Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I am thinking of giving up playing the melodeon  (Read 16893 times)

george garside

Re: I am thinking of giving up playing the melodeon
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »

At the risk of thread drift I think there are fundamental differences between good dotists and good readers.

The dotists know that they can look whats on a piece of paper and  , often without  further ado, play it at an acceptable level.  The route is  visual i.e visual input to the processor (bit of the brain)  which then sends signals down the arm to the fingers etc etc.  The processor knows that there is no need to remember the tune as the process of looking at the paper can easily be repeated- the storage is the paper!

The earists work on an audible input  to the storage/memory bit of the brain and for most people the storage is not completed until the tune has been listened to and maybe played several times. When the tune us to be played it has to be transferred from the storage module to the processor from where on the process is the same as for the dotist i.e message down the arm etc

This means that often the earist is buggered when playing with the type of dotist  who is forever playing 'new' tunes that he has found the sheet of paper for.   On the other hand the dotist is equally buggered  when the earist starts to play endless tunes, eg in a session,  without any visible means of support!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »

A strong second to Edwards thoughts previous.  I had done the same, tho another instrument, thinking, I'll never be interested in this again, etc. etc.
Of course, 3 or 4 years later....
If you can afford to keep it, just store it away for some period, say 5 years?  After than, might be safe...
Or you could loan it to a deserving member of the parrish nearby...
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

A strong second to Edwards thoughts previous.  I had done the same, tho another instrument, thinking, I'll never be interested in this again, etc. etc.
Of course, 3 or 4 years later....
If you can afford to keep it, just store it away for some period, say 5 years?  After than, might be safe...
Or you could loan it to a deserving member of the parrish nearby...

Bags I the Erika :D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »

It sounds like a tough place to be in and I know others have felt like giving up.  I am with Greg on this one...it seems to be more about your outlet for playing than your ability, style or other issues. From your description the gang you are hooked up with don't seem to match what you are looking for.
A bit of research for a session playing opportunity might be a good move - maybe someone on the Forum can advise locations.
And book onto the English Country Music weekend next year in June, where you will leave feeling encouraged and affirmed.
M

tiny

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »

Bags I the Erika :D
[/quote]  :D :D :D
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »

I can understand your dilemma Tiny. For several years I was in a dance band that had a huge repertoire and every month or two the leader would come out with a couple more sets of tubes to learn.  The result was we often played music that was not properly bedded in.  In took me a while of trying to encourage a different approach but eventually to make the decision to leave. It was awrench but I’ve never regretted it.  I found other people to play with and now have a band where we have enjoyed playing the same great tunes for more than ten years,  and I think the dancers we play for have a better time too!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »

"  The result was we often played music that was not properly bedded in."

Yes Theo that is what it feels like. I suppose I can see that now. What a great forum this is, squeezed it out of myself eventually, with a lot of help. Sorry for the pun!  :Ph

george garside

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »

.  I found other people to play with and now have a band where we have enjoyed playing the same great tunes for more than ten years,  and I think the dancers we play for have a better time too!

How true!  I have followed a similar route  but fortunately have never been expected to learn a TUBE!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »

Had a 4 year break in the late 90s, did me a world of good!, best wishes, sf.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »

I've never thought of giving up the melodeon, but I have given up every other instrument I play in order to focus on the melodeon. I am now returning to low key piano and guitar, but it was completely legitimate for me to set those aside for a while. Even within melodeon, though, I've found myself saying no to things that I "shouldn't have" but then was completely happy that I did. There's a prominent festival here in New England that is considered the pinnacle, but -- for whatever reason -- it was never a good time for me. Very stressful for a lot of the reasons you allude to in your note. Finally, this year, I said, "No," when my band was talking about going. Another thing, my current band, has come about after years of saying no to playing opportunities and possible band mates -- I was waiting for the right folks to come along, and they did! I love my current group.

This may sound selfish, but this is the primary joy of my life (other than kids, etc.) I resist compromising it.

It's completely legitimate to say, "No." Even to melodeon, if that's not the joy of your life.

Gary
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

jikeym

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »

I can certainly relate to what you are feeling. I have played musical instruments since I was 13yrs old but have, periodically, fell out of favour with them. I began playing keyboard/organ then onto Highland Bagpipe then onto Scottish smallpipes, then brief spells on Irish whistle and guitar and now onto melodeon.
My opinion is that you should not feel guilt or regret but just follow your instinct and ensure your hobby is something that you enjoy.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »

Yes Theo that is what it feels like. I suppose I can see that now. What a great forum this is, squeezed it out of myself eventually, with a lot of help. Sorry for the pun!  :Ph

So do you now realise that the problem isn't yours and that your angst is largely unfounded? Don't give up, play on and have pride in your skills, don't be browbeaten by others with hangups!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

sammypenn

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »

If you stop playing, I'll come round there and smack your legs [and you know I mean it] >:E

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »

If you stop playing, I'll come round there and smack your legs [and you know I mean it] >:E

Seconded...

Just seen this Lizz... you taught me to play I think almost from primary school age... you taught me lots and now my little brother is also taking lessons with you and he loves telling me on the rare occasions that I see him that he’s “learnt a really cool tune” or “Kieran... Lizz says you learnt this tune and it took you much longer than it took me” 😂😂😂 , you inspired me and I’m now possibly in a position to make a career out of it... It was and still is the most wonderful feeling when I played the Bear Dance with my little brother together in Leominster priory after I’d just sung choral evensong, he needs you to help him thrive and flourish and I love him to have the same chance and teacher that his big brother had all those years ago!
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

tiny

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

Well what can I say.  (:)

Kieran thank you for your very kind words. Its nice to hear how you are and your possible plans.

I seem to have got over my mini meltdown on giving up, and I'm having a second lease of life on the melodeon. Having thought it through and adjusted some of my commitments, I find I am now enjoying playing again. After the next school event I am going to return to my English music and European tunes. I'm finding I like playing my favourite tunes over and over until we become one.
Everyone here has been so helpful, a big thank you.  :|||:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »

Hooray! Pleased to hear this, Lizzy!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

tiny

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »

Thanks Steve  (:)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »

1) Lizzy - how did you get that emo to flash and substitute for a letter?
2) I was stupid enough to dispose of my three voice, el cheapo Klingenthaler in G (I still don't remember where it went!) in the early 90's. Of  course, only a few years later, I was bitten by the bug again and was properly infected this time. I have others, but I still wish I had my original ...  :(
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

sammypenn

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

See the threat of violence always works. I still have nightmares about a long drive with a first melodeon. all I could hear was a little voice saying push-pull, push-pull, push-pull, push-pull, pull-push, pull-push. pull-push. all the way home. :-[

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »

I suppose this means you're not going to give me your Erica. Great to know you've recovered your melodeon mojo.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal