Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 2351 times)

maggiewull

• trying again after 60YRS
What is this?
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »

Hi folk's after many months of reading and learning from this forum,I have something to ask
while browsing in a local shop I asked to try this instrument.to my surprise it is not diatonic and
the Bass which at first attracted me was unusual also in case I cant attach photo it is two row 23 treble/26bass
with what looks the a Russian name
Thanks
Corso CC#,Echo 1V

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »

It would appear that what you have found, is a Garmoshka. A Russian type of accordion.

More details here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUJlkzFZFU

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »

I thought they were diatonic, but backwards to our system?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »

'diatonic' is not the same as having different notes on push and pull  . It simply means ( as the man in the video explains) that it has all the notes available for one particular key .  plus in this case  a couple of accidentals like what many 2 row DG etc boxes have to widen the scope a bit.

I have aways  seen it as a sort of primitive ancestor of the3 row B system continental box

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »

No, you're right I was trying to get two points in, in one go - which muddled it up.
I thought: it is a two row diatonic instrument, where the combined notes don't add up to a chromatic layout, and the rows retain their diatonic integrity using a bisonic construction, similar to but backwards to ours.
I don't think I've made it any clearer. Sorry.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »

best    leave it  to the man in the videos excellent  description and demonstration

george ;)

triskel

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »

I thought they were diatonic, but backwards to our system?

That's the one-row Saratovskaya Garmoshka/Garmonika, it's even got bells on!  :-\

But Russia is a huge country, with lots of different regional varieties of accordion, and this green one is very typical of a common style - the "Tulskaya Garmon".

maggiewull

• trying again after 60YRS
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »

HI again folk's thanks for your information, we learn something new every day.I am amazed at the
number of different types of accordions there are.
I wonder if there will be any interest in the instrument from the shop keepers point of view.
thanks for the link to the excellent video.
Corso CC#,Echo 1V

triskel

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »

No, you're right I was trying to get two points in, in one go - which muddled it up.
I thought: it is a two row diatonic instrument, where the combined notes don't add up to a chromatic layout, and the rows retain their diatonic integrity using a bisonic construction, similar to but backwards to ours.

In my first reply I (without thinking) totally understood your meaning, in both senses, and agreed with it.

Though confusing, and not musically correct, in a free-reed instrument context the words "diatonic" and "chromatic" have long been used in English to mean "playing a different note on blow and suck/press and draw" and "playing the same note on blow and suck/press and draw".

"Bi-sonor"/"bisonoric" and "uni-sonor"/"unisonoric" are only very recent borrowings, from German, for the same meanings - and still sound contrived and alien to my ears...  :-\

george garside

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

unless its a British Chromatic as played by JImmy Shand, Brandon McPhee, John Kirkpatick et al.  in which case  is it a diatonic chromatic ?? :-\

triskel

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

unless its a British Chromatic ...  in which case  is it a diatonic chromatic ?? :-\

Exactly George, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard English/Brtish Chromatic boxes explained in similar terms - we're playing on musical  contradictions!  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal