Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Griogal Chridhe  (Read 1572 times)

HallelujahAl

Griogal Chridhe
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »

Have just stumbled across the tune Griogal Chridhe . It's in Bb and looks like it might be a slow air or something like that - can anyone help? I was wondering how it should be played?
AL

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Griogal Chridhe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »

Well it's a song, Al... used to do it in a band I was in that had a singer who did almost nothing that wasn't in Scots Gaelic. A lament, anyway. The Gregor in question was a historical figure and the story has it that the song was composed by his widow after he was slain in battle. Now, was he one of the Maccrimmons? Can't remember. I can send you a clip of an old recording of us doing it if you promise not to share it with anybody else  ;D

OK so he was a MacGregor and he had his head cut off. Edited to add this link: http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=712
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:47:59 AM by Steve Jones »

HallelujahAl

Re: Griogal Chridhe
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »

[Well it's a song, Al... used to do it in a band I was in that had a singer who did almost nothing that wasn't in Scots Gaelic. A lament, anyway. The Gregor in question was a historical figure and the story has it that the song was composed by his widow after he was slain in battle. Now, was he one of the Maccrimmons? Can't remember. I can send you a clip of an old recording of us doing it if you promise not to share it with anybody else  /quote]

That'd be great! Promise, promise, promise (:)
AL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal