Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difficulties with waltz tunes  (Read 4047 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Difficulties with waltz tunes
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:20 AM »

I'm interested in what you put up Pete, I may try it myself, when it loads. (:)
I been doing what Anahata mentioned once about getting the left hand going to the point of it being automatic then adding the melody, which works pretty well until I start to think about if I'm matched up with the left. Sometimes it sounds right, other times maybe not. Could be I haven't done it enough.
I tend to get lazy and just play the stuff I'm comfortable with. I recently started taking a class, which has got me thinking again versus just plodding along on my own, it's been a good thing!!
It definitely takes practice.
I also like how George explained earlier in this thread about matching the Um pa pa  to the notes in the phrase or bar. That's helpful and also the part I struggle with.

Hopefully Little Eggy get to grips with this and lets us know what has worked for Him.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 01:45:05 AM »

It really just comes down to internalizing the rhythm. Sing or hum Sweet Jenny Jones while tapping or stomping your foot or slapping your thigh or "conducting" with your hand. Waltzes are especially good for this since they are so rhythmic. Personally, I find that it is much easier to learn to play a tune on an instrument once I've learned it well enough to sing, and at least for me it is easier to play around with melodic variations by singing than on an instrument. And you get used to playing around with the tune over a stable beat.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 05:50:14 AM »

I don't think that's the problem that LE is having. I do agree that what some people see as a coordination issue is actually an independence one.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Roger Howard

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »

I don't think that's the problem that LE is having. I do agree that what some people see as a coordination issue is actually an independence one.

I agree, too. One thing which helped me increase control of the left hand, given a very dominant right-sidedness, was to write the alphabet each morning with my left hand. At first this was very difficult for me, but as it became easier so my ability to use my left hand to play separately from my right grew. It might be worth a try.

(:)
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Little Eggy

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

I feel that is true in my case.  With 4/4 and 6/8 my left hand is tapping away almost independently and often almost unconsciously. When I have tried 3/4 conscious effort comes in and,in effect, gets in the way and it all collapses...even the right hand melody which I know pretty well.

Little Eggy

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »

I agree, too. One thing which helped me increase control of the left hand, given a very dominant right-sidedness, was to write the alphabet each morning with my left hand. At first this was very difficult for me, but as it became easier so my ability to use my left hand to play separately from my right grew. It might be worth a try.

(:)

That is interesting. I do Ed Rennie's finger exercises from his excellent tutorial book. I feel they are helping but it is difficult to be certain.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

Here's another video of exercises I'd use to approach the problem.
Same issue as the last one - it won't be up much before midnight.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Little Eggy

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »

OK - I've been doing playandteach's video exercises and also trying to complete Daisy Daisy, as suggested in another post.  Not quite up to standard for playing in public but I feel I'm getting there!

george garside

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »

just a thought but control of the 'tapping '' foot or lack thereof may be why some people have difficulties playing waltzes but are ok with 4/4 marches, reels etc and 6/8 marches, two steps and jigs etc.  the rhythm for 4/4/  and 6/8  is in essence um pa , um pa,  which equates naturally to um= foot down and pa= foot up.

a 3/4 or waltz has 3 beats um pa pa. In foot taping terms this equates with um=foot down  , pa pa =foot up for two beats.  It may help to get it right if  while the foot is held up for the pa pa  a SMALL amount of movement  i.e a sort of mini up up whilst keeping the foot well off the floor may help initially  to effectively  give the right timing for the pa pa i.e. a long up !

or something on those lines!

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal