Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many can sight read on the melodeon?  (Read 12856 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: How many can sight read on the melodeon?
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »

I think that’s true, but for me an even bigger obstacle when ready is to know which row to play each note in, because apart from C and C# every note can be played in two different places.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »

Just to save me wading through every post again, is there anyone around here who can sight read with a good degree of fluency on the melodeon?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »

"every note can be played in two different places."

Maybe it's because I'm simple that I like simple things; like a 1-row not having those choices, and not having to work out which direction of bellows movement is needed on the treble end to match with the basses on t'other.
I cannot read music so most of this fascinating discussion has been wasted on me, but I've been following it with great interest, and not a little astonishment, nevertheless.
I was surprised when Mike complained about "not only having to remember the button but also the bellow direction." until I realised that he was talking 2-row. Whereas, on my 1-rows the in/out sequence of notes I find ultra intuitive, and (although I'm generally a reasonably poor player) I find that I don't have to try to remember where the next note is, as my fingers go straight to it almost every time.
I have, and have had, a number of 2-row instruments, including a D/G for playing along with the others at the NE group, but it's such a pain that I now turn up with a G 1-row on which most of what they play can be managed (so far, touch wood).
As has been said before on here, it's all about horses for courses, and what suits one won't suit another. I suppose that a serious player wants all the tools possible in his box and at his disposal, which I can relate to from my days as a mechanic, but all this stressing about dots, ABC and Musescore etc seems that it would detract from, what for me is, just a simple pleasure. (As long as I can remember which tune I intended to play!!!) 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »

I can sight read reasonably on a GC box in the home keys. Best in A minor, of course for my tastes in French music.
One useful thing for me is that no rhythms are difficult to read - it's what I did for a living all day long. It is just the pitch issues and only as they relate to the box - and Theo's point about which row (or bellows direction) is far less of an issue in A minor.
If I want an A minor accomp to a phrase it HAS to be on the pull, and if I want an E chord, then the right hand HAS to be on the push.
Whereas on a DG box, not only do I keep reaching for the chords where they are on the GC box (G for the DG box keeps translating to C for me) but also the keys tend to be major for English music - so in G major you have two options for chord V (D) and in D major you naturally have two options for chord 1.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »

I can sight read reasonably on a GC box in the home keys. ...Whereas on a DG box, not only do I keep reaching for the chords where they are on the GC box (G for the DG box keeps translating to C for me) but also the keys tend to be major for English music - so in G major you have two options for chord V (D) and in D major you naturally have two options for chord 1.

It might be an interesting experiment to try something I touched on earlier: Using your A minor dots, play the tune in E minor, from the dots, by pretending your DG box is a GC box
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:31 PM »

That's no problem for me. As a clarinet player that is standard practice, to switch instruments and out comes a new key.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »

I think that’s true, but for me an even bigger obstacle when ready is to know which row to play each note in, because apart from C and C# every note can be played in two different places.

When I am reading the dots - slowly - on a DG box  I work  it as a one row initially .  When I have got the hang of the tune I may or may not decide to play some notes on t'other row  but only where is either definitely sounds better   or facilitates fingering.  Where there is no such advantage I much prefer the ''on the row built in bounce'' together with  a rhythmic if not always 100% harmonious bass!

An example of   'sounds better might be using the G on the G row  to allow use of G bass if the G is a fairly long note eg in a waltz. On the other hand if playing a jig or reel where the G is only around for a fraction of a second I may well stick to the D row as  the note wont be round long enough to be noticed! An example of  'facilitated fingering' would be using both rows for the morpeth rant which is a bugger to play at speed on one row .

Theo's perfectly correct observation about a DG box having two of almost everything  makes me wonder why  so many see the BCC#  as unduly difficult or a diabolical contraption when its version of 2 of almost everything is much more logical than it is on the  4th apart boxes. and the right hand  is not in any way governed by the needs of the left hand.

george
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:05:50 AM by george garside »
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »

now that's interesting about the English concertina. I wonder why you are able to read well on that but not the mel. I further wonder if it's because on the conc, each button is just one note, like on a fiddle etc. I think for me the issue with mel is the idea of not only having to remember the button but also the bellow direction.

It's the instrument I'm most familiar with when playing tunes, I don't think about notes, pitch, fingering, anything. See dot, finger moves, which finger? who cares it just happens. It's reflex, my eyes see a dot on a page and my fingers move to the right key on the instrument and press it for the correct duration. I'm no longer a human being, I'm a machine being programed by the music.

Hang on, I'm human, I have free will and artistic freedom, I'm in control here! Ah. the dotty things are just a guide, a road map and provided I don't abuse the priviledge I'm allowed to have a bit of fun!

Music theory only binds you until you have the strength to grab it by the throat and let it know who's boss! (at which point it has enslaved you forever!)  >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

george garside

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »

. It was a interesting question in the begining but perhaps it's outlived it's purpose because it feels like it's becoming a "them and us" issue all over again.

Hopefully not a 'them and us' issue  as  different ways of playing all have there respective advantages and disadvantages making us, in my book, all equal!

george :||: :|||:
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »

It's reflex, my eyes see a dot on a page and my fingers move to the right key on the instrument and press it for the correct duration. I'm no longer a human being, I'm a machine being programmed by the music.
(:)
Some people seem to believe it's really like that.
The score only tells you what notes to play, it doesn't tell you anything abut how to play the music!

cf. script for theatrical drama...

(P.S. Nick Barber can certainly sight read)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »

I started reading first on English Concertina, hence my Melnet nickname.
I remember being asked what a note was, possibly at a workshop and answered ' dunno but it's this button...' pushing the relevant one. Somehow I seemed to have directly linking to the concertina.
But of course I didn't need to work out whether to push or pull the note or worry about left hand accompniament as has been said.

George, you really aren't a Luddite!
You use the forum and email so are used to computers which is more than some. If you have anyone close by that uses abc notation that could show you what we are talking about, you'd realise the basic use that we've been discussing is in reality really easy. Perhaps, yes, our jargon gets in the way, but to make a crib sheet, or both see and listen to a tune is very easy. It then reinforces or helps your sight or ear learning or indeed your memory.
If any of you friends are users, get them to show you just to see what the fuss is all about!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal