Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am thinking of giving up playing the melodeon  (Read 6322 times)

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
Re: I am thinking of giving up playing the melodeon
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:03 PM »

i'm not going to sugar coat it :P how much for your melodeon? perhaps another question for the Buy/Sale threads.

will you still keep your collection? ;)
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

tiny

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Tommy. Hohner one row.
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »

Ebor, I have no idea if I have done something different, I just clicked on the squeezy emoji .

Teehee re Erica......and I wouldn't say I have a collection compared to others here, more like a small shopping list!

Melodeon Mojo sounds good eh! I like it.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

tiny

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »

still pushing and pulling.

push pull push pull push pull pull push
g       a     b     c      d     e     f#   g

with the arm movements it becomes air melodeon ;D

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »

I've joined this topic late but I would like to say, I have had the same experience and I did give up for a few years then came back to it. My problem was I reached a sort of plateau, it seemed to me no matter how much I practiced I did not seem to improve so the box was packed away. At the time I was going to sessions regularly and listening to Andy Cutting and Squeezy John and the like and continued to listen but not play, so I still had a liking for the music. So now fast forward to a couple of years ago when I got the box out again practiced up a little and went back to my local-ish session. What fun I didn't realised what I had been missing out on all that time. So my advice would be.
Take a little time out if you need to
Remember, You are you so get comfortable with yourself and play in your style. Don't worry about trying to be as good as the pro's
Play the tunes the way you want to and don't bother with learning tunes you don't like. Just because it's a session standard doesn't mean it's a good tune.
Try to practice a little every day. I think half an hour to an hour a day is better than masses at the weekend and nothing during the week.
Be critical of yourself but remember, strive for excellence not perfection. There is no such thing as perfection.
Above all HAVE FUN.
Sorry if I'm off topic a bit as I have not read the whole thread here, but I do know feeling of "I don't seem to be making any progress"
 :-\
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Mory (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Lyra

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »

I've just joined a flute choir. I was a bit taken aback when the leader said "oh, well if you've played that before you won't want to do it again". Well, yes I will actually because I like it and enjoy playing it. I don't want to "conquer and move on". It sort of (sorry) struck a chord with this thread and does seem to be an approach to music some have. And that's fine - it's just not mine.

sammypenn

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »

High Tiny. I've got a bit of a puzzle here, perhaps you can help. I have tried most of the approx. 35 melodeons in this house and friends boxes. And I find that the majority don't have a g on the push 3rd button, I have found, Eb. F. D. C. and A. Do you think I've got this tuning thing wrong, Or is there some other reason other than the Sauvignon Blank  again. (:) Dion

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »

You obviously live in an area where boxes tuned in Bb/Eb, C/F, A/D are common. In England D/G is the most popular tuning and in France G/C is the most popular, either of these would have a push G on the third button of a two row 19 or 21 button box.

Edited to add: There are also a lot of boxes around that are fourth button start . . .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:33:57 AM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo D/G, Albrecht Custom Liliput D/G
Hohner B/E, B/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G G scale, C/F, Bb/Eb

sammypenn

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

Oh dear, sorry about this, it was only supposed to be a gentle leg pull for Tiny. But I do know that D/G is the only keys being played in England, all because one man decided to order those keys from Hohner, which he thought would suit fiddle players best. Completely ignoring the old players who usually played in C. So now we are stuck with the awful high squeaky G row. Some places it is true use G/C in France, in fact I've just changed a Erica for a friend for French stuff. We sometimes do have just C/F sessions over here in the Welsh Borders, always fun when you catch out the guitar, banjo and other instrument players who have only learned G/D because they thought that they only need to learn to play in those keys. Tiny. I might pull your leg but I would not really have smacked them [well not very hard anyway, Dion :-[ :|glug

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

(Heresy Section) Which is why I enjoy playing Bear Dance (Am) followed by Horse's Brawl (G/Gm). It soon sorts out the melodeon players - apart from the two who come regularly and sit by me. I am just learning the combo on the box myself and it's a b*gger deciding which one to use. Mind, George would have no problem!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

tiny

• Respected Sage
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »

We sometimes do have just C/F sessions over here in the Welsh Borders,

I would be very interested in those....where are they and when? such a lovely mellow sound.

tiny

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »

followed by Horse's Brawl (G/Gm)

Yes a lovely change of key ....

GPS

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »

But I do know that D/G is the only keys being played in England,.

Absolutely NOT true; there are lots of players of C/F, G/C and Bb/Eb boxes in England, and A/D is not unknown. Not to mention the B/C brigade, the C one-rowers.  OK, D/G, for whatever historical reasons,may be the most common, but it's certainly not by any means the ONLY combination.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • it must be time for a cuppa
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »

But I do know that D/G is the only keys being played in England,.

Absolutely NOT true; there are lots of players of C/F, G/C and Bb/Eb boxes in England, and A/D is not unknown. Not to mention the B/C brigade, the C one-rowers.  OK, D/G, for whatever historical reasons,may be the most common, but it's certainly not by any means the ONLY combination.

;D the singer/ guitarist in our band prefers the Bb/Eb and C/F boxes to sing to, they suit the pitch of his voice and have a resonance that can make people weep ( or that could just be the awful standard of my playing  :o ..... driving people to tears... :|||: ;D)
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

Liliputs rule!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.