Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Models with Binci reeds  (Read 16596 times)

triskel

Re: Models with Binci reeds
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:53:59 PM »

A caveat:

Mind you, "different strokes for different folks", and "different reeds for different boxes" - they're great reeds (I've had them in a couple of Cajun accordions, and had them installed in new 2-row Italian accordions by the factory), but I know an Irish-American box player with (what was) a fabulous old grey B/C Paolo Soprani accordion until he got the reeds changed for an "a mano" Binci set.

The general opinion now is that he's ruined it...   :'(

Cheaper reeds can sound better, depending on the box, whilst Binci's can be very problematic to install, and sometimes in use (hitting off the bellows), because of the length of them.

tirpous

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »

Mind you, "different strokes for different folks", and "different reeds for different boxes" - they're great reeds (I've had them in a couple of Cajun accordions, and had them installed in new 2-row Italian accordions by the factory), but I know an Irish-American box player with (what was) a fabulous old grey B/C Paolo Soprani accordion until he got the reeds changed for an "a mano" Binci set.

Could he not put back the old reeds ?  Is it known what type/brand of reeds were fitted in those fabulous Paolo Sopranis ??

triskel

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »

Could he not put back the old reeds ?  Is it known what type/brand of reeds were fitted in those fabulous Paolo Sopranis ??

AFAIK he's happy with it, and believes it's been "restored", but many other people (especially accordion players) feel that the instrument has lost its "grey box" tone and character.

Whilst the original reedblocks are likely to have needed considerable modification to take the (very long) Binci reeds.

Paolo Soprani used to make their own reeds.

triskel

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »

I should also add that most Quebec-made one-row boxes come with Binci reeds. Some of the older ones may have Salpa reeds, but its usually Binci.

I recently played a Quebec "MELODIE" box. It sounded odd.. I opened it up..
It was a mixture of SALPA and BINCI. It was represented as being all BINCI...
The mix did not "work".

I got two Cajun Accordions in D from John Doucet (who you put me onto Jeff), one with Salpa and the other with Binci, and they were very different. I found the Salpa ones decent enough, but immediately decided the Binci-reeded one was the box for me at the time.

I don't think you can get Salpa these days(?)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:41 AM »

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mselic

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:15 AM »

Salpa reeds were my favourite in a one-row box. Very different from Binci, although both had "bite". It's too bad they're no longer available.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:04 PM »

Are there different "types" of Binci reeds? Why do all boxes fitted with Binci reeds not all have the very loud characteristics of the Oakwood Baffetti Binci? Is the Oakwood Baffetti Super fitted with Binci reeds and, if so, how does it sound so different and have so much more dynamic control of volume?
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »

My Acadian one-row definitely came with Bincis. I'm not sure sure about my Junior Martin, but they have the same tone and responsiveness as my Acadian, so possibly.

There are different types of Binci reeds: Clem Guais told me that the box he made for me has Binci Professionals, but I don't know what the differences are between the different types. I would be interested to read something on that subject.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »

As far as I am aware Binci Professionals are the only grade he supplies and that's what everyone uses.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »

Are there different "types" of Binci reeds? Why do all boxes fitted with Binci reeds not all have the very loud characteristics of the Oakwood Baffetti Binci?
I think one reason the Oakwood DB Binci is so loud is that the size of the instrument is very compact, consequently having a relatively small internal air space volume. The higher frequencies are not absorbed in the same way that a larger instrument would do, so it sounds loud and 'shouty'.

Is the Oakwood Baffetti Super fitted with Binci reeds and, if so, how does it sound so different and have so much more dynamic control of volume?
As far as I recall, the DB Oakwood Super II and III are fitted with Voci Armoniche reeds which give them a slightly mellower and refined sound.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 02:29:54 AM »

I don't think you can get Salpa these days(?)

No, they joined with Antonelli to form Voci Armoniche in 2000

Yes, I'd a vague recollection of that Theo, but I didn't know if the Salpa brand had disappeared altogether as a consequence of it. I certainly hadn't seen or heard anything of them in the meantime anyway.

But an internet search reveals that Salpa reeds are still available, in a wide selection, from FRM Entreprises (Frank Romano) in Revere, Massachusetts, at least.

He also sells Binci reeds, in their much smaller (hand-made only) range.

Salpa reeds were my favourite in a one-row box. Very different from Binci, although both had "bite". It's too bad they're no longer available.

It looks like they are still available after all!

triskel

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 02:33:02 AM »

... therefore the consumer/buyer/player/customer would infer BINCI "professional" not knowing there are other grades.

Are there? Only more expensive options (double riveted, brass frames) on the Professionals that I'm aware of.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »

Is the Oakwood Baffetti Super fitted with Binci reeds and, if so, how does it sound so different and have so much more dynamic control of volume?
As far as I recall, the DB Oakwood Super II and III are fitted with Voci Armoniche reeds which give them a slightly mellower and refined sound.
I have an DB Oakwood Super II and whilst I haven't opened it to confirm, I was told at an Adderbury workshop (either by Ian Dedic or Jerry Tozer) that these boxes have Artigiana Voci reeds, although apparently Martyn Banks wasn't too keen on telling people what they are (allegedly).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:48:08 PM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »

I have worked on a small number of Oakwood Super boxes and all of them had Artigiana reeds. In all of them there  had been unsuccessful attempts to obscure the reed makers name
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

mory

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »

That's interesting I'd thought before that there was a similarity between Beltuna's Alex and a friend's early Oakwood. The few Alex that I've been inside had Artigiana and I have them in a Beltuna one row, a very sweet reed indeed. AtB mory

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »

Theo - I find your observation about obscuring reed makers' names bizarre.
Why on earth would you do that? I can't think of a sensible reason.....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »

Q I have no idea why,  they are certainly very nice reeds, I can think of no reason to be shy about them.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »

That's what I was thinking..... One of life's mysteries!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »

2 reasons that I can think of: they don't want people copying their set up, or the reeds don't carry a big enough name to be impressive enough for the cost of the box.

Theo did say once to me that the nominal quality of the reeds is less important than the way they responded or sounded to me. The two boxes I most liked on a recent test were the Castagnari Nik and Sander - both of which (I believe) carry Super Dural reeds (i.e. not the hand made or hand made type reeds).
By the way, I don't intend to answer for Theo, in case it sounds that way.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »

No, I realise it is your opinion, and I know Theo well enough to know he's more than capable of answering for himself  ;D
Perhaps you are right, but it strikes me as simply odd. No more than that.
I wonder how many players actually do take the time to open up a new box and look carefully at the reeds?
I confess I have no idea what I have in my boxes, and so long as they sound ok and in tune it doesn't matter to me. I have delved inside a couple of times if a reed has been clogged with a spec of dust but that has been the limit of my investigation. I wouldn't know how to identify the difference between reed makes.
I suppose in car terms, I'm a driver not a mechanic!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal