Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for November 2017: One Row Tunes  (Read 16057 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Theme of the Month for November 2017: One Row Tunes
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2017, 02:06:38 AM »

To be fair, you know you've pretty much got all the notes sorted - the speed and ease will come with practice (fingers crossed).  A month isn't long to come to terms with such an ambitious project.

Rob.
Thanks Rob,
Not sure I'll ever achieve the speed and ease, but I do enjoy the practice at least.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2017, 11:34:05 PM »

I've been playing one-row a lot recently (not getting any better tho'), partly due to acquiring yet another instrument – a Hohner 114C from Brian of this parish (thank you!).
But I have to say I've felt a touch dispirited by the amazing posts by everyone else – every time I think of a tune to do Pikey posts it.
Anyway here's Redwing – I'm shocked to find it's an American popular song from 1907. I thought it was another east anglian classic that the chaps at morris play.

https://youtu.be/auDUQDUUhss
Steve

I don't think you should be overly worried that other people post thier version of a tune before you, it isn't a competition! Pikey loves to show off his skills but he's not throwing down a gauntlet, just playing the tune in his own style in the sincere hope that you, and everyone else, will enjoy his performance and add your own interpretation for others to enjoy and comment on!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

penn

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »

Pete, my apologies, it was an attempt at humour. I always hugely enjoy Pikey’s posts. I’m merely saddened that it often feels like I shall never reach anything approaching that level of expertise.
There is a bit of back-story behind my “dispirited” comment. This month I’d been having a go at “Oh Joe” and listening to recordings of Oscar Woods. I knew the tune already but thought this would be a good platform for getting a bit more bounce into a tune – “more bounce” is a kind of ongoing project for me at the moment. Then, blow me down, Pikey posted almost exactly what I was aiming for. Sadly even repeated views on his video haven’t really shown me the way… so I did tear it up and record Redwing instead.  (:)
Steve

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »

Penn, I don't know how long you have been playing, but every great performance you see is only possible because of many many hours of practice over a period of years.  In addition every performer has had to start at the beginning, there are are no short cuts. So instead of getting downhearted by what you can't do, be inspired by others, and take satisfaction in all the things you can do now that you could not do lats week, last month or last year.  No need to shout about them because it's just for you.  It's also great that whatever stage you have reached there is always more to learn.

THE MUSICIAN: Pablo Casals, who performed at the UN recently, is 81. He agreed to have Robert Snyder make a movie short, “A Day in the Life of Pablo Casals.” Snyder asked Casals, the world’s foremost cellist, why he continues to practice four and five hours a day. Casals answered: “Because I think I am making progress.”
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

Here's my contribution to the theme!  Lemmy Brazil's No.2 and The Cliff Hornpipe. I probably learnt Lemmy's tune from Hugh Taylor and sort of knew The Cliff from Edward II (I think?!) and then spent more time on for the Bob Cann Theme of the Month some time back.  I don't play the one row box much but when I do pick it up, these are a couple of tunes it just seems to 'want' to play.  Hohner 4 stop in C which I acquired from Martyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LxrT93DD8

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

Pete, my apologies, it was an attempt at humour. I always hugely enjoy Pikey’s posts. I’m merely saddened that it often feels like I shall never reach anything approaching that level of expertise.
There is a bit of back-story behind my “dispirited” comment. This month I’d been having a go at “Oh Joe” and listening to recordings of Oscar Woods. I knew the tune already but thought this would be a good platform for getting a bit more bounce into a tune – “more bounce” is a kind of ongoing project for me at the moment. Then, blow me down, Pikey posted almost exactly what I was aiming for. Sadly even repeated views on his video haven’t really shown me the way… so I did tear it up and record Redwing instead.  (:)
Steve

Thanks for the complements Steve ! My advice is to listen to Oscar playing the tune , over and over and over - then play along with the recording . That’s pretty much what I did many years ago ( 1977 to
Be exact ! )
Cheers, Pikey
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

penn

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »

Thanks Theo and Pikey for the encouragement. Yes I appreciate many folk on this site have been playing for at least half a life-time longer than me. Progress hasn't been bad recently but it comes in waves and I don't always have time to practice as much as I'd like. The "listen a lot" thing is a good tip, and with the trickier tunes I often put it on repeat during the drive to work (and home and to work and home...) in the car before attempting to put my fingers on it. I find it helps to have the tune bedded in before starting. I do also use the dots to confirm the correct notes.

Thanks

BTW, a great LB#2 McG!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »

Thanks for the nice comment, Penn. To add my twopennorth, as I said in TOTM, I try not to listen to other posts if I'm intending to have a go myself. This would apply to the ThOTM so I wouldn't care or possibly even know that I was about to post the same tune as someone else. It also means that I feel I'm interpreting a tune my own way even if it turns out to be very similar to someone else's version.  I wouldn't entirely agree about playing along with other musicians - by all means do lots of listening to get the tune fixed but then feel free to make it your own.
Your post sounds grand to me. I learnt something from it too - I didn't know Kerry Mills was a composer even though I know Kerry Mills Barndance tune. I thought there was probably a place called Kerry Mills - dur!
Happy squeezing.
Steve.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »

Not my playing, but seems appropriate to this thread:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muWpFcXx2DU
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Amanda

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »

Not my playing, but seems appropriate to this thread:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muWpFcXx2DU

This just made my day.  ;D
Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau l'accordéon.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »

That Accordion Song is great!! ;D
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »

Now that's funny!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »

Here’s a jolly Hornpipe played on just the D row of my new Castagnari Jilly , a gorgeous box sold only through Acorn Instruments .

Gypsy’s Hornpipe, from the Thomas Hardy tunebook of tunes from Dorset

https://youtu.be/25pRNwUlbrY
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »

Thanks Pikey - we're into December now, so time to close this theme down and move onto the next one - can you guess what it's going to be? :-)

As ever, please stick any late posts on the end of this thread; don't be shy.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »

Polkas on the old wheezy one-row in G. Inspired by Dick Rees rendition of "Josefin's"

https://accordeonaire.com/2020/08/24/three-polkas-piquee/
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »

Unusual to hear French tunes on a one row, these days people seem to feel that a three row is essential for French material but for the trad. Auvergne tunes a one row works fine. I like to use my four stop C to accompany a friend on pipes, the four reeds can hold their own with the volume of the pipes! Your polka set is just right, dance tunes played in a way you could dance to (in happier times) without any fuss! Keep up the good work, your playing always cheers me up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal