Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improved audio tracks for video field and home recordings  (Read 2575 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Improved audio tracks for video field and home recordings
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

Tablets post 5 have USB mic support, but it is said to be pretty limited. Better drivers are available. Think I'll try it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

penn

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

There might easily be 30 or more video clips with associated audio files on an out.
Doing a TOTM recording - who knows.

If the time and date is set reasonably correctly on both machines, the video and audio recordings should start at around the same time. If they're all in a folder ordered by date and time the video/audio pair should be next to each other.

Also... Gina said something about "high quality" AAC, and that's another reason I'd use the H2N - it records full quality uncompressed PCM.
A fundamental rule of recording is to always start at the highest quality it's possible to achieve - it's easy to lose quality, but impossible to get it back. It's better to stay uncompressed and compress for the upload, than to compress/decompress/compress again, there will be slight losses and possible artefacts.

It's true, you're not recording the London Symphony Orchestra for a high resolution commercial Blue-ray recording, but I don't see any point in compromising the audio quality when you don't need to.  (:)
Steve

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »

...It's true, you're not recording the London Symphony Orchestra for a high resolution commercial Blue-ray recording, but I don't see any point in compromising the audio quality when you don't need to.  (:)
Steve

It only costs a few quid for the hardware (about £6.50). I'm not looking for high end results, just a bit more control over them than I have at the moment. Also, I'm curious to see if it will work. I think it's worth a punt

[Edit: Bought an adaptor cable. Actually cost £2.95 free postage, from Amazon. See if it works with USB microphone now. If not there's over 300 pieces of feedback saying it works fine as a USB key reader. Worth it just for that.]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:35:06 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

penn

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »

Yup, sounds like a worthwhile experiment, best of luck!
Steve

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Greg Smith

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »

It only costs a few quid for the hardware (about £6.50). I'm not looking for high end results, just a bit more control over them than I have at the moment. Also, I'm curious to see if it will work. I think it's worth a punt

[Edit: Bought an adaptor cable. Actually cost £2.95 free postage, from Amazon. See if it works with USB microphone now. If not there's over 300 pieces of feedback saying it works fine as a USB key reader. Worth it just for that.]

Have I missed whether your tablet is Android or Win10? (Lenovo make both). You made a comment about "Tablets post 5" so I'm assuming Android. My experience of using an external USB memory device on Android 5.0.1 is that it doesn't work if you have a micro USB card in the tablet. I discovered this when trying to back up a camera card.

There is a free app for Android called Open Camera which claims to have good support for USB microphones. I think, like most other posters here, I would record as a WAV file on the H2 and dub the audio afterwards.

Or there is Padcaster. Luckily for your bank balance it's only for iPad.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »

Have I missed whether your tablet is Android or Win10?... My experience of using an external USB memory device on Android 5.0.1 is that it doesn't work if you have a micro USB card in the tablet. I discovered this when trying to back up a camera card.

There is a free app for Android called Open Camera which claims to have good support for USB microphones. I think, like most other posters here, I would record as a WAV file on the H2 and dub the audio afterwards.

It's Android 7.
Thanks for the tips about the USB card and Open Camera. I came across other suggestions of using that.
Dubbing in afterwards is, of course, the fall back position (it's what I already do). Just fancied seeing if this would work for reasons already explained (:) Also, I like a challenge and access to USB storage etc. looks useful in numerous other ways. 
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal