Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Total beginner....help please!  (Read 23887 times)

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
Total beginner....help please!
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

After 67 years, (and having read the subject to death), I have taken the plunge and purchased a two row, 8 bass Scarlatti D/G from Hobgoblin. I know NOTHING about reading music etc. and the whole subject is a bit of a mystery to me. However, I have seen various tutorials on You Tube which I think I might be able to master. I would like to learn in a structured fashion, so is it better to just purchase Malleys book and try and follow it, or find a tutorial on You Tube. Any recommendations welcome, as my small brain is starting to turn to mush trying to work out the easiest / best method of structured learning. My wife is in the same boat trying to learn the clarinet, and ideally, we would like to learn something dead simple that we can play together!.At this stage I would be ecstatic if I could play ANYTHING!.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:20:21 PM by Simon Cragg »

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Total beginner....help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »

Two great learning resources I thoroughly recommend - the first is Ed Rennie's excellent melodeon tutor book which includes both a CD of the tunes and lessons but also a DVD which shows in split-screen exactly what both hands are doing. The second is Skype lessons with Mel Biggs

Ed's book doesn't  require you to read music - although by the end of it you just might be able to. That was certainly my experience when I began with the book.  Similarly Mel is an expert and patient teacher who is used to helping nervous beginners.

Whatever path you choose, welcome to the wonderful world of melodeons  :||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

Where are you based? There are quite a number of slow and steady sessions where I'm sure you would both be welcome and get loads of help/advice.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »

Is your wife at the same stage with the clarinet? I might be able to help a little, depending where you are. I can at least recommend some clarinet friendly tunes that you could learn together once I have an idea of how far she is progressing.
You should know that you won't be able to play from the same piece of paper if playing from music - the clarinet sounds a tone out - so she'll need a part one note higher than you will (assuming you're both using music).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »

Also try Les Titford who posts here as Daddy Long Les and has a huge YouTube channel with very approachable melodeon lessons (other instruments too) starting HERE and there are many more to follow.

Les is a professional teacher and he posted videos while he was learning the instrument, but seems to have a great knack for passing everything on as he learns it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »

Wow, thx for all the info. We are based near Wareham Dorset, my wife is at the same stage as me.......... "clueless" probably sums us up best!. The Tutor book looks ideal especially the DVD etc. I have already saved some of Daddy Long Les's videos, but as there are so many of them, not really sure where to start!.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:47:07 PM »

Hi Simon,
I'm just up the road in Poole. There are several good players in the area, but none as far as I am aware that presently teach. Similarly, the area is a bit light for slow music sessions. There is a music session in the Station Hotel in Branksome which may be worth a visit, it is however nearly all Morris musicians and the variety might be limited  ;D. You won't be able to play anything at first (!) but it might introduce you to some other musicians in the area.

If you'd like to send me a personal message (PM) or email with contact info maybe we could get together one evening. But I don't do clarinet...
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »

The keys you can play on a D/G melodeon are not the easiest on a B flat clarinet, and the easy clarinet keys are impossible on the melodeon.  You've got a problem starting at the same level.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »

If you're free next weekend (Saturday 14 October), why not come along to Winster for the Derbyshire Playgroup. It's designed for beginners like yourself. It's informal, low pressure and cheap - we just share costs at approximately £15. You would be with Mel Biggs all day - Lester mentioned her and she is really good.
If you can't make it, look out notices about Evesham Playgroup which they normally hold in the New Year.

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »

Many thx, but a bit to far at the moment. Maybe have to rethink playing a duet with the wife! Sure we will find a way round it, Just desperate to get on with it, having waited 67 years!.

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »

Many thx, but a bit to far at the moment. Maybe have to rethink playing a duet with the wife! Sure we will find a way round it, Just desperate to get on with it, having waited 67 years!.

Can't say much about the D/G having gone B/C route myself, but sounds like a good excuse reason for investing in a Bb harmonica - gradually followed by several other keys. That is if you don't have them already.

playandteach

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »

There are several long term solutions to the duet issue (including a CF box for you, or a C clarinet or A clarinet for your wife), but the most obvious solution is to have a real duet where the clarinet part is a harmony line which can be specifically created to avoid awkward writing.
There are many questions you will face here, and the most immediate one is probably what tunes do you want to learn or what style of music do you want to play?
Actually you will find that any skills you pick up transfer exactly to other keys of melodeons.

If I were in your position, I'd just get learning. Find a couple of tunes to learn, then let me know, and I'll jot down a clarinet part to fit (I used to play the clarinet). Good luck.

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 03:46:31 AM »

Hello Simon,
It's never too late to start playing, learning and having fun!  I would also highly recommend Les Titford "Daddy Long Les" as a great place to start. His lessons are outstanding, slow, thorough and very easy to follow. He'll teach you a tune bar by bar, which buttons to push (bellows pushing or pulling) and will provide you with the music with the buttons numbered and which fingers to use. I bet if you contact him, he can recommend some easy tunes to start. His price is more than fair and you don't have to travel--everything is online. Check him out!
Wally from Minnesota

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:11 AM »

which fingers to use.

Don't forget there is no "standard" fingering for a melodeon in the way that there is for orchestral instruments.  It would be more accurate to say "which fingers he uses".  Some players, for instance (probably most, I'd think), use four fingers of the right hand, others only three, ans a few press the thumb into service as well. There's more than one way to skin a rabbit.....

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

playandteach

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »

True, Graham, but if Simon is like me he may want to learn the first few tunes without having to make choices. He's got his box already, avoiding one big choice dilemma. He's found a great forum and had sound advice about teachers.  I  wouldn't be surprised if he wants to put those sorts of choices in the hands of Mel or Les for a while.
I was trying to learn Salmon Tails over the weekend and was really hindered by choice.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »

is it better to just purchase Malleys book and try and follow it, or find a tutorial on You Tube.

Mally's book is ok, by the way. It helped get me started, but the thing that helped most was a few one to  one lessons with someone who knew what they were doing. They got me set up and making music in no time flat. Before that I was getting nowhere.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »

There are several long term solutions to the duet issue (including a CF box for you, or a C clarinet or A clarinet for your wife), but the most obvious solution is to have a real duet where the clarinet part is a harmony line which can be specifically created to avoid awkward writing.
There are many questions you will face here, and the most immediate one is probably what tunes do you want to learn or what style of music do you want to play?
Actually you will find that any skills you pick up transfer exactly to other keys of melodeons.

If I were in your position, I'd just get learning. Find a couple of tunes to learn, then let me know, and I'll jot down a clarinet part to fit (I used to play the clarinet). Good luck.

Great. Thanks to all for all the advice. Fantastic.
We have put the duet on hold.....probably a good idea, just going to try and learn to play something in the first instance.
Out of the plethora of books, George Garsides (if I can find it), looks favourite and some some videos / help from Les.
Somebody local to me has volunteered to help as well, so am trying to arrange a meeting.
What a brilliant forum, things are still muddy but less so!.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:48:57 AM by Simon Cragg »

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »

Two great learning resources I thoroughly recommend - the first is Ed Rennie's excellent melodeon tutor book which includes both a CD of the tunes and lessons but also a DVD which shows in split-screen exactly what both hands are doing. The second is Skype lessons with Mel Biggs

Ed's book doesn't  require you to read music - although by the end of it you just might be able to. That was certainly my experience when I began with the book.  Similarly Mel is an expert and patient teacher who is used to helping nervous beginners.

Whatever path you choose, welcome to the wonderful world of melodeons  :||:
What Helena said - I struggled with the Mally book but it was Ed's book and the marvellous Mel that opened many doors for me.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

george garside

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

Great. Thanks to all for all the advice. Fantastic.
We have put the duet on hold.....probably a good idea, just going to try and learn to play something in the first instance.
Out of the plethora of books, George Garsides (if I can find it), looks favourite and some some videos / help from Les.
Somebody local to me has volunteered to help as well, so am trying to arrange a meeting.
What a brilliant forum, things are still muddy but less so!.

my book will come up as second item if you enter 'melodeon book'  on ebay!

g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »

Once you know where the starting note of your instrument is placed - usually the 3rd button up from the chin end pushed - try tunes you really know well by ear up and down each row eg Christmas carols are usually quite simple or even nursery rhymes - Grand Old Duke of York etc.  May seem a bit naff, but you'll get the feel of playing the instrument and don't forget that the air-button isn't just to open the thing at the start - it helps to balance the bellows so you don't run out of air as you play - keep your thumb on it and snatch air or reduce bellows width as you play, it will be an invaluable habit as progress.  Finally, only play for as long as you're enjoying the activity, that way you'll love the practice and have fun. Welcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal