Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: History of Saltarelle?  (Read 41476 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: History of Saltarelle?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »

Does anyone else have a Piroulet (especially D/G), or know anything about their history? Mine seems to exist in isolation.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »

I'd really love to get my paws on another Pastourelle 2, just like my old Serenellini one, bought from Rees thirty or so years ago. It's getting a bit cranky and creaky -now I wonder if Serenellini have kept the design specs !
The only change I'd make would be five rather than the four extra buttons I have.
I've tried one or two of the recent Saltarelle Pastourelles and suffice it to say   
one wouldn't be on my Christmas list. But as has been pointed out - they do vary.

J

That'll be the same as mine, I guess, Julian - 4 buttons on the "half" row,and pre-butterfly, like Baz's sadly missed Berry. Mine's a bit battle-scarred and on its second bellows, but I wouldn't part with it for anything. It still gets played regularly at the Paphos folk club and my acoustic music sessions near Limassol, as well as occasional gigs with a Celtic-inclined band, in preference to the dozen or so Hohners cluttering up the house.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »

I still have a 4 stop in D (model called Cajun, I think..mine has metal stops. but I have seen them with plastic ends.). It's fast, loud and has served me well for 25 years

I would love to hear this! Any sound or video clips?

Can't remember...I'll put something up if not..

Here she is..
https://youtu.be/_6fx7ttofdg
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:38:20 PM by baz parkes »
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »

...there's often a lot of disdain spoken about them but when you start to check it out it often comes with little back up. I have three eras of Saltarelle and have had one other 2 row and the one row as well, they have all been and are great boxes.

Totally agree with this and it's my experience too.

I did wonder whether Serenelllini were involved with the newer models as the casings of these two look very similar to me.

Dave

DaveD

• Good talker
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

Hi
Last year I ordered from Saltarelle, via a reputable UK dealer, an Inferno D/G 19+2,  3 voice with G scale layout (specification using an amended template with kind permission from Steve_Freereeder).
Box arrived within the due delivery date in February, played and sounded great apart from one note sounding intermittently between 3 and 2 voice. On closer inspection I found a couple of reed valves had come adrift. To avoid the hassle of sending it back etc  I took it to one of our known reputable fettlers, had the reed valves reattached and also Viennese/Dedic tuned. It now sounds wonderful, responsive and loud when required, but it does seem, as has been previously stated, consistency and quality control does vary.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:30:13 AM by DaveD »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »

............ and that is exactly why I gave up dealing with Saltarelle long ago.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Graham Spencer

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

I'm beginning to think I must have been very lucky with mine. It had a few tuning issues when it was new,but a quick trip to see Nils sorted that out, and since then it's been as reliable as I could wish. It's even survived a three-foot fall on to a tiled floor with nothing more than a corner joint needing regluing. Maybe they were better in the old days......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Danielle M

• Saltarelle "Parisien" - Hohner Valpareso
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »

Any idea about when Saltarelle started having the boxes made by others ?
I have just purchased one which is 7 years so would be curious to know if I have a "real" one or not.

I am rather pleased with it but not in a position to really judge if it is good or not as I am a beginner but I like the sound of it very much.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »

Any idea about when Saltarelle started having the boxes made by others ?
I have just purchased one which is 7 years so would be curious to know if I have a "real" one or not.

I am rather pleased with it but not in a position to really judge if it is good or not as I am a beginner but I like the sound of it very much.
Read the previous posts on this thread. Saltarelle have never made their own instruments but always contracted them out to other manufacturers.

If you have a Saltarelle and you like it, then that's fine.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »

Agreed, there are lots of lovely Saltarelle boxes out there  :|||: :M
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Graham Spencer

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »

Agreed, there are lots of lovely Saltarelle boxes out there  :|||: :M

Yes - mine's a little beauty - you'd have to  wrestle it from my cold dead hands..........

mory

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »

Why is it the same couple of negative opinions always appear in these long winded rants. We know that having an opinion and expressing it is everyone's prerogative, we know one or two don't like them, we've heard it over and again. Why not complain to them direct I'm sure they'd love to be informed how they should conduct their business and what thoughts there might be on how to improve things. Lots of people have them, play them, love them even, can't be bad, maybe the Roux family should go into it full time. All the Best mory :||:

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »

I guess it is the same as which glue to use to glue palette felt on with. Every so often someone comes along with a desire to know something that's already been discussed heavily. For me, I don't mind. Otherwise this would just become a Wikimelodeon site of frozen information. I can see that you think it's unfair for a company to be given bad press, but those owners who love their boxes are also coming online.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

mory

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »

I'm being subtle

:-X

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

...I like the sound of it very much.

I love the Salterelle sound.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »

Agreed, there are lots of lovely Saltarelle yboxes out there  :|||: :M

Yes - mine's a little beauty - you'd have to  wrestle it from my cold dead hands..........

Ditto. Now wondering who I can bequeath mine to as it would be a shame for it to go in the coffin !  >:E
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 10:49:39 PM »

This is an honest question - no hint of a slight.

If Saltarelles are made by different makers over a period of time, how do they have a 'Saltarelle sound'? I say this as someone who was in an orchestra that was heralded for its sound, despite a changing personnel. I've had this broom 20 years, it's had 3 new heads and 4 new handles.
What is the Saltarelle sound (assuming we can define a Hohner or Castagnari sound)? How is it maintained over an ever changing construction?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 02:24:29 AM »

This is an honest question - no hint of a slight.

If Saltarelles are made by different makers over a period of time, how do they have a 'Saltarelle sound'? I say this as someone who was in an orchestra that was heralded for its sound, despite a changing personnel. I've had this broom 20 years, it's had 3 new heads and 4 new handles.
What is the Saltarelle sound (assuming we can define a Hohner or Castagnari sound)? How is it maintained over an ever changing construction?

In my opinion, the 'Saltarelle sound' is something of a fallacy. When you listen to some of the early instruments (e.g. I've previously mentioned Brian Peters' sweet-sounding Connemara III) they sound quite different to some of the more recent instruments that, in the worst cases, people have described as 'dogs'. Please note my italicising of 'some'. Also, you have to remember that the sound of any melodeon is heavily dependent on how the reeds are set up and tuned, especially the degree of tremolo.

If there is any consistency in a 'Saltarelle sound' it is perhaps in the basses/chords which (to me) tend to have a mellow richness, compared with say, the more direct, focussed, sound of Castaganari basses/chords. All these adjectives are, of course, rather subjective; you need to actually hear the instruments being played in the same location and under the same conditions in order to properly compare them.

If you go on to the Saltarelle website, there are many videos available of the different models which will give you a flavour of what they sound like. Bear in mind that the instruments featured will probably have been optimally set up and tuned.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

mory

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »

Go on you tube you can decide for yourself   ;) suggest headphones though for a better idea AtB mory

Chris Brimley

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »

I have two Saltarelle Tramontanes, though they have very (usefully) different sounds (one is bright, strong, and punchy for dancing, the other soft, mellow and subtle for listening to) - one I've had for about 30 years, the other about 15.  I am not aware of anyone else who has made a 14 bass model, apart from those who've been on Emmanuel's course, and I bought them both because of these basses.  Theo tunes them every few years, and the older one began to suffer a bit once from worn linkage joints, which Theo fixed.  I've managed to wear down the thumb-rest wood quite a lot over the years, and some buttons once became loose and a few bass bushes needed replacement.  But otherwise, virtually nothing has ever gone wrong with them - they are still both as sweet-sounding, reliable, and easy to play as they were the day they first came out of the box.  I have lots of different musical instruments, some a lot more expensive, but I count these two as my best musical purchases ever, by a very long chalk.

The brand prides itself on its flexibility, and yes, what they say about responding to what musicians want is probably right.  I wish they'd have continued with the 14 bass idea, but I do also understand the technical problems with not having a low voice cut on buttons 13 and 14.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal