Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes in 6/4 time signature  (Read 1072 times)

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
Tunes in 6/4 time signature
« on: October 26, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »

I've been learning Cuckolds All in a Row recently and wondering why the time signature is 6/4. Checking out other Playford tunes, there doesn't seem to many/any in 6/8. Does anyone why things changed, and when?
I also know that Westmorland is in 6/4 in Playford but played in 3/4 nowadays, so what determines whether 6/4 changes to 6/8 or 3/4: personal decision?   
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Tunes in 6/4 time signature
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

6/4 or 6/8 should be impossible to distinguish by ear. The main reason for choosing one over the other is tempo - if there are quick notes they are easier to recognise in the longer note values of 6/4 than in 6/8. In both, the main beat is a dotted note value that divides into 3 equal notes. This gives the lilting feel (it's called a compound time signature).
In 3/4 each beat divides into 2 notes (called simple time). It should in theory be very different- 6 should be a 2 in a bar feel - more like a lilting 2/4 than a 3/4. 
But... there are many pieces could be in 6, but are written in 3 (because each beat of 3 can start to feel like it is a separate bar).

So a lot of this comes down to feel or function (e.g. is it a particular dance form) which is informed again by tempo, but the other main aids are phrase length and rate / pattern of chord change.
If you start to feel that the shape of the melody works over 2 bars of 3 - then consider whether it should be a single bar of 6. If you feel that the melody really needs 16 bars to get through a basic statement, then maybe it should be 8 bars of 6.
On the other hand if the chords are regularly changing every 3 notes (1 beat of the 6/4 or 6/8, or a whole bar of 3/4) then maybe it should be in 3.
And some of it is down to rhythmic cells (patterns of note values)- going back a long way we used to have rhythmic modes - like we have pitch modes. These modes carried a signature mood that was understood. I suspect that some of that still survives today. For me, the rhythm of dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver - or the 6/4 version of dotted crotchet, quaver, crotchet (the rhythm that sounds like 'Amsterdam') belongs in the compound time signature world rather than in 3.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »

perhaps this is simply one where ''if it sounds right it is right'' applies?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »

6/4 was sometimes used in the late 17th and early 18th century for tunes (like triple hornpipes) with so much hemiola you couldn't decide whether to write them in 3 or 6.  6/8 doesn't give you as much elbow room for subdividing beats when this happens.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »

Sometimes tunes notated in Playford as 6/4 can be akin to 6/8 jigs. Sometimes they are 3/2 hornpipes, which relate closer to waltzes, although the rhythm is not quite the same. Cuckolds and Westmorland are examples of each of these.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »

You might be interested in this discussion
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19007.0.html
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal