Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for two tunes from "Morris On"  (Read 2321 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Looking for two tunes from "Morris On"
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »

There are a couple of tunes on the "Morris On" album where I can't find notation that matches. Wondering if anyone has any pointers.

In their version of "The Nutting Girl" the "turnaround" at the end of the B part is played quite differently from any ABC notation I've found, or the version in Mally's Morris book/CD. Is there a different tradition that uses that melody or was that a variation by John Kirkpatrick et al?

Then, I am looking for notation for their version of "Willow Tree". There is a Morris dance by that name but the tune is very different. "Bobbing Along" is clearly a related melody but not 100% the same. Anyone know where they took this melody from? I really like the "chugging" melodeon that Kirkpatrick plays here and would enjoy finding some dots for it.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Looking for two tunes from "Morris On"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »

Nutting Girl: relying on faded memory but I favour the theory that JK invented a fancy twiddle of his own.

For the second question, you might have to ask the man himself.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »

I've just listened to both tracks; "Nutting Girl" seems to me to be pretty much as I've always played the Field Town jig. I haven't checked it against the Lionel Bacon book; maybe both JK and I happen to have picked up the same variant at round about the same time!  "Willow Tree" is essentially the Headington Quarry tune http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.banjolin.co.uk/tunes/abcs/willowtree/0000

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »

The Nutting Girl - we found a 1976 fiddle tunes book by Robin Williamson with the Nutting Girl in just slightly different tune from the normal.  The blurb just says Cotswold Morris. As it is fiddle based there is more ornamentation but there is a little more different than just that. There is also a 16 bar variation which is quite a bit different.  However I've not listened to Morris on for a while.
The book if you can find it - English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish Fiddle Tunes Oak (Publications) is worth a look. We got it somewhat fortuitously in the local charity shop which as far as we know has no music books in it usually, the plastic 45 was still attached.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »

Hi Jesse,
Welcome to the forum!
Each morris tradition, originally from each village, will have a slightly different version to reflect the way that village would have danced it.
GPS mentions Lionel Bacon's 'Black Book' the bible for collected morris dances and the music contained within.
It is as far as I know out of print, but the Morris Ring's website has a collection of tunes arrange in villages on their website.
Look here....
http://themorrisring.org/music

It might be musical overload or it might help!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »

The Nutting Girl - we found a 1976 fiddle tunes book by Robin Williamson with the Nutting Girl in just slightly different tune from the normal.

That's where I first got the tune. Notated in A, I think. I have two editions, one with the plastic EP and the other with a CD, bought when the first fell to bits. Robin  references Ashley Hutching's group's contributions to a few tunes in the book, if I remember right, but it was more Fairport than other projects.

I was a star struck hippy folk rocker back in the day. Didn't know flog all about morris (some would say I still don't) :D Morris On and the Albion Band were my first introductions.

More on topic: This sounds like a good opportunity to take the tune from the dots you have and play around until you work out the differences between them and what you actually hear in the settings you like. Could be a good learning exercise [edited to add Even if it does make your head spin. The more you do stuff like that, the easier it gets].
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:17:47 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »

The 1976 book is definitley in G.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

The 1976 book is definitley in G.

Yes, you're right. I should have looked it up before I posted. the A setting must have been in something else. Wondering if I dare try playing the plastic 45rpm thing. Have to dig out my record deck.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

"Willow Tree" is essentially the Headington Quarry tune http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.banjolin.co.uk/tunes/abcs/willowtree/0000

Thank you, that's the one! I guess I had not found the Headington version. I figured it must have been floating around as a traditional tune somewhere.

Thank you for the welcome, Thrupenny Bit! I don't actually have a melodeon just yet, although I think I have a line on one that just needs to be fettled before it's ready. In the meantime I have been soaking up the tunes on my iPod and learning some of them on my tin whistle, which is what got me into traditional music. I have Mally's D/G melodeon tutor and his Cotswold Morris and "Easy Peasy Tunes" books, so as soon as I get an instrument, I'm ready to start! :-)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »

Hi ( waves )  (:)
Getting the tunes into your head is a really good idea and prepares you for the 'fun' ahead!
It will pay dividends when you get your box, as you'll have some tunes in the brain that will itch to come out on the box.
Mally's book is great, it got me going. The other thing that helped was this forum ( still does!) so if you get temporarily stuck, stumped or have a thought bubble forming come back here and ask. Just keep asking!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »

Since I started this thread, I'll ask a few more questions about this album here...

So I have been listening to this album a lot and wondering what kind of melodeon(s) John Kirkpatrick was playing at the time. That medley of Willow Tree / Bean Setting / Shooting is fairly astounding to me as a novice trying to suss out what's going on. Combined with Princess Royal it's pretty much worth the price of the CD to me.

The melodeon here has such a thick chunky sound. It reminds me of a Hammond organ at times! Is it a multistop one row? He must be playing right hand chords here (right!?), but I've yet to see any instructional material that covers that style. Do you know of any? I'd love to (eventually) be able to approach playing in this style. Another good one in this vein is "The Quaker" (especially the B part) which is on the "Morris On the Road" album.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »

The Sainted John is probably playing his B/C/C# stardella bass button accordion so can make sounds us two row players can only dream of

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »

The Sainted John is probably playing his B/C/C# stardella bass button accordion so can make sounds us two row players can only dream of
Oh, was he playing that all the way back in '72? I know that's his preferred system nowadays but didn't know if he was using a good old-fashioned D/G for the Morris tunes.

(quick web search...) Ah, I see his article on the "British Button Box" was from 1967 so I guess that is entirely possible!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »

It is a B/C/C♯, but not the Casali box he usually played at the time, because that was in hospital. For the Morris On recording he played a loaned Shand Morino!

According to the sleeve notes of the Jump at The Sun album he had mastered the chromatic button accordion by the age of 17.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »

When I was 17 I was pretty chuffed to have figured out Norwegian Wood on the guitar...  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal