....   ;D

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:51:27 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

gettabettabox

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »

Thanks Malcolm.
I didn't wish to imply this method was the way to go, just an alternative. Every respect to your 'box-fixing' experience.
I only mess about with boxes for personal use...and I mess about with them a bit too much!
I've used felt (or a compressed rubber) before, but a replacement single row finger board from "acorn
Instruments" would be very welcome.
Cheers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal