Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giustozzi Model Questions  (Read 2900 times)

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
Giustozzi Model Questions
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »

Does anyone know anything about this giustozzi model? http://www.giustozzi.it/ws/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=289 Does anyone have one, or a similarish model? Are there any dealers which stock giustozzi melodeons? Asking for a dad.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Giustozzi Model Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »

I'm a dad, but in my experience when someone's asking advice or a price "for a dad", for anything; it's for the poor dad to finance the whatever-it-is for the child!!! (Not that I'd dream of accusing you of that, Huw.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »

Rees would be a good person to speak to about Giustozzi.

I bought one of these from him a couple of years ago /www.giustozzi.it/ws/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=165.
He imported a few that had been specially made for him with D/G reeds rather than semitone tuning.

It is a very well-made high quality box with lovely feel to the keyboard. Rees had used mine for gigging before selling it on, and it is my main band box. It has the Castagnari quality feel without the price. They are a small family firm like Casta.

I'm sure Rees could arrange a suitable order/import if 'dad' knows what he wants to buy   ;)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »

I have a C#D example here which you are welcome to try.

http://theboxplace.co.uk/product/giustozzi-cd-3voice/
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »

I visited the Giustozzi workshop some years back, and was very impressed with the quality of their instruments and their attention to detail regarding finishing each one properly, and getting the tuning and sound as perfect as possible before leaving the workshop. I tried several different instruments-organetto, 2 and 3-row boxes, and all played very well. I'd have walked away with any of them, but they were very clear from the outset that these were already spoken for....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »

Does anyone know anything about this giustozzi model? http://www.giustozzi.it/ws/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=289 Does anyone have one, or a similarish model? Are there any dealers which stock giustozzi melodeons? Asking for a dad.

I take it you have gathered that this is a special "major-minor" model - 2 r/h voices ("2 major and 2 minor"). No idea how that works but somehow you must switch between having major and minor diatonic scales on the row...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:09:37 AM by Stiamh »

triskel

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 02:20:15 AM »

I take it you have gathered that this is a special "major-minor" model - 2 r/h voices ("2 major and 2 minor"). No idea how that works but somehow you must switch between having major and minor diatonic scales on the row...

Well here's a demonstration of what the treble keyboard of a 2-row one does: Arcobaleno (G. di Pietro) Mariano Michelessi (test Maggiore e minore in terza)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:36:49 AM »

Well here's a demonstration of what the treble keyboard of a 2-row one does: Arcobaleno (G. di Pietro) Mariano Michelessi (test Maggiore e minore in terza)
Interesting!
Mind you, the tremolo on that box needs a Met Office severe weather warning.  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:59:13 AM »

And, better still, here's a diagram for a 2-row Organetto Maggiore/minore DOM/DOm (a diatonic major/minor accordion in C major/C minor) Schema delle note dell'organetto Maggiore/minore

The major layout is on page 1, and the minor one on page 2, whilst the upper diagram on each page (= CHIUSURA) is of the press notes, and the lower diagram (= APERTURA) is of the draw ones.

triskel

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »

... the tremolo on that box needs a Met Office severe weather warning.  >:E

That's not "tremolo" - that's MUSETTE!   >:E >:E >:E

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

Bit late to this thread so you have maybe got fixed up.  I have three Giustozzi's and have visited his workshop.  The quality is first class.  This is the first one I had from him http://www.giustozzi.it/ws/index.php?route=product/product&path=70&product_id=163.  I then wanted an Organetto and in discussion found I could specify which reeds were used, how it was tuned etc.   I chose the top range of everything and the result was outstanding and the price was still very reasonable.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

triskel

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

Sorry to put a damper on things Giustozzi but (for the first time) I found myself in a session with somebody playing a B/C one the other night, and really didn't like it.  :-\ The lower 2/3 of the keyboard sounded buzzy and lacking in power, whilst the upper third sounded very bright indeed in comparison - like two completely different boxes in fact! :(

fiddleboxdavey

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Vander Aa & impending B.Gaillard C#/Ds
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »

My C#/D Giustozzi (same as Theo's) was great.
Sound-wise it was well balanced and played very well indeed. The action was very fast. I had Binci reeds fitted to mine and they were well worth the extra expense when it was made. The owners were nice and efficient to work with and I'd recommend them.
I wonder why the B/C one described above wasn't so good?

triskel

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »

I had Binci reeds fitted to mine and they were well worth the extra expense when it was made. ...
I wonder why the B/C one described above wasn't so good?

I think you may have answered your own question, seeing that the reeds certainly didn't sound anything like Binci ones - maybe the importer got cheap reeds fitted, or something? I'll see if I can find out what the ones in the shops here have and maybe try one out, but I'd have hated to play this particular one - especially when the difference in tone really jumped out at you going up the row... :o

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »

Almost sounds as if the reed blocks are not fitted properly.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal