Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HA114 reed blocks  (Read 852 times)

Colin Ansell

HA114 reed blocks
« on: November 25, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »

I have a (German built I believe) C Hohner one row four stop - so I think this is a HA114.

It seems to be generally flat (eg button 8 (G/F) is -60/-80 cents!). There is a small amount of corrosion on many of the reeds - would this account for much of the flatness? If so, then I guess I should remove this (wirewool/scotchbrite?) before considering individual reed tuning?

One of the reedblocks was lying loose in the case and so I have secured it temporarily by using some blobs of hot melt glue - this worked surprisingly well but I guess there must be air leaks as the base of the reed block is not sealed to the fondo. Given that these boxes are notoriously difficult to work on as the reed blocks are originally glued on, should I take the opportunity to convert it to a removable block design (a la Erica?) by fitting an olovisc gasket to the fondo and adding metal clamps (all available from CGM of course)?

gettabettabox

Re: HA114 reed blocks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »

That would certainly facilitate future maintenance and is the perfect opportunity especially if you plan to hold onto the box.
I have several here, but only one with a removable block. (Coventry melodeon man's fine work.)
I've tried myself to remove the factory installed ones before and failed miserably. Weakest point is the slide rails at base of blocks. Theo (moderator) has mentioned this before.
It can be done, but not yet by me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal