Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about B/C vs C#/D  (Read 3865 times)

triskel

Re: Question about B/C vs C#/D
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:17 PM »

Jimmy Shand  made some recordings  of slow airs  using a hohner Erica CC# box  fettled  by Jimmy Jnr with Italian reeds and morino pallets

george

It's in C#/D George...

Jimmy Shand - Melodeon Solo

triskel

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 11:48:44 PM »

I started on B/C and then switched to C#/D after around a year.

Just a thought but, I've met a good few players who switched from B/C to C#/D, but not one who went the other way...

Damien Mullane told me he started on C#D then went over to BC and yes he is playing CC# a lot of the time now. All the Best mory

I'll have to meet him then Mory...

(But his successor in DeDanann, Barry Brady, is one of those I know who converted from B/C to C#/D.)

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:30 PM »

I love the squeeze goddess enthusiastic video!

And the nuns saying you rock girl 🎵💪🏾🎵🎶 :|||:
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, SabĂ­an, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »

(Quote from Stiamh)
"I could also point out that, to a total beginner, bellows changes might appear to be something that it is advantageous to avoid. But of course they are actually the soul of the instrument, and as you develop good technique changing the bellows direction is hardly more difficult than changing from breathing in to breathing out through your nose! Having to cover more ground on the keyboard poses at least as great a challenge as dealing with multiple bellows changes, and in fact more IMO."

This has been my experience, I totally agree.
Then again I started on a one row where bellow changes are a must, but have always found triplets with a bellows change are easier,  than three buttons on the push or pull. Probably different stokes for different folks.

Jimmy Shand  made some recordings  of slow airs  using a hohner Erica CC# box  fettled  by Jimmy Jnr with Italian reeds and morino pallets

george

It's in C#/D George...

Jimmy Shand - Melodeon Solo

Nice video! My wife always wants me to play slow airs or waltzes instead of the fast stuff.
There more melodic she says.

C#/D
So technically not a melodeon ;)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

richard.fleming

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

There's a fashion element here too of course. Years ago in many Irish circles a four voice with about 9 couplers was the thing to have, tuned pretty wet, it seemed to me, whereas now a straight 3-voice MMM  no couplers  seems to be the most valued model, and this change is linked I think to the move to C#D, and to drier tunings.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Joel Summers

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments!  Being from Chicago, and having John Williams so close, I decided to go with a B/C.  Wish me luck! 

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »

There's a fashion element here too of course. Years ago in many Irish circles a four voice with about 9 couplers was the thing to have, tuned pretty wet, it seemed to me, whereas now a straight 3-voice MMM  no couplers  seems to be the most valued model, and this change is linked I think to the move to C#D, and to drier tunings.

Spot on there Richard. I blame Jackie Daly  ;D
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Melodeonkid

• New Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

I have played a D/G melodeon for well over 30 years, but took up a B/C box to try play some Irish music and smoother melodies. A D/G is great for morris music as you have the gap between push/pull but a bit of a nightmare to play long hornpipe triplet runs smoothly. A B/C box has much more difficult fingering (unless you play everything in C). The D/C# box allows easier (if not smoother) playing in D but playing in G across the rows is much more difficult. The secret is to listen to YouTube videos of D/C# players and also B/C players and the ornamentation that they produce. Personally, I like the sound of the B/C players; but it is purely a matter of taste.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal