Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner with Harmonikas TAM reeds  (Read 3724 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Hohner with Harmonikas TAM reeds
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:05:36 AM »

Instead of converting the old CF reeds to DG, here I fitted a new set of Harmonikas TAM (class2) reeds, with a few mods to the reed blocks. I'll certainly be using these reeds again. And it's tempting also to try the next level of TAM reeds (they have three), though I'd need to find a suitable vehicle. If I still had my Dino Carnival that would have been ideal, as its reeds were good but to be honest, could have been better. At some point I'll do similar with the Dural set I also bought, when I've identified a box, and report back.
https://youtu.be/HKRGP3Fe3Bg

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Hohner with Harmonikas TAM reeds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »

Sounds grand, clear and sharp sound. No not #

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

Are you going to offer this as a service and whats the costings? Is it only the club 1. What incidentals? did you use as am I right the two spares are linked to the bottom end.
regards
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »

I can spell serendipity but on checkin my summary I found I have this on its way.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Rog

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:25:28 AM »

Are you going to offer this as a service and whats the costings? Is it only the club 1. What incidentals? did you use as am I right the two spares are linked to the bottom end.
regards
If you PM. with requirements I'll try and answer your question.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »

I have an old pokerwork with a set of top class TAM reeds from Harmonikas in it (F/Bb) and it sounds/plays incredible.  They really suit the box.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Rog

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

I have an old pokerwork with a set of top class TAM reeds from Harmonikas in it (F/Bb) and it sounds/plays incredible.  They really suit the box.
Ah, interesting. Yes I have a couple of Pokerworks I could use as a platform. Also an Erica and a presswood.
...and what was the first box you were playing on Friday in Whitchurch?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 04:23:31 PM »

Any chance of a side by side comparison - straight pokerwork v. Harmonika'd pokerwork?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »

You really mean a whole tone below G/C? I can imagine that could sound great, but I've never seen an F/Bb box before...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

invadm

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »

[/quote]
You really mean a whole tone below G/C? I can imagine that could sound great, but I've never seen an F/Bb box before...
[/quote]
there you go, you have now.
some time ego I've asked regarding harmonika reeds did not get enough info..sounds like upper-end reeds are OK to use I guess  (:) 

squeezy

• www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:22 PM »

I think the first box I played at Whitchurch was my D/G Eric Martin 3 voice.

And yes Ian, F/Bb is a tone below G/C and is pretty glorious.  It's a complete botch job with the pokerwork I'm afraid, forcing massive reeds to fit blocks designed for D/G reeds ... but all said and done it sounds absolutely magnificent.  I don't actually have a regular pokerwork that hasn't been mucked about with to compare it with but I might be able to get a video of the F/Bb box up at some point.
Squeezy

Rog

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:10:30 AM »

[/quote]
there you go, you have now.
some time ego I've asked regarding harmonika reeds did not get enough info..sounds like upper-end reeds are OK to use I guess  (:)
[/quote]

The TAM reeds I put in the Modell I are in fact one grade up from their 'dural' reeds, and they are really very good. There are two higher grades of TAM, where the prices increases (by Something in the order of 40%) for each jump in quality. So I wouldn't describe these as 'upper end' reeds, relative to the Harmonikas range. But that doesn't mean they are inferior. The Dural reeds are pretty good too, apparently. They certainly look better quality than standard Hohner reeds and they are cheaper.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »

....The TAM reeds I put in the Modell I are in fact one grade up from their 'dural' reeds, and they are really very good. There are two higher grades of TAM, where the prices increases (by Something in the order of 40%) for each jump in quality. So I wouldn't describe these as 'upper end' reeds, relative to the Harmonikas range. But that doesn't mean they are inferior. The Dural reeds are pretty good too, apparently. They certainly look better quality than standard Hohner reeds and they are cheaper.

I've probably mentioned this before:
A few years ago I bought a restored and de-clubbed 1930s C/F Hohner Club I from Rees (of this parish) which had been fitted with new Cagnoni dural factory-grade reeds. The sound and response were very good indeed and, amazingly, almost indistinguishable from Hohner steel reeds on zinc plates. It sounded like a vintage Hohner and not an Italian box. Whatever it is that makes the 'Hohner sound', the reeds are possibly only a small part of it. The rest must be down to construction design and materials.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »

Roger,
Do you get the reeds direct from Harmonikas? if so do you have to email them for a quote, as I can't see a price-list on their website?

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »

Contact details are at the bottom left of the homepage, email queries are answered pretty quick.

M.

squeezy

• www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »

They don't publish a price list on the web - but will send you a current one if you ask along with more details about the reeds.  I've never dealt with another reed supplier as easily as I've dealt with Harmonikas.
Squeezy

Rog

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 10:21:35 AM »

Roger,
Do you get the reeds direct from Harmonikas? if so do you have to email them for a quote, as I can't see a price-list on their website?

As per Squeezy's response. I worked up a detailed specification for reed sets (i needed slightly different content) and they sent me a price. I managed to get ball-park figures based on their price list, but you have to factor in delivery, tax etc so it's best to get a quote.

blafleur

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »

I've never dealt with another reed supplier as easily as I've dealt with Harmonikas.

I second that.  I've used their Dix reeds, and most recently their A Mano Professional.  Love the sound of both, and they are absolutely great to deal with.  Orders so far have been problem free and very timely.  Have been happy with their bellows, also.

invadm

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »

The TAM reeds I put in the Modell I are in fact one grade up from their 'dural' reeds, and they are really very good. There are two higher grades of TAM, where the prices increases (by Something in the order of 40%) for each jump in quality. So I wouldn't describe these as 'upper end' reeds, relative to the Harmonikas range. But that doesn't mean they are inferior. The Dural reeds are pretty good too, apparently. They certainly look better quality than standard Hohner reeds and they are cheaper.
I know Andreas is selling  a whole set of dural reeds for £130 in different keys but never used it my self or had a chance to play one fitted,I have a few extra Hohner boxes and kept wondering; what if I use different reeds  ??? after your post and and Steve's comment on cognoni reeds fitted to Hohner I might go for TAM reeds and see how it goes.
I assume the new reeds will be longer/bigger than Hohner reeds, how easy / difficult to adjust the honer blocks if it's not too much to ask any chance of a internal photo of the reed blocks please RogerT ? (:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »

I assume the new reeds will be longer/bigger than Hohner reeds, how easy / difficult to adjust the Hohner blocks...

For a different project, I ordered some Cagnoni dural reeds from Charlie Marshall. He asked me what length reed plates I wanted and he was able to supply me mostly with the required lengths to fit the reed blocks.

If there is any length mis-match or unavailability, I would say that it is better to order reed plates slightly shorter than the reed chamber length, rather than longer; the rationale being that it is easier to fill in a small gap at the end of the reed chamber with a sliver of wood glued or waxed in place, rather than have to file or grind away some of the reed plate.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal