Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2017: Elizabeth Clare  (Read 7748 times)

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2017: Elizabeth Clare
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »

Here’s my recording of Elizabeth Clare by Chris Wood.
https://youtu.be/bn8imYdxU_8

I took the recording of Chris and Andy and transcribed it (in F). It ended with a few differences to the ABC earlier in this thread. For the chords, I listened primarily to Chris’s guitar against Andy’s melody the first time through before Andy then adds the left hand the second time through.

Having done that, I transposed it into G, meaning to record with a D/G box. However I then tried it on a G/C box in C in the top octave and decided to record that.

The transcription in G with the chords I’ve used is attached as a pdf. There were some choices to be made with the chords (all these notes are for the tune in G although I recorded it in C) –

In bar 3 the first time through I used a D chord and the second time a B major. Against the A and B in the melody this becomes a D6 and a B7.

In bar 5 I returned to the tonic G rather than D leaving the imperfect cadence to bar 9.
I chose to start the second phrase of the A music, bar 10, on an Em to contrast the G in bar 2.

For the B music, I wanted to start with a descending bass line  C,B,A,G, the choice being what chords to use with the B and A. I chose a G/B rather than a Bm and then a D/A rather than Am7 leaving an Am7 to bar 24.

I then wanted the descending bass again at bar 22 C,B,A but then going to D. The Am7 in bar 24 leads nicely to the D.

For the last phrase I chose to return to the same pattern as the second phrase except for the final ending I put a plagal cadence going from C to G. (Chris plays a run down from C to G at this point).

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

arty

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »

Here’s my recording of Elizabeth Clare by Chris Wood.
https://youtu.be/bn8imYdxU_8[/ur

That works really well, it's beautiful, thanks for posting!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »

Mitch - lovely stuff. If I hadn't decided to learn it by ear, I'd be tempted to copy yours instead. Great sounding box too.
Arty - how did I miss the fact that you have a GC Dony now as well as your Laura. Let's have a listen!
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »

Arty - how did I miss the fact that you have a GC Dony now as well as your Laura. Let's have a listen!

Ha ha! Do I have to tell you everything?!  ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »

I recorded a couple of versions of this, and they both turned out ok, so thought I'd post them both. Here we go, firstly on the Preciosa in Eb:

https://youtu.be/-zSQGJABe6I

and on the Giasco I in D and G (it changes key; apologies for the fromage)

https://youtu.be/SfGQesLjGSo

This really is a lovely tune by Chris - simple, memorable, and moving all at the same time.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

I've decided to learn this in D and here it is in transposed form (for those interested):

Code: [Select]
X: 63
T:Elizabeth Clare
C:Chris Wood
M:3/4
L:1/8
R:waltz
Q:1/4=130
K:D
A, DE|:F3 F GF|E2 F3 E|D2 B,2 A,2|A,3 A, DE|
 [1 F2 A2 B2|A2 F2 D2|A2 G2 F2|E3 E DE:|
 [2 F2 A2 B2|B2 A2 F2|E2 D2 C2|D3||
|:D FA|B2 A3 F|G2 F3 G|A2 G2 F2|E3 D EF|
G3 G AG|F2 G3 F|E2 D2 B,2|A,3 A, DE|G3 F GF|E2 F3 E|
D2 B,2 A,2|A,3 A, DE|F2 A2 B2|A2 G2 F2|E2 D2 C2|D3:|

My recording will follow once I have it worked out and find a suitable microphone/camera in this household... ;-)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

Ok. This is the first time I've only used my ears and memory to play a tune. The playing is a bit stiff, as I am just thinking of the next phrase.
I'll now try to find time to notate the tune, and play it again to see if there is an improvement. The struggle is worthwhile, though, whatever the playing is like.
Elizabeth Clare, by ear, from memory - out of comfort zone.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »

Ok. This is the first time I've only used my ears and memory to play a tune. The playing is a bit stiff, as I am just thinking of the next phrase.
I'll now try to find time to notate the tune, and play it again to see if there is an improvement. The struggle is worthwhile, though, whatever the playing is like.
And it is worth the effort! Getting out of our comfort zone moves us all on, I reckon.
Mike

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »

Well played. I particularly like the C chord over a G bass at the end of the A music. The G gives the impression you're going for a conventional G chord and then the C chord comes in to give a different feeling.

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »

This is a lovely tune and sounds as if it should have words to it, does anyone know if it was written as a song??

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »

This is a lovely tune and sounds as if it should have words to it, does anyone know if it was written as a song??

'Elizabeth Clare' is the tune which follows on from  the song 'Hares on the Mountain' on the Chris Wood and Andy Cutting CD 'Lusignac'.

On this recording, 'Hares on the Mountain' is, I believe, based on a traditional song, but sung exquisitely and heart-achingly beautifully by Chris Wood in his own style and accompaniment on guitar. The tune 'Elizabeth Clare', featuring Andy's melodeon playing, follows it almost by way of a contrast and foil to the emotion of the song.

If 'Elizabeth Clare' does have words (I don't know), it nevertheless is probably best off as just the tune only in the context of this particular setting.

Here's Youtube video of CW and AC performing the set in a folk club in 1996. Unfortunately the sound quality is not that good. As you might expect it is far better on the Lusignac CD, but you should get the idea nevertheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsWOZz3eec
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

Here's my go. And apologies for having become only an occasional contributor to TOTM. Now I've put mine up I can have a listen to everyone else's - a thing I usually try and avoid if I'm thinking of recording a version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpu21PQTfB4&feature=youtu.be

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »

Finally my take on this lovely waltz, qualified for TOTM and ThOTM. However, having more than just two basses would do no harm, I think ...
https://soundcloud.com/bomtom/elizabeth-clare-a-waltz-composed-by-chris-wood

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »

Thanks all - time to move on to the next tune; as ever, please stick late contribs on the end of this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal