Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons at Witney 2009  (Read 64472 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Re: Melodeons at Witney 2009
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »

Am slightly tempted to stay by the tennis courts in me brand new camper van, but on the other hand I only live about half an hour away (espcially at early o'clock on a Sunday morning)...oh decisions, decisions....

I have the same dilemma (although my campervan is not that new), I only live about half an hour away but not sure I can manage a meal and concert without the odd glass of red wine !! (that's if I can qualify for the Sheffield meal!) Oh gosh, decisions too.......

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:50 AM »

Managed to change from Fleece to Witney hotel.  :Ph
Much better offer.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:08 PM »

Much better offer.
I have also booked into the Witney Hotel, as I do every year. It is handy for both the Friday night session and the Henry Box School. See you there!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »

Managed to change from Fleece to Witney hotel.  :Ph
Much better offer.
I have also booked into the Witney Hotel, as I do every year. It is handy for both the Friday night session and the Henry Box School. See you there!
where does the friday night session take place...or will I just follow the sound of melodeons? (That's if we arrive in time.)

oh most important question...what is the mobile phone signal like?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:27:44 PM by ladydetemps »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

where does the friday night session take place...or will I just follow the sound of melodeons? (That's if we arrive in time.)
It varies, but the last couple of years it has been at the Hollybush on Corn Street (google it). But we won't know for sure where it will be this year until we get the final pack of music and information from Dave Townsend, usually near the mid- to end of October. Patience!

Irrelevant question. Why do you need to know? This is Melodeons at Witney we're talking about. You won't have any time for chuffin' abaht wi' mobile phones.   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »

Irrelevant question. Why do you need to know? This is Melodeons at Witney we're talking about. You won't have any time for chuffin' abaht wi' mobile phones.  
So I can check this forum for...oh wait you'll all be at Witney won't you? :P
btw. what does 'chuffin' mean?

It varies, but the last couple of years it has been at the Hollybush on Corn Street (google it). But we won't know for sure where it will be this year until we get the final pack of music and information from Dave Townsend, usually near the mid- to end of October. Patience!  
Oh ok.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:53:08 PM by ladydetemps »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »

I've not managed to hear my mobile ring in a melodeon session - ever. Even placed in breast pocket close to my ear. I guess you might succede if you set it to play a Bm6 chord in the Irish session  >:E

You just stick it on vibrate and stick it in your pocket. Easy. :P

That didn't work either. Basically there's too much buzz already from the box. And the generally raucous tones of a session tune swallow ring tones whole. It's actually a problem when I'm 'on call'.  Nope, jazz unto Born Again Irish it has to be. They'll chuck me out of the session. I answer my call and go in. Simples!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:21:10 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

I've not managed to hear my mobile ring in a melodeon session - ever. Even placed in breast pocket close to my ear. I guess you might succede if you set it to play a Bm6 chord in theIrish session  >:E
You just stick it on vibrate and stick it in your pocket. Easy. :P
I just want to so I can check my emails and update my facebook status in the morning when I get up. (yep folks that's how I respond to emails so quickly).

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »

Quote from: ladydetemps
I just want to so I can check my emails and update my facebook status in the morning when I get up. (yep folks that's how I respond to emails so quickly).

Even I can survive longer than that without internet access  ::) There's far too much else (more interesting...) stuff to be thinking about and doing!

I can see I'm going to end up out on Burford Road again this year, by the time I can afford to book my accommodation. *sigh* At least I know the walking route now - nowt wrong wi' a bit of exercise first thing in the morning  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:14:58 PM by Ellie »

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »

Much better offer.
The Witney for me too this year. Every year, I manage to stay closer to the School than the previous year. Unfortunately, that probably means I will need to find a camper van for 2010!

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »

I can see I'm going to end up out on Burford Road again this year, by the time I can afford to book my accommodation. *sigh* At least I know the walking route now - nowt wrong wi' a bit of exercise first thing in the morning  ;D
If you book through LateRooms.com or similar, you don't need the cash until you check out of the hotel. You do need a sensible bit of credit worthy plastic to confirm the booking though.

Andy

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »

Oh quick question...will I be able to use a dictaphone or write notes for the 'lessons'?

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

Cheers Andy, thanks to another member of this forum, I'm now all sorted (:)

LDT - I got some funny looks for writing things down last year, but I don't think anyone minded! I just can't remember anything otherwise...as for recording - it's polite to ask the tutor whether they mind at the start of the day, but there's generally people who do so.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »

Oh quick question...will I be able to use a dictaphone or write notes for the 'lessons'?

Most everyone turns up with a music stand, music (which you will receive 3/4 weeks prior to the event), their recording device of choice. The more swotty bring coloured pens, post-it notes and snopake* and curious methods on annotating their music.

*Snopake was invented by Michael Nesmith's** mum
**For youngsters amongst us he was in the Monkee's***
***The Monkees late 60's band put together for a tv show.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »

Most everyone turns up with a music stand, music (which you will receive 3/4 weeks prior to the event), their recording device of choice. The more swotty bring coloured pens, post-it notes and snopake* and curious methods on annotating their music.
I'll have to practice my handwriting....haven't written by hand in ages....usually type.
Note to self: Don't forget to pack music stand.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:31:36 AM by ladydetemps »

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »

Ok after much deliberation. I emailed the booking form. We don't use much post over here (Sweden) Or Cheques !

Also I'm in the Witney Hotel with Jan
A5 and B1 are my first choices with A1 and B4 as reserves.

2 years ago when I was last there the session on Friday got out of hand when the teachers that were there started to compete with each other and play lots of fancy stuff that we mere mortals couldn't join in on.
They got told off on the Sunday.

I rode through Sheffield on a bicycle before Steve was born, (He could be one of mine) but I think I'll go for a Pie and a Pint. Then I can fart as much as I like.

Do you remember what happened at the end of this 2007 concert? Ouch!  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=H7TOvu8eTrg

See you there.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »

2 years ago when I was last there the session on Friday got out of hand when the teachers that were there started to compete with each other and play lots of fancy stuff that we mere mortals couldn't join in on.
They got told off on the Sunday.

The good thing about the Friday session is that it's more of a social occasion than a music session.
It's not compulsory for all of the melodeons to play at the same time but they often do (chainsaw ear defenders are good).  ;D

Oh good!  Hope I can brave it. As long as they can hear my order at the bar then I will be happy. It's also starting to sound like a good spectator sport.  ;D

I think I might stand with you Sandy and spectate. ;)

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »

Believe me, it sounds much worse when you spectate! Much better to join in and be part of the racket din music  ;D

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »

Note to self: Don't forget to pack music stand.

Every year I struggle trying to assemble the music stand and bring it back down at the end !!

Believe me, it sounds much worse when you spectate! Much better to join in and be part of the racket din music  ;D

Think I'm prepared to join in or do some air button melodeon but I won't be a speed queen  ;D That will be the time to sup my wine and take in the din  music  ::)

Can't believe how many people staying at the Witney Hotel !! (think you have your own session sorted!!)

CHeers

Sandy
 (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »

Just got my confirmation for my first choice modules.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal