Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aide Memoire  (Read 4564 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Aide Memoire
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Sorry to repeat an old post but ironically I can't remember where I saved the aide memoire. Someone here had a system of a list of tunes with the starting notes written out maybe just for the A section. As I wasn't committed to playing from memory I stored the example away. Now lost. Would someone repost or direct me back to that thread as I have looked to no avail. Part of the problem is not even remembering which tunes I'm learning. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:03:31 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Aide Memoire
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

Best build your own with one of the music writing progs/apps, it'll be easier than looking through someone else's list

u just need the first 1 or 2 bars
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »

...Someone here had a system of a list of tunes with the starting notes written out maybe just for the A section...

Assuming you are using a collection of tunes in an ABC file, you can generate your own
aide memoire (incipits) file from within EasyABC:

Load the file into EasyABC:
Tools>Generate incipits file. You will be invited to select the number of bars to use, etc.

You should see a second EasyABC window containing the abbreviated tunes - in that window:
File>Export all>as a PDF book. You will be invited to select the location of the PDF file.

Print the resulting PDF file.

I could only see this facility available within EasyABC, couldn't see anything in any of the other
free programs I have installed.

...Part of the problem is not even remembering which tunes I'm learning...

And I thought it was just me...

R.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:23:03 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

playandteach

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:25:28 PM »

Thanks, both. I could easily write out a couple of bars in Sibelius for each tune, but there looked a neater way than having to screen shot those into a word file.
I'm not an abc user. Maybe I should be.

Roger Hare

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

...I'm not an abc user. Maybe I should be...

Ah, then my recipe won't be much use to you. Sorry. R.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:42:23 AM »

BarFly can do an incipit index easily and with configurable options, if you have an old Mac that can run it.

But that means becoming both an ABC user and a Mac user.  (It works under a Mac emulator, though).
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

BarFly can do an incipit index easily and with configurable options, if you have an old Mac that can run it.

But that means becoming both an ABC user and a Mac user.  (It works under a Mac emulator, though).
EasyABC runs on modern Macs and will generate incipit indices, also with configurable options. You don't need Barfly.
But agreed that it is not much use for P&T if he doesn't use ABC.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »

Thanks, both. I could easily write out a couple of bars in Sibelius for each tune, but there looked a neater way than having to screen shot those into a word file.

It is incredibly easy to learn. Do you realise it's not an an alternative to a conventional score, just a very easy, peasy and quick way to write simple scores on a computer (or the back of a bar mat, come to that) and store the result?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »

and for those of us who havn't a clue what an icipiti or whatever is and how one gets one either a bit of paper with the fist couple of bars worth of notes written either by their letters or as basic 'dots'  should do the trick.     Play the first couple of bars slowly and then  realise '' its that one'' and away you go.

Memory is a wonderful thing and has a massive storage capacity. It just sometimes needs a little jog  to open the right door

Also developing the ability to read the dots ( even slowly) for any tune you already know  can be helpful, provided of course you have a sheet of paper containing the dots  or can get them up on tinternet eg the session.

I normally play entirely by ear/from memory  but have over the years subconsciously developed the ability to read the dots for any tune I know or perhaps more importantly for any tune I once knew but am unable to recall.  Put the dots for a tune I have never come across and it might as well be gibberish- and yes I have tried to get the hang of it but failed miserably.!
george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »

P&T check your e-mail inbox ...
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Roger Hare

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »

...write simple scores on a computer (or the back of a bar mat, come to that) and store the result...

Presumably, if you use the beer-mat approach, you load the beer-mat into the CD/DVD tray of your
computer and then read directly into a file? Won't work with square beer-mats... (:)

playandteach

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »

P&T check your e-mail inbox ...
I just did. Many thanks.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »

a bit of paper with the first couple of bars worth of notes written either by their letters or as basic 'dots'
George - that's exactly what an incipit index is!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

george garside

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »

;)
g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

playandteach

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

It is incredibly easy to learn. Do you realise it's not an an alternative to a conventional score, just a very easy, peasy and quick way to write simple scores on a computer (or the back of a bar mat, come to that) and store the result?
I should learn it, it's just that I have such a strong grasp of Sibelius it doesn't seem worth the effort to learn how to do the fancy stuff I know how to manage on different software.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »

This wasn't a beermat, but a Slovak railway ticket with a bit of blank space available.  Marion and I were on a train and I was noodling on an electronic pipe chanter.  This tune sort of fell out, so I wrote it down in ABC and entered into my Mac at home using BarFly when I got back.  I just now ran the ABC through the converter at mandolintab.net (which gives slightly better quality than BarFly) and got the attached PDF - the conversion step can't have taken more than a minute in all.

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Marion's Ticket
C:Jack Campin 2007
M:2/4
Q:1/4=68 " March"
K:Hp
A2A>A B2A2 |e2e>f g4|a2e2  a2e2 |a2e>d B2G2|
A2A>A B2A2 |e2e>f g4|a2e>d B2e>d|B2A2  A4 :|
a2e>g a2e>g|a2e>f g4|a2e>g a2e>g|a2e>d B2G2|
A2A>A B2A2 |e2e>f g4|a2e>d B2e>d|B2A2  A4 :|

Not much to it but I wouldn't have remembered it without the aid of ABC.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »

How straight forward is it to add chords to the file? In the struggle I have with playing from memory, knowing which of the two options for phrases (push or pull buttons) is so much easier with the chords.

Although as a side issue, I'm often playing D phrases on the pull in tunes (in D) that have a lot of G phrases too. It's weird for me to run out of air on the push as so much of my playing has been French stuff which runs out of pull room first. Thread drift, but hey.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 12:24:46 AM »

How straight forward is it to add chords to the file? In the struggle I have with playing from memory, knowing which of the two options for phrases (push or pull buttons) is so much easier with the chords.

Adding chord symbols is easy. Just enclose the chord name in double quotes before the note you wish it to act upon. It's actually a way of adding any text string to the stave, but some ABC editors will also recognise a valid chord symbol and give you a separate option to expand the symbol into notes on the stave.

Here's a tune with chord symbols added. PDF attached separately.

X:1
T:Seven Gypsies
T:From the playing of Pete Coe
C:Traditional
S:From the melodeon playing of Pete Coe, tutor, Melodeons at Witney 2011
M:2/2
L:1/8
K:Emin
P:A
|: "Em" E2 E2 G3 G | "D" F2 F>G F>E D2 | "Em" E2 E2 "C" e3 e | "G" d2 B2 "B" B3 c |
"G" d2 d2 d2 B2 | "C/Am"A2 A>B A>G F>A | "B" B2 B2 B>c B>A | "Em" G2 E2 E4 :|
P:B
|: "Em" E2 E2 "C" e3 e | "G" d2 B>c B>A G2 | "Em" E2 E2 "C" e>f g>e | "G" d2 B2 "B" B3 c |
"G" d2 d2 d2 B2 | "C/Am"A2 A>B A>G F>A | "B" B2 B2 B>c B>A | "Em" G2 E2 E4 :|
W:
W:A variant of the "Raggle-Taggle Gypsies" from the melodeon playing
W:of Pete Coe at Melodeons at Witney, November 2011.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »

I use abc mainly as a way of grabbing a tune from someone on here and having it as a set of dots I can also hear it too.
I usually print it off and go and work out the chords by hand on top the stave.
I too get confused when first learning a tune so if it's a D chord I annotate a > for push D and < for a pull D.
As I get more comfortable and playing a new tune more fluently I sometimes find my original choice of chords change to let the tune flow.

I've recently transcribed my first tune set into abc and enjoyed the process. I became noticeably quicker within a short time using it.
No doubt when in my dotage I'll transcribe those tunes learnt by ear and also add the chord accompniament. I have no experience of more complex tune programmes, but for my basic approach abc is becoming more and more useful.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »

I should learn it, it's just that I have such a strong grasp of Sibelius it doesn't seem worth the effort to learn how to do the fancy stuff I know how to manage on different software.

If you can export .xml files from Sibelius, which looks possible, then you should be able to import them into EasyABC, just drag and drop them in
Then create incipits as an aid memoire from all the combined abc files put together in EasyABC
Hope that's helpful
Barry
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:19:59 PM by Barry M »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal