Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fundamentals of piano practice  (Read 1031 times)

jorden

• Regular debater
fundamentals of piano practice
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »

Has anyone tried to apply the things C.C. Chang writes about in Fundamental of Piano Practice (free here: http://www.pianopractice.org/)? It seems to be more about practicing music in general than about pianos, so maybe there is something interesting in there for melodeon players as well.

tiny

Re: fundamentals of piano practice
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »

Well I'm not sure it this is a teasing question. Having opened the link, I find it is huge in all matters of technical and practical stuff, which is of course good but in bite sized pieces surely. Isn't the melodeon an intuitive instrument, historically used for local tunes and village dancing. 

lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

george garside

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »

Isn't the melodeon an intuitive instrument, historically used for local tunes and village dancing. 

Well said Tiny!  Indeed I sometimes wonder  whether those who  seem to want to turn the simple one or two row 'melodeon' into something  that it isn't  by adding extra buttons/rows/bass /stops and voices  would not happier with  a continental chromatic box?!

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »

(:) No, I was being serious. One of Changs main points is exactly that musical practice/learning is often counter-intuitive. For instance, figuring out what fingering/movement to use for a tune. You try a certain fingering and it works at a slow speed, but it doesn't work at higher speeds. Or with the ornamentation you would want to use. Changs book discusses dealing with these kind of problems.

Since the amount of books written about melodeons is relatively small, I'm also reading books about other instruments.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »

I guess the advice specific to piano playing technique would not be applicable, but the general principles you cite are.  Learning is a very personal process and instructors who are adamant that only one technique is correct make my blood boil.  I have to accommodate the restricted reach of small hands, let alone general slowing of an aging body  I have to accept that my technique cannot include some excellent tricks I've seen others use.

When starting on a diatonic 2 row, I found that there was a phase of absorbing the layout of the buttons, particularly as you go through the octave and everything reverses!  For that, exercises and scales are useful and they can reinforce occasionally as you progress but I believe that playing music and allowing yourself to experiment with alternative fingerings and rhythmic emphasis is the path from technical competence to musicality.

You need to embody the advice that works for you and sometimes remembered advice becomes applicable at a much later date.

Rob.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:00:31 PM by Rob2Hook »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal