Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyrill Demian accordion, circa 1830, bought on eBay for £5.50!  (Read 1875 times)

triskel

To my utter astonisment and delight, I bought another accordion (my fifth) by the inventor Cyrill Demian, circa 1830 and in its original Biedermeier case, on eBay yesterday (described as "Vintage accordion, perfect for parts") - for all of £5.50! :o

(Needless to say, I was expecting to pay rather more... ::))

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Cyrill Demian accordion, circa 1830, bought on eBay for £5.50!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »

Crackin' wee beastie indeed. Well done you

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

pgroff

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:23 PM »

Congratulations triskel! Sometimes it seems these instruments fly like an arrow directly to their rightful home!
 (:)

triskel

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:54:08 AM »

Thanks guys! (:)

If you look at the numbering of the keys you'll see it's left-handed, which three of the four I already had are. This is normal on the earliest of them and was by analogy with stringed instruments - on which it's the right hand that produces the sound (by plucking or bowing), and the left hand that fingers the notes.

triskel

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »

And there's evidently a dealer's stamp on the back of the instrument - probably that of Keith, Prowse, & Co., who (when still a music shop) were major, pioneering, early sellers of free-reed instruments:

All will be revealed when it arrives to me...

triskel

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:18 AM »

So it arrived in due course, forwarded to me via England, and I'm very glad to add this one to my collection of (very) early free-reed instruments.

Though I was somewhat upset to receive it in an oversized, lightly padded, plastic mailing bag that was totally inadequate for mailing something heavy and fragile, and almost 200 years old (it needed wrapping in layers of bubblewrap, then covering in cardboard, at the very least) - so that there were numerous slivers of broken off veneer floating about, and even some of the spruce carcase of the case (from where a hinge had broken loose), in the bottom of the bag. >:(

And I was right about there being a Keith, Prowse stamp (and also remains of their label) on the instrument. I'll take some photos of my own of it now, and add them to this thread.

Here's a link to the auction: Vintage accordion, perfect for parts

Needless to say, my eyes were popping out on stalks when I first saw the pictures... :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal