Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aide Memoire  (Read 4565 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Aide Memoire
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »

That does sound useful.
Does anyone just use chord symbols for a tune, to help remember how the tune goes (which direction to play the notes in)?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »

I should learn it, it's just that I have such a strong grasp of Sibelius it doesn't seem worth the effort to learn how to do the fancy stuff I know how to manage on different software.

It should be easy to import and export ABC files to and from Sibelius. I use Harmony sometimes and that can do that directly, no problems.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »

That does sound useful.
Does anyone just use chord symbols for a tune, to help remember how the tune goes (which direction to play the notes in)?

Yes. I'll be quite happy to play something differently when I've lived with the tune a bit longer, if it works better. Sometimes I'll change it on different run throughs to allow different ways of playing.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »

...some ABC editors will also recognise a valid chord symbol and give you a separate
option to expand the symbol into notes on the stave...

[off-topic on]
Which ABC editor allows you to do this please?

I might find that useful some times.
[off-topic off]

Thank you.

R.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

...some ABC editors will also recognise a valid chord symbol and give you a separate
option to expand the symbol into notes on the stave...

[off-topic on]
Which ABC editor allows you to do this please?

I might find that useful some times.
[off-topic off]

Barfly for (older) Macs was good at this. As far as I know, EasyABC doesn't have this facility, but I think some of the Windows editors will allow expansion of chords.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:43:07 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »

some ABC editors will also recognise a valid chord symbol and give you a separate option to expand the symbol into notes on the stave
Barfly for (older) Macs was good at this.

I found it was exasperatingly bad at it.  I usually wanted very simple chords - three or four notes in the bass as you can do on a keyboard - but BarFly insisted on creating six-note chords as for the guitar.  And sometimes got it so wrong that BarFly itself couldn't process the ABC it generated that way.

What I ended up doing instead was using BarFly's macro facility so I could write my own chord macros.  Rather limited in expressiveness but they did what I wanted for stuff like 18th century Scottish tune arrangements.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

some ABC editors will also recognise a valid chord symbol and give you a separate option to expand the symbol into notes on the stave
Barfly for (older) Macs was good at this.
I found it was exasperatingly bad at it.
Well, at least it tried to do it!  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »

There are about a half dozen tunes I need to consolidate as they frequently come up if one friend plays them at a session. I go back to them time and again and they don't seem to fully stick. I need a reminder frequently.
This thread has prompted me to go into some tune books I use, create or adapt a notation from the web to fit the tune book version and assemble a My Tunes list from which I can create an incipit file.
It will take a little while but stop me having to refer to a stack of tune books just to get that jog of memory.
Thanks for the prompt!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »

Quick and easy and probably more convenient than paper for those few tunes ...record the first 2 bars on yer 'phone  8)  if you have one ;)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

Yes that's a good point, never thought of that!
I do sometimes sit and wonder how such and such goes, then dig out a tune book to jog the memory so eventually having a full list of incipits  will be of use.
Once assembled I'll only have to update it every so often when new tunes get learnt. It's something for me to work on....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »

I find having the first two bars of the 'b' music as well as the incipits (nexipits maybe ?) to be increasingly useful as the brain becomes increasingly addled and overloaded with random tunes ! And then having them conveniently placed with other tunes as part of a set. Even the best known tunes - and parts of tunes - sometimes go completely out of my head  at embarrassing moments.
 And another thing - does anyone else have problems with waking up in the middle of the night with a great tune playing in the head - only for it to be completely forgotten by dawn ?

Sleepless in Shrewsbury
Old Bones Dance Band

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »

And another thing - does anyone else have problems with waking up in the middle of the night with a great tune playing in the head - only for it to be completely forgotten

I've composed more tunes that way than I care to remember...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

Unfortunately I can always remember mine in the morning. I wish I could remember other people's instead. Interestingly once I've written mine down I forget them.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »

Someone once asked Einstein how he remembered new ideas when he got one in the middle of the night.

He said "in this business a new idea comes along so rarely there's no way you'll ever forget it".
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal