Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Total beginner....help please!  (Read 23868 times)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Re: Total beginner....help please!
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »

Thanks for your concern, but you really do not want to see me in my PJ's at 6 in the morning!

I think playing the melodeon in your nightclothes is tempting fate.  A tee shirt and jeans are not that hard to wear, and could prevent a nasty accident.  😳
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »

Don't think I've got anything to worry about at that time in the morning! :|||: :|||: :|||:

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »

I'm usually up and about by that time, but not playing the melodeon! And as my nightwear consists of  - well. nothing, I don't think I'll be recording any early morning videos...........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2017, 07:01:27 PM »

My neighbours annoyed me at 4 o'clock this morning by banging loudly on my door. Fortunately I was already up as I'd been practising the melodeon for an hour.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »

I'm usually up and about by that time, but not playing the melodeon! And as my nightwear consists of  - well. nothing, I don't think I'll be recording any early morning videos...........

other than recording probably no problem playing a melodeon  in the buff  but 120 bass accordion would  act as a superb nut cracker!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Lyra

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

unless you have lady parts  :|||:

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »

Marginal progress tonight. Just about learnt first line of "Oh dear what can the matter be".
However, I just cannot get comfortable with the straps. Tried every position known to man, and have resorted to two lengths of cord, but still uncomfortable. The straps it came with are very short and made of porridge. Anybody help please?.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »

I am probably going at it like a bull in a china shop. Even though I have only got as far as practicing scales in D/G my right thumb is killing me. Maybe I have repetitive button strain. Can't even play up and down without either holding down two buttons at once, or keeping the air release button held. What a plonker. Oh, and the straps it came with are rubbish, so have had to tie knots in them. More fun tonight!.
I had the thumb aches at first, I didn't change positions it just went away. Most likely beginner tension.
And like anything you do that you haven't done before or in awhile, I work with my hands every day and they are tough but I still get a callous or two when raking leaves (:) no pain no gain
I'm sure I'll get called out for that.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »

Marginal progress tonight. Just about learnt first line of "Oh dear what can the matter be".
However, I just cannot get comfortable with the straps. Tried every position known to man, and have resorted to two lengths of cord, but still uncomfortable. The straps it came with are very short and made of porridge. Anybody help please?.

I had a problem like this when I started. It took a few of lessons with a good teacher to get me started properly. Most of the first was spent getting everything set up comfortably. Well worth if, if you can manage it. Sounds like it might be worth your while investing in new straps, as well. You seem to be putting a lot of effort into fighting your setup.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »

Think I might have cracked it. Found two really good padded camera straps. and with a bit of fiddling they feel a lot better. I have read that it does take ages to get everything set up right. Anyway, spent way to long tonight (2.5 hrs)practising, and I am getting a bit of minor whinging from 'er indoors. Orf to dream of all things Melodeon.

penn

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

However, I just cannot get comfortable with the straps....
Yes I had this problem too. I spent the first weeks adjusting the length, then I bought a couple of different sets and ended up with two quite heavily padded ones. But to be honest I don't think they helped that much, I just grew out of it. i have a tendency to attack every instrument I've ever played - I know it's not necessary and it wears me out, but I can't seem to help doing it. I think the melodeon can be quite physical, so maybe I've now trained my muscles to cope with it. George's "put it down for a bit" works very well for me, and it also helps me progress with tunes - there's something about mulling it over that settles the tune into my brain.
Steve

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »

You will quickly find that most people here recommend a guy called Charlie Marshall for supplies. You can buy straps cheaper elsewhere, but he will sell you the right ones if  you email him your instrument and your body build! He gets things sent out before you can believe, and it's worth dealing with him. Straps matter for me a lot.
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Welcome.html
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »

Depending on your build, you may find that a back strap helps to stop the main straps separating and falling off.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »

Depending on your build, you may find that a back strap helps to stop the main straps separating and falling off.
I still can’t quiet grasp who ties the back strap when playing live and you need to switch accordions fast? Perhaps you take off the melodeon rather? And yes the separating of straps is quiet annoying..

I can’t easily remove my straps from the melodeon that’s why I probably over estimate this procedure.
Not trying to deviate from the original post but it is a newbie question.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »

I connect the backstrap then put the straps over my head. It depends where you have the backstrap, my partner muso wears one fairly low and can reach behind. I wear it quite high and can't reach so have to position it first.

Don't usually wear it at home.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »

OOps!
First problem with the magic squeeze box.
One of the buttons (3G) sporadically sticks in.
This of course is mucking up my otherwise perfect practice sessions.
Before I start taking it all apart and spraying the guts with WD40 .......advice from you experts please?.
......and my thumb still hurts!.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »

OOps!
Before I start taking it all apart and spraying the guts with WD40 .......advice from you experts please?.
......and my thumb still hurts!.
I'm sure good advice will be along shortly, but I hope you're joking about the WD40. No no no no no...!
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »

No oil, grease, WD40 or any other liquid lubricant.

First step is to identify which part of the mechanism is the problem. Then fix as appropriate.

There are several possibilities:  Button catching on edge of keyboard, weak or broken spring, something stuck under the pallet, stiffness at the hinge where the lever is located.    This last one is more common where the keyboard is entirely made of wood.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »

You've only just bought it. I'd get in touch with Hobgoblin piss quick.
Greg Smith

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

You've only just bought it. I'd get in touch with Hobgoblin piss quick.

Oh yes, if its newly bought get on the phone to the shop without delay.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal